Stormtrack's policy on real names

What do you think the policy on names be on Stormtrack?

• Use real names only (this is current policy)

Votes: 135 92.5%
  • Allow limited use of nicknames/handles or impose restrictions on them

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • No restrictions on names/nicknames/handles

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No opinion

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As many of you may know, Stormtrack has always had a policy of requiring the use of real names. Since this is one aspect of our board that is unique from the rest of the Internet community, I thought it would be good to revisit this policy from time to time and see what you all think.

The positive aspect of a real name policy is that it gives us a certain level of professionalism and mutual recognition within the hobby. The downside is the privacy aspect, whether we're talking employers, stalkers, data mining companies, and so forth. I'm sure it has put a few members here in a real dilemma.

So tell us your opinions on this issue and vote in the attached poll. The poll is NOT an official referendum and is meant only to gauge the sentiment among our users.

Tim Vasquez

Can I change mine? I hate the name Daniel lol Everyone calls me Danny but like a fool i used FULL name. Oh well. Whatever, I am an advocate of full REAL names. Nothing like reading posts from "MrTwister202901" or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see no reason why the use of real names should be scrapped. I too like to know who's posting and I think the use of real names does indeed cut down on uncivil postings.

I vote for real names only. It saves time, and with ST being a professional forum, I just think it is proper.. Also, as someone else mentioned, nick names can bring up havoc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted to always use real names, PERIOD!!! I think the use of real names gives us more responsibility right here on the forum and out in the field. I believe there would be a LOT MORE bickering and name calling if the policy was (pick whatever name you want). This policy holds us to a higher standard and I think it's very good, not only for our own self worth, but for the chase community and forum as a whole. I believe the real name policy makes this forum more of a family forum instead of just a forum about weather, and isn't that was it's supposed to be?

I like being able to say, Yea David, I agree with you about the high risk of tornadoes tomorrow. Instead of saying, Yea windystorm2007, I agree with you about the high risk of tornadoes tomorrow. Again, let's keep this forum a tight knit community instead of just the average run of the mill forum.

I don't see a reason to change the current policy. If there were nicknames, people would be more likely to be rude or demeaning to other members. There is enough of that currently even with good moderation.

Bill Hark

I totally agree with everybody else on keeping the real names. I'm also in the same boat as Daniel. When I joined stormtrack I entered my full name, like the moron I am, and now I'm stuck with Michael. I've never been called Michael a day in my life and I don't like being called it here either. I typically go by Mikey and I'd really like to change it.

Getting rid of real names would likely lead to more junk posts because could post whatever they would want while remaining somewhat anonymous. I think that's not a very good idea.

Being a member on another board there is people who use any kind of nickname and it gets annoying. I like to know who I am talking to. Then you have another Matthew on the site and had it not been for me using my real first and last name nobody would have been able to tell who's who. Some people constantly change thier nick names to and not just on the same site. Sometimes they have several nick names for several sites.Sometimes people even change names to offend others. Stormtrack does not need this. I voted to keep REAL names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back