Suggestions for Tablets To Use While Chasing?

Dean Baron

Supporter
Anyone have any suggestions for tablets to use while chasing? Back in the day when I was chasing more I used a laptop with GR3 but the last few years I have just been using Radarscope on my phone since purchasing a laptop and paying for a data card wasn't worth it for how little I was chasing. Looking to upgrade this year to something a little easier to use while driving and something that I can mount to my dash. Do GR products work in tablets or do we have to use an app like Radarscope?

I do not have a Microsoft Surface tablet, but, there are a number of threads on here indicating that the GR products run fine on those products (at least the Pro version)

I use my iPad, which has a cell connection. Has everything I need - apps such as RadarScope and Google Maps, and access to whatever websites I need for models, surface obs, satellite, etc. I also have a laptop but once I have determined my target area and leave the hotel, it doesn’t come out again. In fact, sometimes I do my whole forecast on the iPad, it’s just a more convenient and enjoyable device to use. I guess the real gating item is whether you really want to use GR instead of RadarScope. Having never used GR, I guess I’m not one to comment, although RadarScope has served me just fine. My chase partner used to run Baron on his laptop as a backup in case we lost cellular service, but eventually we decided it just wasn’t worth the money or trouble.

Those who use tablets for chasing, how has it affected your driving? On a couple of occasions I've tried chasing with a phone and a small Android tablet, but I found the smaller screen was much harder to see and operate - to the point of being dangerous. With a laptop screen, you can glance at the radar and/or GPS map with essentially the same brevity as looking at the radio or AC console. You can also have the maps and radars zoomed out without losing detail on individual storms. With a smaller screen of a tablet or phone, I found it took much more time to look at what multiple storms were doing, because I always had to zoom back and forth in between wide and zoomed in modes. More than once when using the phone, I drifted over into the rumble strip because every act required more than a 2 or 3 second glance. That was enough to convince me to stop using the phone during a chase at all.

I minimize the laptop use when driving most of the time (lid closed), but when something quick is needed, it is much faster and easier to operate than a phone. For instance when zooming in to look at an upcoming side road or just switching from GPS to ThreatNet.

I use an Ipad Pro with radarscope to chase and my phone which also has radarscope on it. It works well, but as Dan said, it can definitely be a hazard if the screen is too small. I try to avoid using my phone while driving these days. Here in Illinois they are cracking down where you could potentially get your license suspended or a large fine if caught using your phone (yikes). When I'm on a storm though, I only typically glance at radar occasionally as I don't find it as necessary as using the maps application to find roads. I have the 10.5" model of the Ipad Pro but considering upgrading to the 12.9" model. The difference of the two is quite massive believe it or not. Another tablet option to consider is the Surface Pro, I've used those before and they are pretty nice and I think you can get GR on it.

I am watching this thread as I have thought about a move to a table as well. My main concern is that while chasing I do everything myself ... rarely do I have a capable navigator to help with route finding and radar. I have an Alienware 17" laptop that allows me to see the screen easily while chasing which is something that concerns me with a tablet. Watching to see different views on this ....

Although my chase partners and I have laptops with us while chasing, I don’t believe they were used at all last year while in the vehicle. Our IPads on the other hand were never shut off. The ease of switching to multiple windows and zooming in mean a lot to me.
When I do drive, I have my IPad looking at me in a cup holder IPad mount with RadarScope on. I technically shouldn’t even be doing that, but at least I don’t switch back and forth from different windows. It would just kill me if I couldn’t get a peek at radar once in a while...

Thanks for the replies guys! Do most tablets come with the ability to connect to a wireless data network (Verizon, ATT, etc) or do they need to be connected via wifi/hot spot? I see on Verizon's website that they offer tablets that can be added to the data plan but they come with a 2 year contract. If I buy a tablet on Amazon can I still get onto Verizon's network?

Also, how easy is it to switch from your radar program to GPS? This was one big benefit of using a laptop was how easy it was switch from one program to another. Doesn't seem like it would be quite as easy on a tablet. I usually chase solo so it'd be nice to know what to expect if I end up going the tablet route for this season.

