Storm Talk

Mike Hollingshead

I have recently been using my Storm Talk book a lot. I'm working on something and I'd rather not mess up anything so I'm using it as a reference. I should of actually read it all a LONG time ago, lol. Anyway, I thought I'd plug this GREAT book/resource. Tim Marshall put it together quite a few years ago now. It says 1995 in the front of my book, so I assume there might of been some update to it(though I don't really think it would of required one). If you are new or old it is a great book to own.

http://www.stormtrack.org/shop/

Ah I found it on here. It indeed was updated in 1998. Someone else might have to chime in on the new version as it says it has 60 pages while this one I have has 223. No, I'm not selling my copy! This one has about every thing you could think of. It is a cheap investment now it looks like. If I were a newbie I'd ponder getting a copy.

I won this back in 2001 at Tim's final StormTrack picnic, playing pin the tornado on the wall cloud.

Because of Mike's post I looked over at my bookshelf, thinking that I had owned this volume at one time. I couldn't see it, but my shelf is designed in a weird way that hides books at either end of a row, so I dug around and pulled out a mint condition copy from the first printing in 1995. Wow. It's like buying it all over again. And it's very well-bound with a great, engraved cover in embossed gold lettering, and an embossed supercell sketch by David Hoadley.

It's in such great shape I hate to open it.

Yes, that is the one I have Amos. It is a shame it is no longer published. I wonder how many were printed and sold. I wonder too what was cut from it for the new version to fit in 60 pages. The sketches and stuff make so much more sense now then they did back then. It is so strange how something so simple now made little sense back then. It makes me realize explaining it to a non-weather person likey isn't as easy as I would like it to be. I wish I could draw 1/10 that good. Wow, just realized something. LOL, 1995 was actually 10 years ago now. Yeeesh.

I bought mine back sometime in the mid or late 90s. I keep it at work as a resource for my coworkers. A great reference!!! There are some parts that are now dated, of course, but it still has plenty of great stuff.

Yes, that is the one I have Amos. It is a shame it is no longer published. I wonder how many were printed and sold. I wonder too what was cut from it for the new version to fit in 60 pages. The sketches and stuff make so much more sense now then they did back then. It is so strange how something so simple now made little sense back then. It makes me realize explaining it to a non-weather person likey isn't as easy as I would like it to be. I wish I could draw 1/10 that good. Wow, just realized something. LOL, 1995 was actually 10 years ago now. Yeeesh.

I agree on everything. My copy is so clean, I literally hate to open the cover. It looks like it just came off the press. No wear on the binding, pages perfectly flat. Apparently, I misplaced it right away and never dug through it like all the other great ST materials I bought through the years. So what I have is a perfect copy.

And when I did flip through some pages, I realized that almost everything I saw would have made NO sense to me back in 1995---LOL! So it will be like reading it for the first time.

Back