Stormlab or GR Level 3

Since I bought GR, I haven't touched SL. The support on GR is very nice, can't say the same for SL. GPS only works if you purchase GR, and it's well worth the money. GR supports shapefiles so you have alot of overlay options. I've used GR on several chases and don't know how I chased without it. It's nice having it when you're in a unfamiliar area, no more switching back and forth between the radar software and Street Atlas.

A side note to all of this...Make sure if you use more than one application with GPS, buy GpsGate. (http://www.franson.com/gpsgate/) It allows you to share your one GPS with multiple applications. (yes, it works great with the little yellow USB Earthmate too) This way you could use GR, SL, and Street Atlas at the same time with no problems.

Stan, K9SWX

Can you explain how shapefiles work, what they are, and where to get them?
I just purchased the new Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
17 inch UltraSharpâ„¢ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLifeâ„¢
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra
100GB Hard Drive

Hopefully :wink: , it will have enough power to finally run all of the WX software. Both of my laptops crashed the other day during a chase. Bad feeling, fortunately my son was sitting in front of my computer at home looking at GRLevel3 and directing me over the cell phone.

I am excited about GRLevel3 working with GPS and would appreciate information on shapefiles.

I also have Bluetooth chip on the computer that will hopefully allow me to use my cell phone to connect to the internet out in the field.
What do you use for wireless connectivity?

I think I'm gonna jump in and buy it. I just got a big chunk of change back from PayPal, so I can now afford things :wink:

It works pretty fast on my laptop:

2.4GHz
512MB RAM
40GB HDD
64MB ATI RADEON 9200 (overclocked by me to a RADEON 9600)

Smoothing works just fine, and a Dell XPS is pretty high end, so you won't have a problem...

Shapefiles are geographic data files with a format originated by ESRI, Inc., the premier GIS software developer. I am fortunate to have access to ESRI software at my job, but there are free shapefile utilities and viewers available. I haven't personally used this, but a search came up with something that seems to fill the bill: http://www.digitalgrove.net/fgis.htm

Suggest you disable your laptop's power management features and "screensavers" while on AC, and really diminish their invocation thresholds on battery. I've found those features tend to discombobulate things like GPS mapping programs, etc., and even crash the computer.

Originally posted by David Wolfson
Suggest you disable your laptop's power management features and \"screensavers\" while on AC, and really diminish their invocation thresholds on battery. I've found those features tend to discombobulate things like GPS mapping programs, etc., and even crash the computer.

Good advice... My laptop had those settings "on", and it dropped my CPU from 2.4GHz to 1.4GHz, and would crash while playing FarCry... I turned all of that crap off, and everything runs pretty quick, though, now my laptop eats the battery in ~30 minutes :lol:

Buddy and I have been using the trial of GR3 for the last few weeks and love it. We are planning on a purchase this friday.... also getting GPS for the laptop .. gonna be cool!

Dave

gr level 3 is great. And their tech support is timely. although i dont have smoothing capabilities,it's still the best tool out there for your money.

Originally posted by B Ozanne
How does GR Level 3 install on your system. Is it a clean install? Any extra junk get dumped on your system?

Nope, nothing like some other programs. Clean install.

Back