Those who use tablets for chasing, how has it affected your driving? On a couple of occasions I've tried chasing with a phone and a small Android tablet, but I found the smaller screen was much harder to see and operate - to the point of being dangerous. With a laptop screen, you can glance at the radar and/or GPS map with essentially the same brevity as looking at the radio or AC console. You can also have the maps and radars zoomed out without losing detail on individual storms. With a smaller screen of a tablet or phone, I found it took much more time to look at what multiple storms were doing, because I always had to zoom back and forth in between wide and zoomed in modes. More than once when using the phone, I drifted over into the rumble strip because every act required more than a 2 or 3 second glance. That was enough to convince me to stop using the phone during a chase at all.

I minimize the laptop use when driving most of the time (lid closed), but when something quick is needed, it is much faster and easier to operate than a phone. For instance when zooming in to look at an upcoming side road or just switching from GPS to ThreatNet.

Dan, I don't chase alone so usually stick to using the iPad when I'm in the passenger seat or my chase partner uses it while I am driving. But, as a control freak, I can't resist a peek at the radar, even if I am driving and my chase partner is in the passenger seat with the iPad. So, like @Todd Lemery (who also seems to share my unavoidable urge to peek at the radar), I have a cup holder mount that works pretty well - it's one that was recommended somewhere here on ST in fact. I don't find the iPad screen to be all that much harder to see than a laptop screen - in fact, in comparing the two, the crisper resolution versus a laptop screen can make up for its smaller size - but, as @Ethan Schisler said, there is a larger version of the iPad available that is probably even closer in size to a laptop screen.

Before I had the cup holder mount, it was impractical to take a peek at the iPad while driving just because it was harder to hold and needed to be down on my lap (or perhaps wedged vertically between the dash and the console gear shift). So I actually found it easier to take a quick glance at my iPhone versus the iPad, because at least I could hold the phone up higher and more quickly with just one hand.

I use my iPad, which has a cell connection. Has everything I need - apps such as RadarScope and Google Maps, and access to whatever websites I need for models, surface obs, satellite, etc. I also have a laptop but once I have determined my target area and leave the hotel, it doesn’t come out again. In fact, sometimes I do my whole forecast on the iPad, it’s just a more convenient and enjoyable device to use. I guess the real gating item is whether you really want to use GR instead of RadarScope. Having never used GR, I guess I’m not one to comment, although RadarScope has served me just fine. My chase partner used to run Baron on his laptop as a backup in case we lost cellular service, but eventually we decided it just wasn’t worth the money or trouble.

Do all iPads come equipped with a cell connection or do you have to be careful to buy the correct model for this feature? It'd be really nice to add a device to a data plan and use the cell networks to use the tablet versus using a mobile hot spot and connecting the tablet to the internet that way.

After looking at various options last night and today I am probably going to go with an iPad. Does anyone have any recommendations on how much memory I will need if I use this almost exclusively for chasing and using just Radarscope and a mapping app? I would like to save money if I can get away with a smaller memory iPad. There is quite a range in memory size so not sure what I would need.

Also, does anyone have recommendations on mounts for a tablet? I know Ram mounts make a variety but it's hard to know what works best for our niche need.

Current setup:

LG G6 Phone (On weboost cradle) - All apps and used for VZW hotspot for the following...
Old ass 1st Gen iPad (WIFI only)...primarily for maps and internet (radarscope no longer supported).
Samsung Galaxy Tab A (WIFI only) - Radar/maps and internet. It was the cheapest android tablet I could find that wasn't chinese junk. Works great. (For ~$200, its way cheaper than an iPad.)

For mounting, I use an Arkon seat bolt mount. Have for years and on my second one. Fits all variety of tablets and is infinitely adjustable. Link below but they have tons of options, so if you go this route, make sure to read the specs to be sure you find the right one.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Truck-...ds=arkon&qid=1582131080&s=electronics&sr=1-15

Back