Stormlab 4.0 Main thread

This new Stormlab program isn't even out yet so most of us can't make a fair analysis at this time. I'm certain it will be a great program and I look forward to trying it, however there's some big boots to fill. The competition will be great and will only make both products better in the long run and offer the best possible diversity for all users.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Not sure I get it - you say it won't be hard to beat GR software, then say that once you use GR software everything else comes off your system?

It will be very difficult to exceed the volumetric analysis capabilities of GRAE. I look forward to another entry in the market... Never hurts!

Rob, please re-read what I said. I stated that it wouldn't be hard to blow GRLevelX (GRLevel2 and GRLevel3) out of the water. I did not say the same for GRLevel2 AE -- it would be VERY hard to beat that app! Perhaps that's why you didn't get what I was saying ;-)

I don't think that's a fair statement at all considering the constant accolades that GRLevelX receives and the huge user base out there. It's not like there hasn't been other programs to use..

This new Stormlab program isn't even out yet so most of us can't make a fair analysis at this time. I'm certain it will be a great program and I look forward to trying it, however there's some big boots to fill. The competition will be great and will only make both products better in the long run and offer the best possible diversity for all users.

I was just speaking technically. The GIS capability really isn't hard to implement, and everything else is pretty much standard (i.e. the NEXRAD images). GRLevel2 is also pretty standard - not too different than what I could do with GEMPAK scripts. The REAL meat is the AE product. As Rob said (and I said previous to that), that particular GR application would be very hard to beat.

Gotcha - GRLevelX is the generic name for all of the programs, that's why you confused me ;>

Yeah, I realized that somewhat after I read your post... I was trying to cover my tracks ;)

To add value to this one-liner, I'll also say that competition is a good thing. I'll be sure to check out the StormLab 4.0 product when it comes out of beta.

Just some food for thought...

Looking at the display pics on wxchat, things look really cluttered and the old radar list format is still evident. That is all I can say since like most everyone else, I have not tried it and I am just guessing based on those few sample pics.

For version 3.2, I think StormLab has a major downfall being price, $150 bucks for the pro version so I can get metars is huge turn off and only the pro version supports GPS so even if I did not want the metars I still want/need the GPS.

Unless storm lab can do stuff like GrLevel 2 AE, then $150 price tag is way too high.

I had made my mind up just last night to purchase the GRLevelX AE, now I'm sooooooo confused. When will the StormLab 4 be released to the public?

Why are you so confused?

GRLevelX AE is a one of a kind software, I plan on purchasing it within the next few months. I'm using the trial now.

All Evan is saying is SOON. My guess, and this is only a guess, is within the next 2 weeks. If you visit the Storm Alert Inc. forums, you can tell things are coming alive. Before there were barely any posts in a week, and now it's getting active, along with the speculation. ;)

I have both programs but certainly find GR to be exceptionally user friendly...it is also several times faster than SL. I have actually clocked them both. GR loads fast and I can switch between radar products with one click. With SL you have to wait for each product to download and then you have multiple windows open. With GR you don't have that problem. You also have the ability to click on the warnings and view the text. I have also found that switching between radar sites is a lot faster with GR...virtually instant on this machine.

Now what will SL 4 bring to the table? It is possible that a lot of the products/options offered in GR will now be found in SL - who knows. A lot of programs end up copying off of one another - in one shape or form. Obviously if all of the placefiles that were found on GR are now going to be offered on SL then that is just one example.

Sounds like everyone won't have much longer to wait for the new 4.0 - then perhaps everyone can compare the products.

Last edited by a moderator:

Looking at the display pics on wxchat, things look really cluttered and the old radar list format is still evident. That is all I can say since like most everyone else, I have not tried it and I am just guessing based on those few sample pics.

For version 3.2, I think StormLab has a major downfall being price, $150 bucks for the pro version so I can get metars is huge turn off and only the pro version supports GPS so even if I did not want the metars I still want/need the GPS.

Unless storm lab can do stuff like GrLevel 2 AE, then $150 price tag is way too high.
Agree...and the radar list format is what I was talking about in the post above. Very difficult to maneuver - especially when everything is happening fast and you need to switch between radar products.

Why are you so confused?

GRLevelX AE is a one of a kind software, I plan on purchasing it within the next few months. I'm using the trial now.

I think we need to be very clear about which of the GR apps people are talking about. When you say "GRlevelx" or "GR apps" I take that to mean all of the apps that Gibson Ridge sells, meaning GRLevel3, GRLevel2, and GRLevel2 AE. In your posts, please be very careful about which one you're referring to...

Thanks,
John

I think we need to be very clear about which of the GR apps people are talking about. When you say "GRlevelx" or "GR apps" I take that to mean all of the apps that Gibson Ridge sells, meaning GRLevel3, GRLevel2, and GRLevel2 AE. In your posts, please be very careful about which one you're referring to...

Thanks,
John
GRAE is the program that is way ahead of the game. GRLevel 3 is a basic radar program...very similiar to StormLab. If you are looking for something like GR3 then StormLab is similiar. The only difference that I have noticed is the load times. Supposedly SL4.0 is going to resolve some of those issues.

Customer service with GR is amazing. StormLab used to not have the best customer service. Apparently they have gotten better over the last year or so. Perhaps others can speak on that issue. I have had one dealing with them in the past month and the turn around time on answering a question was within 12-18 hours. So that is pretty good.

There is defin room for more than one radar program in this world. Others have said that competition is good for the end user. I would agree with that. I will be interested in seeing StormLab 4.0 and waiting to see what they bring to the table. I am a hard core Gibson Ridge user but that isn't to say that I don't use other programs. I use what I have to use during a severe weather event to get my data and to get it in a timely fashion.

Tyler, Evan, Mike, Rdale, Bob, Danny and others have all worked hard to bring us the tools that we need in Emergency Management to cover severe weather. For that - I am sure we are all thankful.

It took me forever to find the screen shots that some people have been posting about. I guess I was looking in the wrong thread. The resolution of those pics don't lend themselves for comment as to how the new program will or won't work. StormLab is expensive...GR is expensive. You do get what you pay for though with both programs. Is one worth more than the other? Depends on what you are going ot use it for. The confusion over whether people are trying to compare GR Level 3, GR Level 2, GR AE and StormLab is probably doing a disservice to all the products. I don't think Evan or Mike are wanting people to compare GRAE and StormLab. GRAE is in a different class of programs. Mike has managed to bring to the table some great algorithms and combine that into a radar program. I don't believe Evan is trying to do that. Those algorithms are useful to some people and wouldn't be for others. Some of the emergency management people can barely run Gibson Ridge Level 3 - let alone AE.

Now if you want to compare GR Level 3 and StormLab then that is prob more realistic. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Some of those have been discussed in this thread (and others in the past).

Back