Stormhawk

Found this trying to find weather software on the net. It's basically a handheld radar, shows composite only, no base reflectivity. It also has all NWS watches and warnings, and you can even take pictures and send in reports with this unit. I did not see what the cost of the unit is, though. All in all it looks pretty good, and would probably be a useful tool if it actually does what the maker says it does.

http://www.stormhawk.com/

Jim Reed has a kick ass picture on their site. Works great for what they are selling.

*Jim Reed checking his Storm Hawk while camping in Montana.*
reedhawk.jpg

Mike Smith is a member and checks in occasionally. You might PM him as he can give you the spiel on the system.

I've seen it and it looks pretty good. It's small since it's Pocket PC based, I would place it as a miniature version of WXWorx. Though it certainly has it's own unique capabilities.

Yes, it does what it says it does and does it very well. You are correct that it is composite reflectivity. It also shows real time lightning data (NLDN).

The unit costs $1,495 for everything: PDA, GPS, software, etc.

We are coming out with a version with a smaller, but still very nice, screen that will be about half the price. The GPS is built in. Very, very nice if the smaller screen is OK with you. Look for it in March.

If you would like more information, please call Cynthia Gibbs at (316) 265-9127.

Whoa! I don't know what I was thinking but I wasn't expecting that. I contacted the company via e-mail and that's exactly it- $1500 big ones. Cynthia mentioned that with the one you want to send reports on you have to be a registered SKYWARN spotter. Otherwise you can get the standard version, and they will also load 5 counties of your choice for you before they send it. Cool.

Way too expensive... I want a screen resolution and size that is usable. This handheld loses the size war right away. I can use a tablet or laptop and actually see details without squinting:)

If you are a member of Stormtrack, we will gladly give you the spotter version. Just let us know.

Johnathan, yes the size is small. But consider that you get polygons, surface obs, lightning and the ability to send storm reports from the field that that are lat/lon and time coded. There is a camera with the unit that can be used to send photos of whatever you are reporting that are also lat/lon coded with just a couple of screen touches. It is really cool and far faster and more precise than using the telephone. To see a demo, go to: http://stormhawk.com/em/ and click on the link to "Reporter feature."

If you ordered today, we are selling the $1495 unit. But, we expect to offer the spotter version on the less expensive unit which will be well under $1,000 (but with the smaller screen).

I have used both a PC and Storm Hawk in the field (we sell software for both, so I hope I am objective) and I prefer Storm Hawk. You can get out of your car and hold it in your hand. You can chose to keep north at the top all the time or you can chose to have the screen rotate with your direction of travel at the top.

Thanks for the interest!!

We have a version that uses satellite phone, but the monthly fees are high and the system is a bit clunky. Jim Reed has successfully used it, but it would not be my first choice.

We offer T-Mobile, Cingular and, I believe, one other. Cynthia Gibbs can get you that info right away. Our number is (316) 265-9127. We also have a toll-free number I can't remember, just go to www.stormhawk.com and you'll find it.

Coming to Mike's defense (not that he needs it!), I've seen this in action and it's really not bad. For a small compact and VERY mobile system, it does a pretty nice job. Unfortunately, it's outside my price range right now.

For those that already have a compatible Pocket PC, it's even better (if I remember right). It's not WxWorx, nor is it a Laptop. Apples and oranges.

What I really liked was the ability to track where you are and if you're like me and need something that will send my location back to the Studio or EOC, this will do it.

I think it's a bit pricey, but to have all that info in the palm of your hand, it's really not a bad deal. I myself would much rather carry something in my hand than have to drag around a laptop if I didn't have to. I think the feature I like the most is being able to take pics and send reports all at the touch of a button. Like Mike said, check out their website, it explains it all and even has demos.

Andy Rice

Mike,

I let the batterys run out on mine again..... :x .... must not be enough tornados out here for me to make sure its plugged in.

Going chasing May 25th-June 6th.... if I'm in your neck of the woods I'll swing by......

Going to have Barons Threat net and Stormhawk in the car this trip...

Should be interesting!

Andy

Can you just buy the software? $1,500 is a little much for me. Although it seems like a good product. I'd rather buy a $200 handheld from Dell, $50 /month internet access from Sprint or someone, and pay maybe $100 or $200 for the software.

Whoa! I don't know what I was thinking but I wasn't expecting that. I contacted the company via e-mail and that's exactly it- $1500 big ones. Cynthia mentioned that with the one you want to send reports on you have to be a registered SKYWARN spotter. Otherwise you can get the standard version, and they will also load 5 counties of your choice for you before they send it. Cool.

I am wondering just what is used to verify a "registered" SKYWARN spotter? I know a few places "register" their spotters after they take the class, but there are great many areas that do not do any sort of "registering".

Yes, you can just buy the software. Please call Cynthia as we want to make sure your PDA is powerful enough to run it.

Andy, good hearing from you. If you unit discharged, send it back to us and we will reload it. Hope to see you this spring!

Mike
[/i]

Back