The end of Storm 1 (my chase vehicle).

What should I do now?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bart-

$10k for a new engine is BS....even $5k is high.

Get a rebuilt motor, or pull the current one and rebuild it if possible. If you can rebuild this one, figure about $1k for machining and $1k for parts.

If you want to sell the truck, get a running engine in it first.

take a chance on a good used low mileage moter (like Tony suggests)
ask alot of question about its history 1st though

AND if you change your oil every 3,000 miles they will last forever - I've got 162k on a buick 3.8 right now and it doesnt burn a drop of oil between changes!

EVEN synthetics should be dumped at 4,000 no matter what they say! oil is cheap repairs are $$$$$
good luck

(18 yrs in automotive repair business experience talkin here)

I guess I am an outlier here. If you were planning on spending that much money, I would use it to purchase something brand new that shouldn't give you any problems for a long time. I would hate to see something else go wrong that would cost another large amount of money. These days, you could probably get a decent brand new vehicle for a reasonable price...especially if you have a decent downpayment.

A reiteration from the first chase car thread---Rebuilding, when done by someone who cares about their craft, can make a good motor great. The 318 in my 84 Dodge van lasted up to 279K, at which time it was rebuilt by a speed shop that did excellent machine work. That's why it's still going (and on it's second rear axle and fourth tranny) at 598,800.

Cost (during late 1990s):
Remove and replace - $240.
Rebuild - $1400.
Total - $1640, roughly equivalent to five or six car payments?

When we cross 600,000 next month, I'm taking barbecue and cake to the speed shop.

I fully concur that the $10K price for a motor is outrageous----I'd check the BBB on that operation. A local Chevy dealer here tried to sell a friend a new engine for her rough-running 1980 Corvette (at about $3000). She took it to a local wrench, who replace a vacuum hose, ran the carbon deposits out of it and timed it. She spent about $80, drove until she sold it eight years later.

Good luck and happy new year.

Dave Gallaher
Huntsville, AL

Back