Sunsetting the Stormtrack Mobile App

Steve Miller

Owner Emeritus
Staff member
Supporter
With the upgrade to Xenforo 2.x, we have determined the need for a third-party mobile app for the forum is not necessary due to cost and better alternatives becoming available in the near term. XF2 affers a very robust mobile browser experience. I encourage you to give it a try from your device soon if you haven’t already.

Will there be another mobile app for the forum? Probably. But for now we will see what adoption of the mobile version of the site looks like and go from there.

Just to clarify if anyone is wondering about Steve’s post, third party apps would be Tapatalk, and the standalone ST app for Android and iOS. They’re gone now, but not many are missing them due to the quality of the mobile experience on xF 2.1.

Never really understood the concept of “apps” anyway. Aren’t you ultimately just accessing web content anyway? I am not an IT guy, but in my view as long as a site is optimized for mobile, there is really no reason for a separate app, unless there is a compelling need to have part of the content or executable residing locally on the device.

It was nice back in the day (and I'll admit I still use Tap for other sites) when forums were all over the place in their mobile accessibility. Tapatalk let you interface in a nice easy manner among all of them.

It was nice back in the day (and I'll admit I still use Tap for other sites) when forums were all over the place in their mobile accessibility. Tapatalk let you interface in a nice easy manner among all of them.

Yeah now that you mention it I can understand that as an advantage with Tapatalk, same standardized look and feel across various unrelated forums. Doesn’t matter to me personally, because I only follow one other forum, and Tapatalk no longer works with that one either. But good point on why it may still be useful. Still, I understand the admins/mods wanting to avoid the expense on a free forum like ST.

Back