The strongest tornado ever videotaped in South America

Alexandre Aguiar

Indaiatuba, countryside area of the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil.
May 24, 2005.
Multivortex Tornado recorded by a traffic cam in a freeway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwLaDYxEAXs

Meanwhile we are trying to get pictures of the damage produced by the strongest tornado in history so far in South America. Argentinians mets say it was a F5. 65 people died in the event that occurred in San Justo in 1973.

That is some amazing video. It is odd watching what appears to be a strong to violent anticyclonic tornado. Any more information available on this tornado and the damage it caused?

what makes you say its strong to violent? its size? im not trying to start anything here, but it didnt look very strong. in fact, the motion at ground level was rather weak. size isnt always a factor is the strength of a tornado.

what makes you say its strong to violent? its size? im not trying to start anything here, but it didnt look very strong. in fact, the motion at ground level was rather weak. size isnt always a factor is the strength of a tornado.

Mike, I think Alexandre was referring to another tornado that was strong/violent. "Meanwhile we are trying to get pictures of the damage produced by the strongest tornado..." I thought the same thing you did until I read the post more carefully.

Regarding the video:
Very impressive tornado---and what a view!

Gabe

I don't think it's anticyclonic, because on the video, it looks to be rotating clockwise. Given, that Brazil is on Southern Hemisphere, clockwise rotation should be cyclonic.

I was alluding to the fact that I am used to watching video of northern hemisphere tornadoes and storm motion. It watching things rotate in the opposite direction. I should have worded that better.

It appears that i misread the initial post. I also noticed that the motion at ground level appeared to be somewhat weak for a "violent tornado".

Back