URGENT HELP NEEDED: GRLEVEL3 BEING BLOCKED BY AVG

Trentham (700m ASL), Australia & Hillsboro, KS
Hi all,

hoping someone can help....GR Level 3 has been running successfully for years....AVG has been on the computer also for years...yesterday morning AVG updated itself and effectively blocked the data feed from both Allison House (subscription) and NWS servers - I have spoken to Tyler at AH and he has had one other report of AVG blocking GR Level 3. I have tried to remove AVG and I still have no luck - I've even used the removal took by AVG - no luck..

does anyone have any suggestions please - I'm about to get on a plane tomorrow to go home (sob) and Clyve will still be here and chasing for 10 days and needs GR Level 3

GRLevel3 2.02
Windows Version: 5.1 Service Pack 3
Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Description: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Version: 6.14.11.5655
Width: 1280
Height: 800
Format: 22
Texture memory: 489 MB
MaxTextureWidth: 8192
MaxTextureHeight: 8192
MaxVertexIndex: 1048575
MaxPrimitiveCount: 1048575
Vertex Shader: 3.0
Pixel Shader: 3.0

Hi Jim,

I finally managed to uninstall AVG completely!!!, did an Advanced Care scan, got rig of some crap, retarted, reloaded GRLevel 3 and it worked!!!! No idea what part of the process was the successful bit but thrilled (and relieved)

thanks for your suggestion - have bookmarked that for future use...now I need to work out what Antivirus program I dshould get which won't cause a problem.

thanks and cheers,
Jane

Yeah, AVG is perhaps among the worst AntiVirus software to use. I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and have had no problems with it and it has successfully blocked viruses in the past.

Yeah, AVG is perhaps among the worst AntiVirus software to use. I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and have had no problems with it and it has successfully blocked viruses in the past.

I agree with Joey, AVG does nothing but cause issues from what I've seen. Since then I just use Essentials as well.

Norton Internet Security works like a champ and doesn't bother end users with needless prompts related to decision making. The program does all of that and even has granular control if you like digging into options and settings. Rather than buying it on the Norton website, I'd recommend going to BuyCheapSoftware.com and purchasing a copy there. They'll send it out to you in a couple of days and then you can install and activate your subscription per the usual procedures. I've been using it for 5 years now and haven't had one single virus or piece of malware the entire time.

i second MS Security Essentials, since it's free, light on resources, well integrated, and operated and maintained by the makers of the operating system. Savvy users don't need any anti virus software at all though. Pay attention to what you click, keep your software up to date, keep backups of your stuff, and you're generally good to go.

I have heard nothing but good things about MSE, but I have been using Avast! free edition for several years because of a recommendation from someone in the business I trust, and I also strongly recommend Avast! AVG is crap.

I can also agree with Avast being good. In fact, I run that on my netbook and prior to using MSE I used Avast on my desktop. Sticking with Avast or MSE should keep you pretty safe from viruses. I also run Malwarebytes along side of MSE. Both are setup to check definition updates every night, update if avaliable, and then do a 5AM scan.

Please, please don't recommend Norton products to anyone. McAfee, Norton, AVG, etc. are just plain garbage. There's really no reason to use anything besides Microsoft Security Essentials. This is coming from a long-time hacker/programmer/nerd/IT worker :D

Somethingawful may be a low-brow comedy site with some fairly NSFW stuff in certain areas, but the Serious Hardware/Serious Crap sub-forum has a sticky thread that really is the best advice around on computer security for average users:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448981

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the AV suggestions!!!

and if anyone else should find themselves in the same situation as we did, in order to save you 24 hours of stress in the middle of chase season, this was my fix...

1. Uninstalled AVG using the uninstall tool from AVG's website (it's the only one that will remove all of the fingers stuck in various pies through the computer - doing an uninstall through Control Panel doesn't obliterate it).

2. Uninstalled GrLevel3 using the Uninstall tool for it from Start -> All Programs and removed all instances of *.exe that had been downloaded and deleted the folders on the drive as well.

