Tornado Week on TWC

So who's actually watching?
Purely discovered this by accident sat evening channel surfing as they were doing the La Plata monster.
Missed Sunday's episode just to turn on the tube tonight and see they're doing MY[/b] tornado>>Mulvane, KS. I just about did backflips down the hallway. I definately was not expecting to see Mulvane on Tornado Week.
Oh yeah so your prob wondering why its MY tornado. Well it really isnt my tornado or anyone's except those that it hit but it was my first tornado. Took me 21 yrs to see it, and only my third chase, all in 2004.
I was like glued to the screen just in awe b/c I remember being just 1 mile east of the tornado on that road that runs NW/SE and witnessing all the sudden a massive cloud of debris shoot up and thinking "Oh my God, something just got destroyed" I wasnt able to see it b/c the base was obscured by trees. But it was just really really eery watching this on tv and realizing these are the peoples homes I saw go flying in the air. My jaw was on the floor the entire length of the show.
Well just curious to see if anyone was watching.
Tomorrow they're doing the Nashville tornado, of which I am very interested in that being my old neck of the woods and having been to Nashville on many occasion.

Well... I simply don't like TWC's Storm Stories so I haven't even been watching tornado week, so far...

They show too little actual tornado footage and more old ladies being interviewed. You'd think that a channel that could afford the throw hundreds of dollars away by buying footage of people walking down the street with their dog could afford some good footage that could run for more then 45 seconds per episode. :wink:

..Nick..

Well... I simply don't like TWC's Storm Stories so I haven't even been watching tornado week, so far...

They show too little actual tornado footage and more old ladies being interviewed. You'd think that a channel that could afford the throw hundreds of dollars away by buying footage of people walking down the street with their dog could afford some good footage that could run for more then 45 seconds per episode. :wink:

..Nick..

Shoulda watched. There was quite a bit of actual tornado footage from that day.

This thread needs saved , so when we complain in 2 years from the replays of these on Storm Stories over and over..... :p

I am hopefully going to watch all of them. I am watching the one on the Nashville tornado right now. I think they are usually pretty good. The only thing I have been slightly upset about before is that they usually run a lot of reruns. That is ok though, I still watch them and I still like them. So far there has been one that I have not seen so far. (It was the one on Sunday about the Hallam tornado.)

After watching a basketball game on Sunday, my wife channel surfed her way to TWC and they were showing one of those episodes. She called me in and they were interviewing this chaser regarding the Conway Springs tornado. I was like, "that guy looks familiar". Turns out, he was a friend of mine in high school (in the 80s) who I actually play basketball against in a church league. I had no idea he was a chaser/spotter.

He and his friend were the ones who found that woman wondering down a country road after she was picked up in the tornado. It was kind of interesting as they ended up on that road due to poor navigation.

Maybe I've finally found a chase partner!

I usually like Storm Stories when they're about tornadoes. Too often they're about floods, fires, boats getting caught in a storm at sea, avalanches, etc. -- which I usually find uninteresting. (Hurricanes can be interesting, though.)

I, too, wish there were more tornado footage instead of interviews, but I actually enjoy listening to the account of the event from the perspective of ordinary (i.e. non-weather enthusiast) folks.

Occasionally some of the post-tornado footage can be quite compelling. For example, who can forget the video of the law enforcement officer rescuing the baby on 5/3/99? I'm also amazed sometimes at some people's stupidity with regard to tornadoes. For example, people who don't think about taking shelter because, "We've heard tornado warnings all our lives and one never hit before," or certain storm chasers who drive right up to a tornado, so close that debris is hitting their vehicle, and pull away "at the last possible moment."

For example, people who don't think about taking shelter because, "We've heard tornado warnings all our lives and one never hit before," or certain storm chasers who drive right up to a tornado, so close that debris is hitting their vehicle, and pull away "at the last possible moment."

...Or that one a few days ago where those guys were cheering as a house was lifted up into a tornado - disgusting - That's a BIG negative strike on the perception of chasers. I mean, they were interviewing an old blind lady, and then switch to that clip as she's describing the horror... I was actually ANGRY... I believe it was up in one of the Dakota states.

As for chasers actually getting close, that's just personal preference - If they want to endanger their lives for the sake of thrill, then go ahead - Skydivers and stunt plane pilots do it all the time..

I'm also amazed sometimes at some people's stupidity with regard to tornadoes. For example, people who don't think about taking shelter because, "We've heard tornado warnings all our lives and one never hit before," or certain storm chasers who drive right up to a tornado, so close that debris is hitting their vehicle, and pull away "at the last possible moment."
My jaw just about fell off while I watched the episode about the guy who dragged his friend out looking for tornadoes on a whim on 5/3/1999, having been inspired by the 4/26/1991 KS turnpike video; then they ended up under the overpass in Moore where a person was killed by the tornado. I was thinking, "This is a blind man leading a blind man."

Back