Street Atlas annoyances

Dan Robinson

StreetAtlas is great, but I've been having these little problems lately and wondered if anyone else has.

- Route finder/plotter plots an 'as the crow flies' route, that is, a straight line from point A to point B, across fields, lakes, mountains and everything else. It only does this the first time I plot a route. The second route plot does fine and follows the roads. So, I have to just plot a meaningless test route first to get the straight line problem to go away.

- Preferences aren't saving. Like auto start GPS, high contrast mode, etc. We have to change/set everything every time we run the software.

Not major problems, just little aggravations that I wish I knew how to fix.

hmmm.. I have streetatlas 5 and do not experience these issues.

To get your map display preferences to be there the next time you run Street Atlas, you have to save a map that includes all those preferences. When Street Atlas runs, it opens up a saved map file, I think it's like "New Map1.saf" or something like that.

I recommend setting all your preferences, then saving that map so it opens as the default. If you think you're going to want different settings, make separate map files, then just rename as the default file when you want to use it.

I set up a "mobile" (black) background, with a county name and NWS phone number overlay that somebody made. My location is a statewide view of Oklahoma.

As for your first remark... I've had that problem too -- I try to make a route, and it just does straight-line instead of by the use of roads. In the past, IIRC, I've just added a "Via" to the route on a main road between the start and stop/end, and it's fixed the problem.

Does anyone know how to keep the map centered? I would like it if my user location always stayed in the middle of the screen so I could see roads ahead of me. I have to try to move the map manually when the arrow nears the edge of the screen so I can see the roads before I get to them.

Does anyone know how to keep the map centered? I would like it if my user location always stayed in the middle of the screen so I could see roads ahead of me. I have to try to move the map manually when the arrow nears the edge of the screen so I can see the roads before I get to them.

There should be a stay centered on GPS button (yellow button the right side).. Make sure it IS yellow and is should allow you to stay centered on the map.

Back