The New Canon 450D/Rebel Xsi!

Coming in April.......

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012403canoneos450d.asp

Retail body: $799

With 18-55 IS lens - $899

No idea why you'd need an image stabilizer with the 18-55, but I guess they are available?

Highlights:

The EOS 450D features:
  • 12.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor
  • Canon’s EOS Integrated Cleaning System
  • 3.5 frames per second
  • 3.0” LCD with Live View shooting
  • 9-point wide-area AF system with f/2.8 cross-type centre point
  • Picture Style image processing parameters
  • DIGIC III image processor
  • Digital Photo Professional RAW processing software1
  • Compact and Lightweight body
  • Fully compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites
Changes from the Xti:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012415canoneos450dchanges.asp

I was tempted to get the 40D, but a little out of my price range, I think that I will probably pre-order one of these Xsi's.

A few things it has that the other Rebels don't have:

Spot metering (4%)
Highlight tone priority (ISO 200 - 1600)
Cross-type F2.8 at center (autofocus)
A higher capacity battery now that the "Live function" is on it.

A few things it doesn't have:
Weatherproofing (40D does, not a big deal to me, since I've beaten my Rebel XT to death and dropped it in water/mud several times and it still works 2 1/2 years later)

CFCard (wtf?) They have gone to the SD cards now....

If this new sensor performs anywhere near what the 40D does in 3200 ISO, in 1600 ISO, it's going to be weird shooting that high, without a lot of noise.

Just in time for the new chase season!

Interesting. My XTi is only a year old so I won't be upgrading any time soon. The features that would pull me towards an upgrade are the spot metering function (REALLY miss that on the XTi) and the inclusion of the DIGIC III processor.

The live view wouldn't push me to upgrade but the live histogram feature is great (I have it on my G9). The extra two megapixels wouldn't drive me to upgrade, either. The DIGIC III in my G9 does a great job setting exposure even in unusual lighting conditions.

the 18-55 IS is already available for ~$170. From the reviews I saw, it blows the old lens out of the water and actually sounds like a good deal.
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/181-canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f35-56-is-test-report--review?start=1
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-55mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

I'll be picking up an old XTI for my wife soon (~$500 for the body) and it can double as a backup for myself. For ~$799 I'd have to start contemplating... XSi or a 30D (same price)?. The remaining question is what do I do for her lens. I'm thinking about "donating" my 17-40 and then splurging for maybe the Canon 17-55 or 24-70. Evil thoughts now that I have the super wide covered (Tokina 12-24).

Thanks for posting this. I'll probably order one too. I should order a second copy of the thing once the price drops too, lol. There comes a point where you simply do not need anymore pixels. I don't see needing anymore than 8mp really. I think 12 would be a big enough buffer to know I have plenty for all uses I'll ever encounter that I want to do. Other than some wanting high quality 30x40 prints, I've never had a request not work because of image resolution. The 30x40 or similar request I just told them I wasn't going to even try. Hell some want them in feetxfeet. It's not common though and not even that enticing. Books, magazines and other things of similar size will be well handled with just 8mp. I look forward to the whole electronic sensor cleaning thing. Any iso noise improvement seems unneeded too....but I'll take it! Guess that's what I'll be spending any $600 gov tax check thingy on.

Hell the whole 14bit thing and highlight tone priority should be a big help to the scenes we shoot.

Sort of lame one will need new cards AND new batteries though.

eos450dtop.jpg

Look where they put the ISO button. It's on top now, so you can change it while it is at your face. That's pretty nice.

eos450dback-001.jpg

They moved the self timer button down too. I was constantly pushing that stupid button while meaning to push the offset button. Guess now I'll be pushing the white balance button instead, lol.

Sorry for posting in this topic...might be not the right one. Just one thing bothers me... SD card?! Hope they made a mistake there, because this is crazy...why changing this? Otherwise 450D looks like a good camera, but my question is for something else.

Does someone know if there are any new full-frame CMOS sensor cameras coming out like a next generation of 5D or something? I have a 30D currently and its an incredible camera, but the only thing I hate is that the CMOS sensor is 1.6x crop from full-frame sensor. All other options it has are enough for my needs (for now).

Any informations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Does someone know if there are any new full-frame CMOS sensor cameras coming out like a next generation of 5D or something?

Just about everyone was expecting the 5D Mark II this time around, no luck. I was hoping to see it as well... but now it looks like we'll have to wait until Photokina next fall.

