The storm chaser vehicle "look": stickers and other items

"Attention seeking" has been a common and rather pejorative caricature over the years used in the criticism of a chaser who utilizes common chase vehicle accessories. But is it really a fair assessment? I say sometimes yes, more often, no.

NFL/college football fans display pride in their teams and love for the game with pennants, t-shirts, bumper stickers, jerseys, etc. In Pittsburgh you'll find black cars with Steelers stickers, license plate holders, pennants on the antenna, and Terrible Towels on the seat backs. Some black cars even have yellow stripes. When I wear a Steelers shirt, almost anywhere I go I run into a fan who enthusiastically strikes up a conversation about them.

In St. Louis, it's the same thing with Cardinals fans. A red t-shirt with a Cardinals logo earns you a bit of acceptance here. There are Cardinals bumper stickers, logos, vanity plates and regalia almost everywhere you look in some places.

You'll find the same thing with bass fishing. Golf. Hunting. Mountain climbing. Skydiving. Surfing. People generally like to publicly display their affinity for something they love in some way. Something that 'marks' them as a member of that group. Some do it big. Others small.

No one says to the guy with a Steelers sticker on his car (or more) "You're just after attention". No, he's a big fan, and wants others to know. Why? I don't know, I'm no psychologist. But could it be, maybe, that storm chasing is no different? For us, over the years, it's been Skywarn stickers. SPC stickers (I had one). Vanity plates. And dare I say, amber lights, weather stations and antennas: the quintessential "chase vehicle" imprinted into our heads by the NSSL vans and Vortex I vehicles. (I wrote a more detailed blog post about this here)

I'm not saying there *aren't* those just "seeking attention" in the immature and frivolous sense. Clearly, there are some. But maybe, just maybe, some are simply trying to "look the part", as misguided as some of their methods may be.

I've migrated across various angles on this issue. When I started, I had nothing on my car. I eventually cycled through phases with logos, amber lights, weather stations, stickers, vanity plates over the years. I'm now almost completely incognito.

Why did I have amber lights and logos? Back then, it was a combination of things. 1.) I loved storm chasing. 2.) The items were fun to build and install. 3.) I wanted to look the part - to avoid suspicious locals/police, and to 'mark' myself just like a Steelers fan does. 4.) I also figured there would be some actual use for some of the items ("if Vortex I/NSSL used them, they must be legit"). 5.) I wanted to advertise my web site, just like the local HVAC company does on their vans.

I learned through the years that none of those things really matter much. I still love storm chasing. But, I never got any appreciable traffic to my web site from the logos. I almost never switched the amber rotator on (I used it more during icy roads). The weather station broke and never really worked well to begin with. The only accessories on my car now are things I actually need and regularly use.

I've also changed as a person. I've learned that I really don't like the impromptu attention during a chase or at the late-night gas station or restaurant stops. I want to 'blend in' more now. But what about the guy who decks his car out? I admit even now I have mixed feelings. Part of me cringes. Part of me says, there's a guy who is doing something he loves, and I can identify with it to some extent.

I will probably never go back to having a high-profile vehicle that screams 'this person is a storm chaser'. But hopefully we can try and understand why it is still a "thing". Maybe this post helps answer that, if just a little.

I speak for no one but myself, but my issue with the stickers, decals, modified vehicles, etc etc is the fact the majority of those types have 50 pics of their vehicle on their websites and no storms pics. I get that it's a sub-culture and an activity that can be related to other activities like chasing. But it's in my DNA to scoff at anyone who's all up front about their vehicle and I can't think of a single tornado they've seen, not a single event that would be their "feather in the cap." For me, the actual chasing and results come first regarding a chaser. All the other stuff is fluff. And to see the folks who literally have pages of pics of their setup, radios, tires, antennas, whatever and nowhere do I find actual tornado pics....to me that's a poser.

Do all the other stuff as much as you want, but if you're looking for acceptance and respect as a fellow chaser....you gotta be a chaser first.

I have the small SKYWARN magnet on the back of my car. On the other side of the hatch, I have a magnetic shamrock. Both of these thing mean nothing to most people, but I like 'em.

I also have the large magnets that I only put on the car when I'm out in the boonies at night photographing lightning, typically stationary or they'll just blow off. As I mentioned in the other thread, which apparently rubbed some the wrong way, I use those to 1) help ID myself to any local law enforcement. Whey they see the reflective magnets, they usually just wave and cruise on by, not bothering to waste their time checking into my 'suspicious activity.' And 2) reflective signage on a car at night in the middle of nowhere usually makes curious locals give a wide berth. I've had some sketchy run-ins over the years where I felt threatened for either bodily harm (usually drunk rednecks out looking for trouble), or at least having my gear taken from me. The "official" look of the magnets gives those unsavory characters pause to think twice. (that and the sheriff told me I should be armed...but that's another thread).

