Tri-State Tornado Presentation Today Dr. Doswell - Preliminary Results

I'm more interested in how one goes about debunking or confirming facts or myths from an event that's over 80 years old. There can't be much detailed data from this event. Was there new information that was previously unavailable, or did the original research team just drop the ball on all of this?

The group listed above has indeed come up with new evidence. They have data from a weather station out of Cairo, Illinois. This was extremely difficult to obtain - sounds like it was actually rescued by the group. The group also have obtained a lot of eye witness testimony and family historic information.

Yes there is a lot of new information available. They have pinpointed the damage path in extreme detail. Driving up and down roads - interviewing basically anyone and everyone that lives in the damage path.

I believe that this will be an incredible study/documentary once the books are released.

I can't wait :)

The first time I read about the Tri-State Tornado was back when I was in second grade and learning to read. I was an advanced reader for my age, and already fascinated by tornadoes, so I was delighted when I found a book in our school library about tornadoes. It provided my introduction to the "Great Tri-State Tornado of 1925," and like many on this forum, I've been fascinated by that particular storm ever since. I'm really pleased to see that it has been researched by such an eminently qualified team as Doswell et al, and I am majorly looking forward to the publication of their findings.

Last edited by a moderator:
The group listed above has indeed come up with new evidence. They have data from a weather station out of Cairo, Illinois. This was extremely difficult to obtain - sounds like it was actually rescued by the group. The group also have obtained a lot of eye witness testimony and family historic information.

Yes there is a lot of new information available. They have pinpointed the damage path in extreme detail. Driving up and down roads - interviewing basically anyone and everyone that lives in the damage path.

I believe that this will be an incredible study/documentary once the books are released.

I can't wait :)

I read somewhere (I thought it was in this thread but I could not find it again) that a lot of new information, or rather rediscovered old information, was found by scouring local libraries, court houses, universities, and individuals. Where I read that I cannot remember, but if my memory serves me right the old Weather Bureau did not have standard procedures for record retention and records were given to various institutions or just thrown away in some cases. I wish I could find that source. It's been two years so that a lot of sleep and a few beers ago.

Back