Storms of 2006 - Charity DVD

Nov 12, 2005

Hi everyone:

I'm the CP in the Nov. 12th 2005 Tornadoes in Hospers, IA, and Ames, IA.

If anyone has any video, that would be great. I do have some from the Hospers, IA area, but I am looking for anything additonal for that day.

Thanks!

-Eric

Yesterday, the International Journal of Meteorology and TORRO held the 1st International Severe Weather Film Festival at Oxford Brookes University in England.

We had many entries but the winner was judged, by the audience votes, to be "The Storms of 2005", which was produced by Greg Stumpf and Jim LaDue...there were many other contributers and producers of this film, so congratulations to all involved.

We spoke to Greg via Skype, and he very kindly donated the £750 prize to charity.

Paul.

Just to make sure everyone sees this about the Storms of 2005!

Hi all,
Just a heads up that we are one week away from Chapter's due on Monday Oct 30th.

Video Contributors, if you have not gotten your video to your chapter producers - please
make arrangements to do so now.

Chapter Producers, make sure you have your chapter done complete with:
1) Title clip included with date and location.
2) Synoptic setup and voice over or text explanation.
3) Copyrights in the bottom right corner on all clips.
4) Ending credits with all contributors recognized.
5) Background music added.
6) Runlength 10 - 15 minutes per chapter.

Everything's looking great for manufacturing to begin mid November and shipments starting
late November!
thanks,
Verne

Last edited by a moderator:
wrapping up 04/06/06 chapter

Just wanted to let everyone who sent me video for the April 6th event that the final edit is being completed after several edits just due to time. I had 7 different camera views from 6 people including me that started out at 45 minutes. All of the video was great but as Verne said, even some good stuff will end up on the cutting room floor.

But nobody was left out so this should make for one interesting chapter.

Thanks

Doug

The Storms of 2006 is rapidly approaching completion and it is looking great! We have over 50 contributors, 10 chapters and a full 2 hours of video packed into the DVD. This is one that everyone that contributed should be proud of!

Here's a small sample!

Any news on when DvD's will be sent out for sure? I cant wait to watch it lol.

Still looking right on track for late November. With shipping out of the master DVD, then 5-7 days for mass production and shipping back - I'm hoping to fill everyone's order by the end of the month. :)

Verne,

Just FYI - as I'm a bit pedantic about spotting these things - you've got a misspelling at minute 01:37. ;)

Cheers,

KL

Just a quick update - Storms of 2006 DVDs will be available Thursday Nov 30th. All those who have ordered so far will have thier copies going out in the mail this week!

Also, Storms of 2004 and Storms of 2005 are shipping now from our Storms of 2006 Shopping page.

If anyone has a chance to put up a flier on a bulletin board I have created an 8.5 x 11 flier that you can download here.

It is also a preview of what the back of the DVD looks like so you'll want to give it a look! :)

I'm happy to announce that the Storms of 2006 is now shipping. Everyone should receive thier copies in the next 7 - 10 days! :)

Also 2004 and 2005 are also available as well from our website

I wanted to let you know Verne I recieved my copy today of "Storms of 2006" and will be watching it tonight! :)

Here's the new banner for everyone linking to our site!

StormsOf2006BannerNowAvailable468x60.gif

Hello everyone,

Here is my review of Storms of 2006.

Stormsof2006 was not what I was expecting to be honest but when I started watching it and saw the reality of it and rememberd all of these events from when they happend I started to feel like I was there watching these storms and chasing with the chasers. Seeing all of the names of the chasers I recognized and watching them chase I realy got a understanding of how you guys chase and why you do it. I think it was very well made and like that all profits go to charity!

I realy enjoyed it and felt like I was there with the chasers watching these storms. Thanks for making this DvD. It is well worth the money and I give it out of 10 stars 10 stars! Good Job Verne and everyone else!

The Storms of X series just keep getting better and better with each passing year. The entire 2006 DVD is absolutely amazing with powerful tornado footage for such a slow year.

Two of my most favorite segments are the Aug 24th produced byScott Olson and September 16th produced by Chris Collura. Both of these segments have absolutely powerful tornado video, storytelling and cool graphics.