SD only factor for me right now.

Except for I just purchased the Rebel XTi last season, and I've got outstanding pictures from it, the one problem I have with the new camera is the change to SD rather than CF.

I know the industry is ready to phase out the CF, but for me, the cost of such in addition to the camera. I'd loose use of 5 cards (about 7 GB) and to get that many (even through B&H) would add about $150 +/-.

If I'm gonna spend money at this point, I'm gonna go for a 400mm monster to get those really good shots (and possibly venture into other photographic relms).

But a good suggestions for those ready to upgrade anyway.

Sorry for posting in this topic...might be not the right one. Just one thing bothers me... SD card?! Hope they made a mistake there, because this is crazy...why changing this? Otherwise 450D looks like a good camera, but my question is for something else.

Does someone know if there are any new full-frame CMOS sensor cameras coming out like a next generation of 5D or something? I have a 30D currently and its an incredible camera, but the only thing I hate is that the CMOS sensor is 1.6x crop from full-frame sensor. All other options it has are enough for my needs (for now).

It sounds to me like the more point and shoot type cameras use those, and they are trying to pull some of that market into the DSLR entry stuff. Is there any real drawback to these type of cards other than just having to buy new cards? Cards aren't too pricey now, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker considering one is getting a loaded "entry" DSLR like this one looks to be.

As for full frame and crop sensors, I almost don't want a full frame sensor now. The current crops provide all I need and I'd really be hating my 100-400L on a full frame, since 400mm seems hardly enough with the 1.6x crop!

It'd be interesting to see what some need for Gigs on a card. I have a 2 gig card I just got last year and don't really need more than that. For a perspective, I recently cleaned up all my files, keeping just the stuff I need. I certainly kept a lot of stuff, but also weeded out a lot of double type stuff, or crap images. I should look it up and see how many files it actually is. Anyway, dating back through middle of 2002 all the way through 2007 and into 2008....I have a total of 14 gigs of raw image files. It's funny to think all the digital images I've kept since I've been shooting could fit on just one 16gig card.

As for full frame and crop sensors, I almost don't want a full frame sensor now. The current crops provide all I need and I'd really be hating my 100-400L on a full frame, since 400mm seems hardly enough with the 1.6x crop!

LOL -- agreed! This is one reason why I don't want to move to something like a 5D when I can finally afford to upgrade -- not to mention, I think I'd miss my old 10-22 lens too much!

There is another issue I didn't see posted. If you have the XTi 400d with the battery pack it will not work with the new body....one more thing to buy if upgrading.

The new XSi uses the BG-E5 battery pack, which is not interchangeable. I like these battery units, makes the camera much easier to hold....at least for me. Also, you won't run out of battery with twice the power and mine took AA backups. My XTi ran down on me
icon13.gif
during the McLean night event, so I got the battery pack and no problems since them.

you dropped it in water?

The 12 megapixel would be good as a second camera with my xt which I just got .
If I would have known this 12 megapixel unit was going to come out I might have waited but in the meantime I have good pics from Monsoon and stuff in AZ and the Hays and other events this year. My dimage 7 crapped out right before the great Comet McNaught Jan 2007 but I still got some pictures with my kodak digital.

I will have to look at the reviews. Thanks for the link to the info

Dick It is interesting you what you say about your XT dropped in water? I went up the big mountain in Tucson (forgot name) and we got caught in a huge rainstorm for quite a long time as we were hiking. In any case, my xt (did not know until later) got a water spot in it or something that ruined pics later. In any case, send it to Canon and they removed it so everything is hundky dory. So I learned it is not waterproofed. I have to make sure it does not get soaked like that again.

this xt is doing fine now but sure could see getting a 2nd body with 12 megapixel.

Thanks for the thread info

Last edited by a moderator:
I was excited to hear the viewfinder's been "fixed." Reports are comparing it to the xxD line which would be a big improvement. 14-bit, spot metering and the ISO controls are good news as well.

Unfortunately, the extra megapixels, the switch to SD, and the drop to 6 frames RAW in continuous drive were all disappointing. Megapixels and SD are tell-tale signs that the Rebel line is becoming more consumer-oriented and bullet points may begin preempting quality. A used 30D or 40D might be a better investment... We'll see if it all balances out when the XSi arrives.

I don't like that huge lens mount button either. Just getting that out there. ;)

Back