The fact that anybody really takes issue with someone displaying signage is simply childish. Safe to assume we're all adults here, since most of us probably have drivers licenses...so those who really think people are being attention whores by showing off what they like are just sad souls and internet trolls. I honestly can't imagine someone coming up to me in real life, while on a chase, and giving me s#$t about having a magnet on my car. Grow up and find a new hobby...leave the rest of us to enjoy what we have a passion for.

My $0.02.

-M

Within months of putting a small skywarn sticker on my rear plate specifically so law enforcement will see it I got pulled over when chasing. The LEO saw my laptop screen and thought I might have been involved in credit card skimming at local gas pumps. He told me that after I pulled over he saw my sticker and knew I was chasing/spotting so he immediately let me go without questioning. So there's your substantial evidence.

I don't have any logos, stickers or anything else on my vehicle but I'm seriously thinking about maybe a door decal or lettering, nothing flashy. One for the exposure for my photography name (which may not garner much), and another reason is just because it would be a fun diversion from what I've always done in the past, which is to be under the radar. On one hand, I appreciate those who aren't flashy and just go out an enjoy it for what it is. On the other hand, it's awesome that someone would be able to put so much into something they enjoy and if they want to stand out, why not? It really doesn't hurt anything for the most part, although the lightbar issue is one of concern at times.

I remember seeing Greg's "Tornado Hunters" truck out this summer and I thought to myself "Really?". But again I understand the need to be known, branded, etc if you're trying to make something more out of this hobby.

But to Shane's point, most everyone knows who is playing chaser and who is being a chaser.

I think lightbars are annoying and stupid. They are distracting on my video and I still fail to see the actual functionality of them. Being more visible is a crock. Hazard lights accomplish the same thing.

Stickers and logos dont bother me at all. Using myself as an example, chasing is my life and I am proud of what I do and have been able to accomplish. Of course I want it to be what Im known for, so I will proudly display what I do and any brand I am associated with. Im in the same boat as others in regards to people whos websites consist of nothing but flashy vehicle pictures and no meat to back it up. All that tells me is your a spoiled brat with a large allowance because your parents dont want to actually deal with you so you need to try to gain attention from others. Color me not impressed in that case.

My main beef is with lightbars that are so bright the glare makes it hazardous for everyone around them....especially annoying if you're following one for miles in clear air. The crazy-bright LED lightbars everyone runs now are the biggest culprit. I just use hazards for the brief times I feel they're needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Dan brought up a pretty good point. He said he would rather fly under the radar as opposed to having people chat him up when he stops for gas or meals. I'm more of an introvert and can really appreciate a little more quiet time.
Makes me think that maybe to a certain degree, the people who load up on the bells and whistles on the outside of their vehicle are actually looking for some more interaction with people and are more likely extroverts. It's probably a good way to get strangers to ask questions and talk to you about something you love. It's really not for me, but does anybody have any insight to that?

I am a believer in what was mentioned on the prior comments. Go nuts on logos and emblems....it's your passion, be proud of what you are part of. As for lights, I also am a hater of the high intensity light bars or rotating lights. With that said, I used a low-light single rotating amber light...kinda like what you'd see a mail carrier use. Not for recognition of hey here I am-look at me. Only flipped it on when the storm has gone severe/tornado warned and I am currently in the path of said storm, or driving through the core for positioning (to be better seen). Basically to say, hey...you see my decals, know what they mean, and now you see the light....increasing awareness that they may in fact be in the path.

I think anything more than one or two small decals or emblems is overkill or obnoxious.

Radio antennas and roof mounted instruments are certainly useful for communicating with others who are out on the same storm (perhaps with a different vantage point) or for your own amusement (e.g., to see if you sampled severe winds). Hail guards can be useful, but they do tend to make people's vehicles look even more goofy in my opinion. Regardless...

...will you see me using these things? Highly unlikely.
Will I poke fun at those who go overboard and drive around like a Hollywood billboard and talk sh1t about them behind their backs? Hell yes!
Do they have every right to use these things? As long as it's within the law, absolutely.

My vehicle looks very plain - I don't use any exterior decoration or equipment. Everything I use is inside the vehicle. I have thought about purchasing a plain black-and-white "STORM CHASER" bumper sticker, though, just for sh1ts and giggles, and to be obnoxious in my own way.

Do all the other stuff as much as you want, but if you're looking for acceptance and respect as a fellow chaser....you gotta be a chaser first.
I totally agree with Shane. I go incognito save for a ham radio antenna or two. Stickers, lightbars and such always attract yocals wanting to tag along. Funny story--actually had two hillbillies stroll up and ask "Are Y'all chase stormers?" I couldn't answer for laughing at thier drunk asses.

Last edited by a moderator:
It amazes me that so much energy is devoted to discussing and arguing about decals and light bars when there are far more egregious things being done in the storm chasing world to make us look like "idiots" and shysters.

This is one of the reasons so many veteran chasers have departed.

W.

I think the argument about stickers and magnets is based in the theory of distancing those who chase for the pure enjoyment from those who chase for the pure attention.

