Typhoon 4/Man-yi

Hi all. I didn't send any updates because I was too busy playing outside.

Winds in the eyewall are about 100kts. Gusts seem to be about 120.

We haven't lost electricity. I will leave you all to be amazed at that.

I wish I had an interesting story to tell, but basically, I don't. I went outside, took video, which was pretty boring. With not much damage, you can't really tell how strong the winds are. I did however, lose my glasses in one gust of 100+, but I found them about an hour later when we were in the eye.

Most people went to work, the only reason I didn't is because I work at a Japanese Public Elementary school, and needless to say, today is their version of a snow day.

There is some damage to the electric power lines near my apartment, and last night a transformer blew, but we lost electricity for only 10 minutes.

We have some water seeping in around the south facing doorwalls, which are directly facing the the south eastern eyewall, but nothing that towels haven't been able to soak up.

Like I said before, most people went to work, and the tv showed long lines of traffic going around a mini Van flipped on its said. When I say mini, I mean mini- 660cc engine, two seats, probably about 1500 lbs. The flipped car wasn't so surprising to me, but the thousands of other cars driving around in the eyewall were.

My computer decided it won't capture video, so until I figure that out, you will have to wait for the boring video.

To recap, nothing much is happening, except 100 knot winds, and 120 knot gusts. I won't say it is an anti-climax, in fact it has been great fun and good luck so far. Nothing like trying to move about in 80 knot winds, feeling the sting of the rain, and getting knocked down by a stronger gust. I am still trying to decide is it is really possible to ambulate during 100kt winds. By today's experience, I would say no.

Radar:

794515400_ee68d74364.jpg

It looks like Naha was in the eastern edge of the eye as winds dropped down to 25 kts with a pressure of 940 mb. Based on the wind and distance to the center it looks like the MSLP was around 935 mb. Naha experienced the eyewall twice but was more exposed for the second round with winds of 62G82 kts. These winds seem rather low and I have to wonder how exposed this obervation site is. Kadena to the north was similar with 66G86 kts and a gust to 91 kts 20 minutes later.

While it is difficult to judge wind speeds by eye, at my location the wind speed was stronger during the second eyewall. I would estimate 75-85 knots with gusts to 110. My location is much more exposed to the southwest, hence, the damage from the 2nd eyewall is a little more severe, but still only consists of broken branches, and light structural damage to secondary structures.

They only reason I allow myself to venture even a guess at the wind speeds is simply experience. I have seen several typhoons, including the big Miyako Typhoon in 2003, which had gusts to 160.

This storm caused the building to shake, and water to leak in past the window seals, which generally occurs at around 100 kts. Also, upon surveying the local area, there was tree damage, with healthy trees losing branches up to 3 inches in diameter, and minor structural damage to homes and outbuildings. I would say that most of the damage was due to gusts, and based on the damage those gusts were around 100-110, with a couple higher gusts to 120 likely.

I should note that my building is on a hilltop, about 50 meters above sea level, near the southern tip of the island. The southern tip is actually a kilometer or two west of Naha, and therefore we were a little deeper into the storm I believe. While the skies didn't clear, the winds were close to zero during the eye.

All this leads me to question the ability of forecasting wind speed. Every typhoon I have experienced has been forecast at 10-20 knots faster than actually occurred, with the exception of the Miyako Typhoon.

I have a fever of about 102, which is making it hard for me to make sense, so please excuse any completely incoherent things I have said :) Then again, even without a fever I can be pretty incoherent...

Will get some video up if I can ever get my computer to capture video again...

I have a fever of about 102, which is making it hard for me to make sense, so please excuse any completely incoherent things I have said :) Then again, even without a fever I can be pretty incoherent...
I would recommend to lay down in bed and get some rest instead. 102 degrees fever is no joke.

By the way, do you have any English language media over there?

Is it just me or the storm is very large?

Good day,

Yup ... Got sick 90% of the time myself during any hurricane (same as typhoon) chasing - Sleep deprivation and adrenaline causes your defenses to go down and you catch anything. Hope you feel better.

I am wondering about the lesser-than-expected damage. You say the units are in Knots, right ... Are they saying Kilometers-Per-Hour, by any chance?

I know the metric system is used extensively outside the USA, so I am just wondering.

If the units are KM per Hour, then a value of 100 KM Per Hour is like 62 to 63 MPH, or about 54 Knots (a KNOT is 1.15 MPH, and a KM Per Hour is 0.625 MPH).

One Knot is also 1.84 KM Per Hour.

I am trusting the latter as Knots, and think the lesser damage is due to much stronger buildings there.

