TS 06L ( Tropical Storm Fay)

Good Morning,

Well fellas it looks like I will be easy chair chasing this one. Currently it appears to be tracking right over top of the MS Gulf Coast. I found a great website called Tropical Atlantic.com that has tropical message decoders and a KML overlays for Google Earth of the objective aids.

Here's some rainfall data and windspeed data attached in the file from the Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne, FL taken from a "FIT supported rain gauge/weather station on top of Roberts Hall -- a
tipping bucket gauge"--information I received and was given permission to post from Dr. Steven Lazarus and explained here by Dr. Michael E. Splitt
-----[quote begins]---
a) The top plot is the 1 min ave wind speed/gust (mph).
Note the clear passage of the storm center.

b) The middle plot is the rainfall rate (5 min ave in mm/h) and radar reflectivity dBZ.

c) The bottom is the accumulated rainfall from Robsets Hall, and that derived
from the radar using a tropical Z-R [relationship of Z=250R1.2]. Note that
this Z-R relationship appears to underestimate the rainfall; though this is a first
cut a the calculation (using level III based reflectivity interpolated to the location
of Roberts Hall) it is interesting.
----[quote ends]------
Did anyone mention that Cocoa Beach got 33 inches from Fay?
Some of my students mentioned they encountered waist and even chest-high water with some of the roads at the FIT campus. In the building I work, I wasn't there, but apparently water was pouring from the elevator on the 6th floor Wed. & Thurs. When I was back on Friday multiple rooms had fans at work to dry the wet carpets. Keep in mind FL was in a drought before this storm--no longer. Wonder what the flooding would (will?) look like if/when another (or few?) tropical systems come through on top of this. I live about a mile from Windover Farms that had some very high rainfall as well. Today the water level seems to have gone back down in the wetland/pond behind my apt.

Attachments

• TSFAY_RH_FIT.jpg
    TSFAY_RH_FIT.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited by a moderator:
Back