The New Canon 450D/Rebel Xsi!

comparison of 30d and 40d

I found the numbering system of the canon camera very confusing hard to keep track of. Here is a comparison listing of 2

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/

I was excited to hear the viewfinder's been "fixed." Reports are comparing it to the xxD line which would be a big improvement. 14-bit, spot metering and the ISO controls are good news as well.

Unfortunately, the extra megapixels, the switch to SD, and the drop to 6 frames RAW in continuous drive were all disappointing. Megapixels and SD are tell-tale signs that the Rebel line is becoming more consumer-oriented and bullet points may begin preempting quality. A used 30D or 40D might be a better investment... We'll see if it all balances out when the XSi arrives.

I don't like that huge lens mount button either. Just getting that out there. ;)

Sounds awesome and I was going to get a XTi this spring, guess it'll be a Xsi instead!

I found the numbering system of the canon camera very confusing hard to keep track of. Here is a comparison listing of 2

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/

What is so hard about the numbering system? Seems simple imo.

Rebel series as they've been released: 300D, 350D, 400D, and now the 450D

The better 2 digit series as they've been released: 10D, 20D, 30D, and now the 40D

Second from the top series: 5D

Top of the line: 1D, 1D mark II, 1D mark III and the flagship 1Ds, 1Ds mark II, 1Ds mark III

There have been others, like the D60, but as they have them now, it's really quite simple.

There comes a point where you simply do not need anymore pixels. I don't see needing anymore than 8mp really. I think 12 would be a big enough buffer to know I have plenty for all uses I'll ever encounter that I want to do. Other than some wanting high quality 30x40 prints...

Regarding pixels, I think you are right to an extent. I have the Nikon D200 (10MP) and the older D70 (6MP). It's very nice to have that extra wiggle room for cropping with the D200. Eventually I'll be getting the D300 -- probably this time next year. How many fantastic lightning images have you come up with that are full frame and compositionally flawless? More pixels come with more cropping flexibility to create your final image and potential external use (enlargements for prints, licensing, etc). Also, I'm in to bird photography, and it's extremely difficult to get a fantastic bird image full-frame (unless you have 500 to 600mm+ of reach). But I agree, general landscapes and stormscapes *should* be full-frame if you are doing everything right :)

Mike U

My old Sony Cybershot 707 5Mp still takes fantastic images and it's like 6 years old now. It's sensor is starting to show it's age though in low light. Plus it's rather limited on features and the fixed lens is boring. So now I want a true DSLR with max control and all the bells and whistles. I can't justify to my wife anything over $1000 for a camera because I just got a Canon A640 last summer. Even it's low light quality is pretty sad so here I go again on a upgrade quest.

It'll be interesting to see how the Digic III processor sets the exposure. My XTi tends to shoot a little dark and seems to snug up to the left side of the histogram. My G9, however, has the Digic III and pushes right up to the right side of the histogram. When shooting RAW with the XTi I tend to use the fill light slider in Camera Raw...the G9 needs the highlight recovery instead.

I don't think I'll upgrade from the XTi but it's tempting.

Back