Oh, and not to mention that they work through those things and never take off unless it's a SUPER typhoon!

I guess if I lived in Japan I cannot use the excuse of not coming into work today as often if a system hits ;-(

Chris, actually, 1 knot is 1,852 km/h or 1 nm/h. I know it exactly, as its exact value of know in our scale is 0,51(4) m/s, which 0,51(4) m/s*3,6=1,852 km/h.

Also...
cdcollura said:
I guess if I lived in Japan I cannot use the excuse of not coming into work today as often if a system hits ;-(
Welcome to my home country. Storm surge might be about to rush in at the coast and winds could be in 70's, but offices, not to mention schools remain open. I don't know, what is this - some issue with mentality etc, like - ah, nature can never harm us or... nah, all the big storms are in USA and not here...

While it is difficult to judge wind speeds by ......eye, at my location the wind speed was stronger during the second eyewall. I
All this leads me to question the ability of forecasting wind speed. Every typhoon I have experienced has been forecast at 10-20 knots faster than actually occurred, with the exception of the Miyako Typhoon.

The winds quoted by the warning agencies are always for over water exposure and will be about 10% higher than anything experienced on land. The exception is for higher terrain where the gusts can approach the over water wind speeds/gusts. Winds at coastal stations often are less than the reported sustained wind of the storm. Unfortunately this often leads residents who almost never experience the full force of the storm to question the intensity. With that said I believe JTWC was a little high on their intensity for this storm.

Do you have a barometer?

Naha launched an 18Z sounding yesterday but I have been unable to find it, only the 00Z.

My observation in landfalling hurricanes along the gulf coast and Carolina coast that I've been in is you usually hear the highest wind gust is either just under the highest sustaind value you hear in the advisory. In the deep tropics however like in the tropical islands you will see the sustained winds and the wind gusts either as high or somewhat higher than the advisory. This is probably due to the tighter gradient near the core of the storm and deeper convection in the eyewall of the storm in the lower latitudes.

i am stationed in Yokosuka, Japan Man-yi hit us as a tropical storm with winds of 33knots with gusts 40 kts and some heavy rain right before it sped to the northeast and became extra tropical.

Ok, very late, but here it is. I finally got my computer to accept DV again so here is The totally boring video of Man-yi taken from my apartment. Please excuse my stupid comments...I had a fever of 102F.

I can't stress how boring this storm looked, despite the weather guys on the little hill above my apartment saying the max instantaneous gust they recorded was 62m/s, which is about 125 kts(lowest press at their station was 934). So my eyeball for windspeed was pretty good. Like I said before, it was this instantaneous gust, and the several other strong gusts that did most of the damage I believe. It was a weak Cat 3/strong Cat 2, which while isn't something you want to doodle into the wind at, it certainly wasn't historic, especially in a place that gets cleaned up by typhoons every year.

Have a great day!

Sorry for reopening this, but i never thought there would be a such a thread on my 4th, but most powerful typhoon id experienced on Okinawa aftering being stationed there for nearly 3 years.

i uploaded a video on youtube pretty much the same day, stupid idiots in the dorms broke into the janitors closet and ate all the MRE's the nite prior, so some of us didnt have food. It was almost like anarchy in the dorms later that afternoon, someone knocked on my door with a knife looking for food. Course he was joking. All in all, i was extremely happy and content experiencing the most powerful winds ive ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeo3AZd2O1s

a little sidenote, i closed the window at the end because the rain sheet to the south of the dorms was moving towards me, the dorms 200 yards away disappeared and then the chow hall because the rain was so intense. But i couldve swore that Man-Yi hit Okinawa as a weak Cat-4?

Pulled this off Wikipedia - "Man-yi was upgraded twice to super-typhoon strength over the next day as it passed through the Okinawan prefecture, with a 1-minute peak of 155 mph (249 km/h). The passage of Man-yi resulted in 37 injuries and widespread power outages in Okinawa."

But if i had to pick a Typhoon "Bust", it would be Super Typhoon Soamai August 2006. The storm was predicted by the JMA and NRLMRY to strike Okinawa as a strong Cat-4, but at the last minute it changed course and headed for China strengthening as a Cat-5 and claimed 458 lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typhoon Bust

Nice video there Chris.

I travelled to Okinawa in September 2005 to try and intercept typhoon Nabi which was due to hit at 145kts but it weakened and veered off to pummel Amami Oshima instead.

Still had a good time and it didn't cost me much to get there from Taiwan. Busts are a part of chasing TYs, especially on islands but they do make the successful chases all the more worthwhile!

Back