THE MAPROOM

This concerns The Maproom...

It should be noted to all of the board that there is quite a few problems in The Maproom, still. I for one am getting tired of seeing the SAME violators over and over again, mostly doing the same things that VIOLATE Maproom rules. I don't care if there is any TORs, I don't care if there is any WWs, if you do not have ANY INSIGHTFUL meteorological information, then don't post.

Its one thing when I am sitting in my living room with highspeed internet, looking at all the fluff, but when I am on the road trying to rush through things, sometimes with slow WIFI signals... I don't wanna look at this junk.

The rules are pretty strict in The Maproom, yet they are rarely enforced strictly. I would propose to start giving stern warnings via PM (moderators), and then if that individual continues, issue a suspension.

Anybody else?

Originally posted by nickgrillo
This concerns The Maproom...

It should be noted to all of the board that there is quite a few problems in The Maproom, still. I for one am getting tired of seeing the SAME violators over and over again, mostly doing the same things that VIOLATE Maproom rules. I don't care if there is any TORs, I don't care if there is any WWs, if you do not have ANY INSIGHTFUL meteorological information, then don't post.

I'm sure the moderators are doing a good job of keeping the maproom worth reading. There is a fine line between keeping a forum clutter-free and being so strong with enforcement that nobody wants to post there. Nobody wants "WOOOEEEEE!!! TORNADO!!!!" posts, but I don't see anything like that in the maproom right now. Some of the posts are not terribly informative, but I can understand why the mods would not feel they reach the level of violating the forum's TOS. The most useful thing that we can do right now is settle down a bit for a month or so and see how the new system and moderation style works out before asking for immediate changes. We don't have a very large time sample yet and, really, this is all probably new to the moderators, too.

In the future, if this sentiment keeps popping up, perhaps Stormtrack could consider adding a "killfile" feature, where a user can mark a list of people whom they personally want filtered out of their fourm experience. This gives the user some personal "further restrictions" moderatorial control over their own forum experience, but still allows the moderators and admins to shape the forum as they see fit. I don't know how hard this is to work with phpBB; it may be more effort than it is worth.

IMO, a post about CAPE or TORs is absolutely worthless, and completely clutters the forum. Basically, the only people who should be posting FCST/NOW discussions in The Maproom is a person with at least the basic understanding of Meteorology - to avoid getting in the way.

"We don't have a very large time sample yet and, really, this is all probably new to the moderators, too. "

Not at all - the person responsible for Nick's post has been doing this for quite a while now...

TD 10

The TD10 thread consists of one good message, then a reply repeating the NHC forecast and the second reply is encouraging the Bermuda high to strengthen... Wow...

Yes, it is definitely becoming a problem. I am all for the restrictions going back on the Map Room... In the TD 10 thread, Sam is the only one with posts worth reading...

I really think there should be an "application" process for the Map Room... Meaning you must write an essay on your meteorological or chaser background. Either that, or let's start enforcing the rules.....

This is a very good reason why Stormtrack has changed its rules - and now only allows real chasers/people with a meteorology background into the forums. Due to the fact the rules just now have come into place, and there is still quite a few members whom would not fall into the new category, the rules of The Maproom should become more strictly enforced...

Meaning that if somebody continues to mess up on that forum, issue warnings/suspensions.

I really think there should be an \"application\" process for the Map Room... Meaning you must write an essay on your meteorological or chaser background. Either that, or let's start enforcing the rules.....

I thought thats basically what we had to write about to join ST.

Originally posted by Kurt Hulst
I really think there should be an \"application\" process for the Map Room... Meaning you must write an essay on your meteorological or chaser background. Either that, or let's start enforcing the rules.....

I thought thats basically what we had to write about to join ST.

Before Stormtrack x2, yeah, you had to write a brief bio on yourself and email it in (I never had to, as that wasn't even in place until we got +500 members in mid-2004) - its simuler now, but Stormtrack will now only accept active chasers.

I am all for the application thing for The Map Room (especially to any users that have made too much noise in the forum).

rdale, ill respond to your post from the hurricane thread here.

Since im a relative newbie I'll listen to what you guys say. Do you want a thread on a storm to have the latest updates as they come out, or do you want each and every post to have an in depth discussion of various forecast possibilities, with short updates just not posted at all?

Originally posted by rdewey+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rdewey)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Andrew Geil
Sounds a lot like homework.

If I want homework, I'll go back to school.

No thanks.

If you want a high quality forum, then homework will have to be done :wink:[/b]

That is the major problem - there is quite a few members on Stormtrack that really don't care about quality (not juding anybody in particular, but I know there is a few).

We all get the latest updates, if you just follow the rules as set in the sticky at the top of the forum everyone will be happy...

- Rob

Originally posted by MClarkson
rdale, ill respond to your post from the hurricane thread here.

Since im a relative newbie I'll listen to what you guys say. Do you want a thread on a storm to have the latest updates as they come out, or do you want each and every post to have an in depth discussion of various forecast possibilities, with short updates just not posted at all?

Short updates are fine, yet they should contain valueable meteorological information (i.e. A discussion that yourself wrote up on the WX situation) - and not a useless one liner post, or a post containing information that is copied/available from NOAA websites.

Back