Stormlab 4.0 Main thread

It took me forever to find the screen shots that some people have been posting about. I guess I was looking in the wrong thread. The resolution of those pics don't lend themselves for comment as to how the new program will or won't work. StormLab is expensive...GR is expensive. You do get what you pay for though with both programs. Is one worth more than the other? Depends on what you are going ot use it for. The confusion over whether people are trying to compare GR Level 3, GR Level 2, GR AE and StormLab is probably doing a disservice to all the products. I don't think Evan or Mike are wanting people to compare GRAE and StormLab. GRAE is in a different class of programs. Mike has managed to bring to the table some great algorithms and combine that into a radar program. I don't believe Evan is trying to do that. Those algorithms are useful to some people and wouldn't be for others. Some of the emergency management people can barely run Gibson Ridge Level 3 - let alone AE.

Now if you want to compare GR Level 3 and StormLab then that is prob more realistic. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Some of those have been discussed in this thread (and others in the past).

Now that is true, both are expensive, but here are the considerations. GrlevelX is only $80 and it includes GPS support which is a huge need/want for any chaser. The thing is, this is a standard feature on GrlevelX and not a standard feature on stormlab version 3. With the basic package from AllisonHouse the total for software and data comes to $120, that's still $30 less than storm lab 3 and it will do far more. Economically I see people far more willing to buy GrlevelX for $80 and pay AllisonHouse $40 annually for high quality data than spending $150 only to have metars and GPS as an additional feature.

What I was suggesting is that if Storm Lab 3 had features comparable to GRlevel 2 AE then the price would be justified, otherwise market forces dictate GrlevelX will take market share.

Now what features Storm Lab 4 will have I don't know? If it does have superior features then the price tag will be justifiable.

Hopefully it will be out within the next 2 weeks. Evan has stated that he's leaving for a chase vacation on May 17th, so there's a 99% chance he'll have it out by then.
icon14.gif

If anyone is interested, Aaron Wesson has posted some new screenshots of StormLab 4.0 here:

http://www.wxchat.com/board/index.p...allery&cmd=user&user=1&op=view_album&album=50

I guess I'm spoiled, and perhaps not a purist, but it is really difficult to look at non-interpolated radar after Grlevel3 and Radarlab HD (level 2) provide it. I'm kind of surprised if SL4 doesn't offer that.

PS: I love the boundary resolution on Radarlab HD. You can really see the storm interactions and growth with boundary while using it.

As a SL user, I will look forward to what Evan has to offer.

SL has helped me chase for the last 2 seasons. While not as experienced as others around here, I use it all the time and have no complaints other than 4.0 has been promised for awhile but I guess it will be worth the wait...

Quick Update.//////

If you are registered on the Forums @ Interwarn there is a new beta 3.93 available. Evan has already fixed at least 20+ bugs from 3.91 and 3.92. The current version has a few but nothing near what it was like when 3.91 came out.

Make sure you go and download the latest and submit your bugs to Evan.

-gerrit

The new version of Stormlab is pretty good. I wish it had a "smoothing" feature for the radar though and the professional version wasn't so expensive.

Back