Calling attention to one's self is "bad" and I don't want to be one of "those guys" so I'll bitch and moan and look down on anyone who does advertise their hobby.

Understandable to a point, but pretty lame if you ask me. Energy can be much better spent than disparaging someone choice of chase outfit.

The way you guys feel about the fact I choose to engage in this topic, hence "wasting" my energy.....that's exactly how I feel about over-the-top chase vehicles being driven by people who have zero tornado pics on their website.

What about people who don't have a website and dont give a s#t about sharing their trophy pics? What about the people that are just out for fun and occasional wall hangers?

What about people who don't have a website and dont give a s#t about sharing their trophy pics? What about the people that are just out for fun and occasional wall hangers?

There you go. That's EXACTLY my opinion about the modified chase vehicle deal. I don't give a sh*t about off road capabilities, or torque, or vehicle wraps. I'm just out there to get my trophy.

Since I'm not looking to advertise or anything like that, the only thing to identify me as a chaser are my small antenna and somewhat-obscure vanity plate. I very much enjoy the under-the-radar kind of situation.

My favorite vehicle add-on is the dried mud on the back after a successful chase.

I speak for no one but myself, but my issue with the stickers, decals, modified vehicles, etc etc is the fact the majority of those types have 50 pics of their vehicle on their websites and no storms pics. I get that it's a sub-culture and an activity that can be related to other activities like chasing. But it's in my DNA to scoff at anyone who's all up front about their vehicle and I can't think of a single tornado they've seen, not a single event that would be their "feather in the cap." For me, the actual chasing and results come first regarding a chaser.

I was a great example of this. When I got my drivers license and first beater at age 16 and was able to chase storms on my own for the first time, I had my car windows covered in stickers and decals showing off that I was a storm chaser. But the more tornadoes I actually saw, the less and less I wanted to look like someone who was chasing storms. Once that first car died, I moved on to a sticker/decal-less option, but kept the antenna farm on the back of the vehicle. And then a few years later I was parking next to tornadoes in a bright yellow mazda with no stickers or antennae, looking like I was there by accident.

I used to be super into my vehicle setup too, but anymore if you wanted to see my chase setup it'd be a cellphone picture of my camera bags thrown in the backseat. Now on this topic though, I think there's any even bigger spread. A lot of chasers are into technology and use it in many different ways, so I don't think having a fancy interior setup and being into sharing and showing it off with others necessarily ties into prior success.

This isn't of course meant as a broad brush - everyone has their own ways. But I do agree that it is a fairly common thread. At the beginning, acceptance seems to be everything, and with no results to speak for you, looking the part is the easiest way.

When you're in love you want to shout it from the roof tops. I like seeing that enthusiasm in the new and aspiring chasers.

I'm not big on the idea of using my car that I spent my hard earned money on as a billboard for someone else's product or brand.

I agree. I can't even stand the dealership lettering that's on my back hatch. I've been thinking about cutting them off but I'll probably mar the paint. It probably doesn't matter though since the monstrosity camera enclosure on the roof sticks out more than any stickers or lettering, but I don't mind the eye sore that it is and the unwanted attention if it serves some sort of practical function.

I don't particularly care what someone else chooses to do with his or her own vehicle. That having been said, my next vehicle will be as low profile as possible. I didn't go high profile with my current vehicle (no stickers, decals, lights, etc.), but I do have external antennas for the ham radio and cell phone, so it still sort of stands out.

All of that aside, I am convinced that there are certain police officers who profile storm chasers and selectively target them for greater scrutiny when it comes to certain classifications of traffic/moving citations. Some LEOs do not like storm chasers, or they have an issue with the hobby in general, and I believe some of the chaser accounts when these chasers have reported that they feel they were on the receiving end of a citation whenever the police officers realized they were a storm chaser, simply because they were out chasing in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Were some of these chasers legitimately deserving of a citation? Probably so; nevertheless, I think the profiling issue is a reality, and when you stand out as a storm chaser, you lend yourself to the increased likelihood that you might receive a citation that may have otherwise gone unnoticed if you were simply keeping a lower profile.

I can't even stand the dealership lettering that's on my back hatch. I've been thinking about cutting them off but I'll probably mar the paint. It probably doesn't matter though since the monstrosity camera enclosure on the roof sticks out more than any stickers or lettering, but I don't mind the eye sore that it is and the unwanted attention if it serves some sort of practical function.

Not to go off topic but I can't stand this either and wondered what legal legs someone would have to stand on if they sent an invoice to the dealership for advertising fees. If I buy clothes from a store I don't have the store's name stitched into my clothes, so why shouldn't this apply to something you drive?

I like the idea of "live and let live". I say that but I catch myself poking fun at the cars with tons of decals, lights, porcupine quills, and batting cages. I also have a "Find The Tornado" sticker on my rear window that I got from Andy G plus I run a 2m radio so I'm not completely incognito. Screw it, I have fun.

Back