3. Ran an 'Advanced System Care' scan to get rid of anything that might still be there and shouldn't be, emptied Recycle Bin, restarted the computer, redownloaded GrLevle 3 and installed it. Put AllisonHouse feed back in, ticked 'use this server' and

4. Went and made a cup of tea.......

5. Came back with a biscuit....and it was working!!!!

Btw, this last update of AVG has caused all sorts of problems with all sorts of programs on other people's computers.......

Currently in Trentham (Victoria, Australia, 2300'ASL) it is 44F, winds to 40mph, 1.75" rain - at least if I'm not chasing storms I have some weather to keep me interested!!

Thanks for all your help and we'll catch you on the plains next year!!!

Please, please don't recommend Norton products to anyone. McAfee, Norton, AVG, etc. are just plain garbage. There's really no reason to use anything besides Microsoft Security Essentials. This is coming from a long-time hacker/programmer/nerd/IT worker :D

Somethingawful may be a low-brow comedy site with some fairly NSFW stuff in certain areas, but the Serious Hardware/Serious Crap sub-forum has a sticky thread that really is the best advice around on computer security for average users:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448981

I wanted to respond to Rob Hurkes’ statement to not recommend Norton and/or Symantec products to anyone based on his experience in the IT industry. Hopefully there is a segment of this forum that would prefer to research the antivirus and/or security products they use before blindly accepting one person’s personal opinion. I vividly remember the early to mid 2000s when the general consensus among technology experts was that Norton was a hog and very heavy on system resources. I too was among those who used Norton Antivirus in 2003/2004, but decided to switch to Kaspersky based on recommendations made in product reviews by the respective staff members at Maximum PC and CPU. These magazines are higher quality productions that typically perform head-to-head tests of security suites on an annual basis. Kaspersky was their favorite at the time, so I decided to give it a whirl for a couple of years. In 2007 Symantec gained some traction when they redesigned their program offerings from the ground up and the reviewers had nothing but good things to say – in fact they gave the Norton products some of the highest marks against the competition.

At the time there were so many good products and I had multiple bootable partitions to install AV/Security software to, so I took the plunge and installed just about every product I was interested in. During a two year period from roughly 2007 – 2008 I actively used and tested these products for their functionality: Web Root Spyware Scanner, Malwarebytes, Lavasoft Adaware, Panda Platinum Security, ISS Black Ice, Bit Defender Internet Security, Norton Internet Security, F-Secure Internet Security, and Kaspersky Security Suite. Prior to that period of time (2001 – 2006) I used a couple of other products such as: McAfee, Trend Micro PC-cillin, and Sygate and Comodo stand alone firewalls. To make a long story short, I’ve evaluated a lot of products over the years and I’ve arrived at 3 favorites in this order.

1. Norton Internet Security 2012
  2. Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2012
  3. F-Secure Internet Security 2010 (the last version I used)

After this subject was brought to my attention I found some interesting websites – organizations that test security products using a standard methodology and rate them according to the results. If you are interested here are some of the more interesting links I came across during my research.

This first link shows products that have won a product of the year award for the last several years here.

The second link shows a security product's effectiveness at removing malware if your PC should become infected. Pay particular attention to the summary scores on page 7 of the report by clicking this link.

This page is interesting. A product can score as many as 18 points in 3 categories. According to the report results, Norton scored 15 out of 18, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) scored 13.5 out of 18, and Avira scored 14 out of 18. Check your favorite product score by clicking this link.

If you're curious like me you can peruse the two websites these reports come from until your heart is content as there is a lot of useful information there. I was happy to discover that my favorite 3 products scored very well in the various categories. Those three would be: Norton, Kaspersky and F-Secure.

Lastly, here is a short and sweet review of MSE that sums up the product features very well. I’m sure there are other users here who will find other reviews that cast MSE in much better light, so if you find such an article feel free to post a link so we can all check it out. My intention was never to imply that MSE is an inferior product, but to defend my position for recommending Norton products. I hope this helped to shed some light on why I recommend Norton products in the first place. It’s based on several years of test driving these products and sifting through what I believe are the better offerings out there. When I login to my online banking the last thing I want to see is a big bagel for an account balance, so that's another reason I believe in purchasing a security product and keeping it updated throughout the year. Sorry for the long winded reply.

Back