Thunderstorm in NJ

Just got a nice little squall line here in Northern NJ that even produced a few bolts of lightning and some really loud thunder. Quite late in the year (12/23) for thunderstorms (at least it's the latest I can remember). Happy Holidays to all.

Any other stories of late year thunderstorms in places that dont normally get warm enough?

Just got a nice little squall line here in Northern NJ that even produced a few bolts of lightning and some really loud thunder. Quite late in the year (12/23) for thunderstorms (at least it's the latest I can remember). Happy Holidays to all.

Any other stories of late year thunderstorms in places that dont normally get warm enough?

December 6th of (I believe 1999) featured a line of really intense thundestorms across MI. My specific area received a gust of nearly 100mph, uprooted several large pine trees, damaged a few houses, and ripped our flag pole from the side of the house -- The gust appeared to be a local microburst, as this was not the typical damage experienced along the rest of the squall line. The lightning was also very intense... Just goes to show what a strongly forced event with intense wind shear can do!

I used to live in Northeast Philadelphia, PA. I remember seeing squall-line thunderstorms in wintertime. Saw snow accompanied by thunder and lightning, even. And, in February of '97, I saw a funnel cloud and the air temp was no warmer than 45 degrees.

It is uncommon for severe thunderstorms to happen during the winter,however, it isn't impossible for it to happen.

Back