Just by watching the DVD, there is no doubt that each producer’s chapter has heart and sole put into it. This is what they love and it is a great way for all of us chasers / weather nuts to give back to those who are in need. Thanks and congratulations to all the chapter producers. Great job!

Also, big thanks to Mr. Carlson for taking over the project and keeping this cause alive. I also want to thank John Diel for his voice-over work on many of the chapters, you did a great job man and look forward to working with you for future projects. I am very proud to be apart of this cause and production.

Mick

Yeah...I'll second that Mickey...a big toast to Verne and everybody to make this chaser tradition roll on. The end goal of this project is to give a little back to support those who have suffered loss as the result of natural disasters...big or small. This certainly makes me feel good to contribute to the cause. Very nice to have for the holidays too.

I received my copy of Storms of 2006 yesterday. Wow!!! What an amazing DVD (and it goes for a good cause). I have been bummed about 2006, the worst year ever, and have forgotten about some really cool events. Although myself and many other chasers came up empty-handed, there were some great chase days outside of the usual "chase season." Storms of 2006 collects the best highlights from those events along with material from late 2005 in approx 120 minutes. I don't have space or time to list every event but there are many tornadoes, flying debris, trashed chaser cars from baseball hail, lightning and great structure. There is even KWTV helicopter footage of a tornado trashing a hangar. What also makes this series special is the hard work that each chapter editor does along the producer of the whole DVD (Verne Carlson). I really like the interplay between different chasers on the same storm, maps, and inset radar images. Of course, each chapter has a brief narrated analysis of the set-up with upper level and surface maps, satellite and other parameter maps. Each producer along with the musicians and narrators did a lot of work to put this DVD together and it shows in the quality of the DVD. I can't list everybody but THANK YOU VERY MUCH for putting this project together. Of course, the project is even more worthwhile as the profits are donated. Since each segment is necessarily brief, I will have to purchase or trade for some of the extended versions of some of the chases by the different contributors.

I highly recommend Storms of 2006 either for one self or as a gift. Since it is for charity, you might consider buying an extra copy to donate to your local library or school. Maybe a student will be inspired.

http://www.stormsof2006.org/

Bill Hark

As co-producer of the first two DVDs in this series, I was eagerly awaiting to see what Verne and the other chapter producers had put together this year. No previews for me this year - I had to wait just like everyone else! Verne et al. did a fantastic job with this production, and I'm happy to see that more money will be raised for storm-related charities.

My favorite chapter is Scott Olson's Aug 24 chapter, a perfect combination of storytelling, music theme and pacing, and of course storm footage. Mick Ptak's two chapters have wonderfully improved graphics since last year's DVD and the best graphics on the disk - I'll be looking for some tips here! The May 5 chapter was almost more painful to watch than the May 12 2005 chapter last year. Tony's lucky that was a rental car, although I hope he was covered for the damage! Tony's chapter was also one of the most unique with the choice of music and storyboarding. All the other chapter producers did great jobs, and it's nice to see a fresh new mix of contributors each year.

It looks like the seed that Jim and I planted is now growing with the help of Verne and his cast. Let's keep the tradition alive in 2007.

Order DVDs for family, friends, and anyone for the holidays, and don't forget that these are a tax write-off, so order before the end of the year. For folks at the NWC in Norman - Jim LaDue and I will have a box of 100 DVDs to sell over the next few months for $20 ea (you'll save because there is no s&h), so stop by next week.

stormsof2006.org

Geez, is the DVD ever going to arrive. I feel like a 5-year old sitting in front of the Christmas tree at 3AM waiting for my parents to wakeup so I can open the box that I know has a big Tonka Truck in it. I'm checking the mail box three times a day. LOL

Woohooooooooooo!!!!!!

Just got my copy yesterday. Today I went to buy a 32 inch LCD TV. Guess what was the first thing that I watched on my new TV? You guessed it Storms of 2006!!!!

The DVD is great, real professionnal editing, it's just worth every penny of it!!! You guys did an amazing work with this. Congradulations to all contributors!!!

Back