Vehicle Laptop Desk Suggestion

Brad,

Mine is a single leg model and it does pretty well. NOw mind you, I have a trackball via USB so I don't have to mess with the touchpad mouse. That's nothing but frustrating!

It does wobble just a bit going down dirt roads so I'm looking at fabricating a brace that would hookup from the leg to under the dash somewhere to help stabilize it just a bit more.

Look at the one I showed earlier. It appears to be built very similar to Jotto. I certainly like it's price much better than Jotto and I would bet they would have an extra brace available.

I like my swing arm mount better than what i had so far. I just got it so I havent tested it out to the full extent. The pads that im looking for are just to help limit the shock, so that it is absorbed more and the comptuer doesnt take the brunt of the impact. I think i like my idea of finding some kinda jell pad. lol. Might just go out and get me some Dr. Scholes gel foot cushions and cut them up to the size i need it. Why i like that idea, Kurt your thinking. Gee thanks. :shock:

Tony they do have those exact same desks you showed in your picture on ebay for like 15 bucks not sure what the shipping is. but yes they do have them. i think all i typed in was laptop holder or vehicle laptop mount some where in thos terms and it gave me alot of the styled holders you showed.

One thing to keep in mind is the airbag. Having your Dell come flying at you at the speed of an airbag in an accident hurts. A lot.

Ooooh, excellent point Andrew. These desks should come with a disclaimer. Good thing my car is too old to have airbags. :wink:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that too. The Jotto has a little yellow sticker on the side that warns of this and a couple of other things too (I think one of them is about operating a computer while driving). Since my truck doesn't have an airbag on the passanger side, it works out. If you car/truck does, most of the dual airbag systems came with a switch that you could disable the second bag. If it doesn't, then you will need to find out wht the deployment radius is and mount accordingly.

Yep, that would be a real "Owie" and would most certainly sting!

I've recently sold off all of my remote control airplane stuff, so I'm able to get a few extras and afford a Jotto Desk. Otherwise, I was planning on building my own.

I got an answer to my previous question so I figured I would share with everyone else. I called Jotto Desk to ask them about their products. After explaining my intended use he said I definitely would want to get the tripod system. He said that it would give me excellent stability and would far outlast the dual leg setup. He also highly recommended the screen holder attachment, but I bet I could build one of those instead of paying $40 extra for it.

I've been looking around and couldn't find it for under $230. Anyone know a cheaper place? (Model 5163ACD)

Laptop deck

About the airbags. I do Forensics and one of my specialties is airbags. The passenger side airbag inflates to ~ 3 times the size of the driver side airbag. So it covers a large area. Those that come out of the front of the dash will send your laptop flying into your passenger's teeth. If the airbag deploys from the top of the dash(you should be able to see the difference) it may not be as bad but will still send the laptop flying, if it is mounted high. By Fed. regulations, if your vehicle(car, truck or SUV) is 1998 or newer, it will have a passenger side airbag. There are turn-off switches for pickup truck, but not cars or SUVs. You have to get an exemption(like a doctor's excuss) to legally get it disconnected. I'm considering a laptop mount too, but have to consider the position of it before I will buy one. The pictures that you guys have posted show some in good postions and some not so good.

Those who have a Jotto, do you have a problem with your laptop being too big? I have a 15.4 Compaq which would obviously overhang the 12" desk by an inch and change on both sides. I am looking to get the model below...
[Broken External Image]:http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/store/catalog/4.jpg
I guess the problem would be if the strapping cables would make it all the way over the computer.

Let me know!
-Tony

Re: Laptop deck

Originally posted by Glenn Schubert
There are turn-off switches for pickup truck, but not cars or SUVs. You have to get an exemption(like a doctor's excuss) to legally get it disconnected.

<rant on>

Stupid law. It's my darn car...if nobody rides in my passenger seat I should be able to remove the airbag. Literally....NOBODY EVER rides in my passenger seat. We use my wifes car for that.

<rant off>

Without naming names of the bad installs...which ones look good?

Originally posted by Tony Laubach
Those who have a Jotto, do you have a problem with your laptop being too big? I have a 15.4 Compaq which would obviously overhang the 12\" desk by an inch and change on both sides. I am looking to get the model below...

I guess the problem would be if the strapping cables would make it all the way over the computer.

Let me know!
-Tony

Tony, the straps are adjustable on the bottom. Long threaded bolts which the straps are attached to can be tightened or loosened just by turning the screws. My laptop has a 13 inch base, so the overhang is not much, but I'm sure you'd be fine with 15 inch. The bigger question might be will a single leg model you are looking at provide enough support to prevent the table from jiggeling while going down the road. I have the 2 leg version, and still get some jiggle. Working on a brace to solve that though.

Tony,

I have a 15 inch base laptop and the cables fit mine jst fine. I do have overhang but it isnt as bad as it sounds. I agree with the previous post. I would invest in the support bar. Even with that mine still shakes some when going down rough road but it would probably be all over the place without the brace. Otherwise I am extremely pleased with my Jotto. With all the ways to adjust it I can put it into any position I need to reach it comfortably. One of the better investments I have made in the last few years.

Originally posted by brademel
I'm in the market for getting a vehicle laptop mount too. I am looking at getting a Jotto Desk. The biggest question I have is if I need the model with 3 legs, or if 2 would be stable enough. I am putting this in my new Xterra, and they do not make prefabricated mounts. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

3 leg model - http://www.jottodesk.us/jotto_desk_5163acd.htm

2 leg model - http://www.jottodesk.us/jotto_desk_5169acd.htm

Tony I have problems with heat & the laptop too, where did you find that base cooler?

I have the basic 1 leg jotto right now. I had it in my 95 f150 that rode like a lumber wagon before I had it in my current 00 explorer. Even with no additional braces, the thing is really stable even with the computer on it. Sure it wobbles, but that's to be expected with a load and rough riding. I never had it wobble so much that it actually changed positions though. I'd say if you're anal and want an mount that just plain doesnt move, go with the 3 leg mount. I actually am using my current jotto for all my radios in my new explorer, so im thinking about getting another one for my laptop, and I think I'll go with the 3 leg. At least they make an explorer specific one, though.

I ordered the one-legged universal model for my 1999 Mercury Tracer last night, so once it arrives, I'll install it and test it out. Upon a couple suggestions saying I would have no real issues, I elected to stick with one leg at the moment. I'm in a pickle cause of the limited space in the front seat. I would like to maintain room for someone to sit in the front seat if the desk is up and running. While it may be a bit cramped, I'm hoping I can accomodate that. However, I, too, am thinking about mounting at least one radio to the desk bar somehow (either by one of Jotto's accessories or with RAM mount parts), so the extra weight may add the need for a second bar. If that happens, I'll probably run the bar from the desk to the angled part of the floor by the firewall.

When I get it up and rolling, I'll let you know what if any problems I've encountered. Either way, I wouldn't have gone with anything else!

-Tony

I ordered the 3 leg model for my 2005 Xterra. I'll post installation pics and notes once it comes in.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!

I built my own for around $80, 1" conduit, 12"x18" piece of welders metal, 1 conduit coupler and some industrial strength velcro. I am not sure how sturdy the $30 laptop desk that I have seen on ebay is, but I am sure I read some where that they do not recommend use will moving. I also saw that disclaimer on a few of the moderately expensive models. The one I built is sturdy enough to use while moving.

Back