Sweet Sprint deal for storm chasers !

J Kinkaid

Let's not turn this into a debate on what service is the best. Sprint has the PPC-6700 and its the last phone that you can teether with and not get caught. You can apply other discounts and get this plan to down to around $20 a month. Pretty nice deal for unlimited data and it blows away the slow connection that I have been using when chasing storms with cingular.

just picked one up for $288 - $100 MIR- $150mir = $38

$30 a month gives you the following :

sprint Employee Referral Offer 500
sprint Vision or Power Vision Included Free
Transform your wireless experience from functional to fantastic with features and content that are very visual, extra entertaining, and perfectly personalized. Customers who choose a Power Vision(sm) or sprint PCS Vision(sm) phone will also receive:

- Unlimited Web access
- Unlimited email and instant messaging - AOL, MSN and Yahoo
- Unlimited sprint PCS Picture Mail(sm) with Video Mail

Unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes
Night & Weekend Minutes are used from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m., Monday through Friday and all day on Saturday and Sunday. If your sprint PCS Service Plan does not include Night & Weekend Minutes, then minutes used during this time would count towards your Anytime Minutes. Night & Weekend Minutes are also shared between all phones on a sprint PCS Add-a-Phone account.
Unlimited Mobile To Mobile Calling
Make and receive calls directly to and from sprint PCS and most Nextel subscribers while on the Nextel national Network without using your service plan minutes. Excludes Nextel subscribes in certain markets.
Nationwide Long Distance
Long distance calls made on the sprint Nationwide PCS Network are included in your minutes for no additional charge. International calling is not included.
Crystal-Clear Calls

Sero

http://sprint.p.delivery.net/m/p/sprint/epc/epclanding.asp

$100 mir

http://utstar.apfco.com/W1198/index.cfm?valform

$150 mir

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/00/39/34/13/39341377._V39008573_.pdf

You can get them to change nights to 6pm and get unlimited text also

Last edited by a moderator:
I did some research on this about a month ago.

Per Marcus at Sprint Level 2, effective Oct 1st 2006, they will start
charging $0.03/KB for data transfered, and text messaging rates will
rise from $0.10 to $0.15/message. Additionally, he states they now
have the ability to track people using data tethering, and those
people will be charged $0.03/KB for useage, unless they have that
option on your plan. What this means is for those of us who are
purchasing the $15/month Vision plan and then hooking up a cable to
our phone to get internet, that will end Oct. 1st.

I also called and talked to the local Sprint store - they confirm this
change as well.

So, for those of you who were using data tethering to avoid the data
charges, as of Oct. 1st, that will end. After this point, you will
have to use their Sprint RTT/EVDO card or purchase the data tethering
plan.

I guess tether at your own risk...I know I won't be doing it.

So, for those of you who were using data tethering to avoid the data
charges, as of Oct. 1st, that will end. After this point, you will
have to use their Sprint RTT/EVDO card or purchase the data tethering
plan.

I guess tether at your own risk...I know I won't be doing it.

Hmm, that's interesting. I've been tethering on and off all month and narry a charge for it. I have Vision though. I also have a data card on a separate account, but it's useful for some things.

There is no way for them to catch you when you use a PPC -6700. Granted a software update down the road could change this but you would have to update the phone on your own. PPC-6700 is 100% safe for tethering right now and is the last phone that sprint will have in there lineup that will allow this. So if you are on the fence like I was you need to act fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly can tell you from experience that the Sprint data services are horrible. Although you may have sprint PCS phone service, you will find that there is no data service.
I have been through several states and find that generally the major metro areas have the data services.
I was told there was data service when I got my plan, only to find they did not. Very frustratrating tosay the least!

I was at the Sprint store yesterday replacing a phone that I lost, and found out that they are coming out with a new line of data cards around Christmas. The new cards will connect via USB rather than PCMCIA, and they will be able to use the new 4G towers that are just coming online, they will also be able to DATA ROAM so we will be able to use the Verizon towers also, for a fee I'm sure.

I certainly can tell you from experience that the Sprint data services are horrible. Although you may have sprint PCS phone service, you will find that there is no data service.
I have been through several states and find that generally the major metro areas have the data services.
I was told there was data service when I got my plan, only to find they did not. Very frustratrating tosay the least!

I haven't had such a bad experience. In fact, I have been rather surprised in the places I have found data service (using the data card). Most of western KS is still a black hole, but they are getting some towers up out there now. But a good majority of West Texas north of I20 is filled in, and some most of the major US road routes east of there have coverage going toward FTW/DAL.

There is still a hole in NW OK. When I first got Sprint several years ago, the data coverage was sporadic, but it's getting better and better in more and more rural areas.

Now in the more rural areas, it's more like data speeds. The EVDO is only in the major metro areas now, so if you have EDVO only, that may be why your experience has been dismal.

I've also noticed the data card has been working on data roaming in some areas too this year, I am assuming since the merger with Nextel. No roaming charges either.

I haven't had such a bad experience. In fact, I have been rather surprised in the places I have found data service (using the data card). Most of western KS is still a black hole, but they are getting some towers up out there now. But a good majority of West Texas north of I20 is filled in, and some most of the major US road routes east of there have coverage going toward FTW/DAL.

There is still a hole in NW OK. When I first got Sprint several years ago, the data coverage was sporadic, but it's getting better and better in more and more rural areas.

Now in the more rural areas, it's more like data speeds. The EVDO is only in the major metro areas now, so if you have EDVO only, that may be why your experience has been dismal.

I've also noticed the data card has been working on data roaming in some areas too this year, I am assuming since the merger with Nextel. No roaming charges either.

David, if you go to Sprints website most of western Kansas (west of Wichita) is covered by Sprint now. In addition, EVDO is good from Wichita all the way to Pratt; I tried it on the way back from Albuquerque NM last week and did get 400K plus speeds in Pratt. I bought the TREO 700p and it works great. I did need to download a program that I think was 20 bucks to turn on the modem part of the phone. I think this is how Sprint does it for people who used the “phone as a modem planâ€￾. Now after talking with a friend of mine at Sprint Corp in KC he told me that since the TREO’s use a web browser there is now way to know if it is hooked up to a laptop or not. I have had data (from Sprint) in Great Bend, on the Stafford-Pawnee county line and Larned. Also, Sprint and Alltel have signed some new agreement for roaming that includes data. However, there still are many holes in coverage area that is if you want to use data, but every year is seems to get a little bit better.

That's good they are already getting the towers online. I didn't get up there this year due to the dismal chase year, but the year before we had NO coverage in the entire western part of the state aside from along the Interstate. Not even in Dodge City!?!

I see parts of western OK are filling in as well.

I was surprised last year to discover I had continuous coverage from Lubbock to Wichta Falls, TX last year (aside from about a 70 mile gap west of Seymour). Parts of that area of North Central TX have been notorious for lack of ANY cell coverage in the past.

I know what sprint maps say, but a lot of CO has no coverage for data. NE was a crap shoot unless you were in a larger city SD. Forget it. All the maps (and this was mid season 06) said there was data coverage, but there was not.
I'm just sayin..... unless you've tried it, be very leary.

TreoCentral.com can tell you all you need to know about if Sprint can catch you or not. Sprint realized this was a problem a year or two ago. The changes to detect this had to be built into the firmware as there was no way to detect whether you were using the web browser on the phone or connecting to your computer.

Phones that now support the EVDO can detect if you're using a tether of some sort. And yes, you will get charged if you don't have a plan. This is why I plan to stick with the Treo 650 for a long time as the tether is still undetectable as far as I know.

I have noticed an increase in my bill of late so I'm going to look into this and see what I find.

Back