Storm structure quiz

Hmmm!

I like C. I think A is not really located in prime occluding meso territory as the image may imply, and I think D is the new meso with insufficient RFD to get a tornado going. My hunch (such as it is) is that the business occlusion is going on further in, and C is that region.

I am PSYCHED for the answer to be G.:D

my first hunch was C, right off the bat i was like hmm C, but after i stared at the picture i took into consideration D and B im not a big fan of A, Its between C and D but D might be a little to close for comfort if i was looking WSW at a storm im GUESSING is moving east northeast so it would be moving generally right over my position if i got the facts straightwith C you still have plenty of time and with A n B too but if a tornado did form out of D im guessing you probably had to move your position

Selection groups so far

Here is a summary of the different zones chosen so far
(28 participants so far)

A group: M. Hollingshead, M. Umscheid, G. Cormier, F. Plowman, N. Grillo,
S. Williams, M. Shively, J. Richardson, J. Farrer

B group: J. Boggs, G. Gulden, T. Cook, D. Wolfson, T. Tanilsoo, A.Pritchard, M. Parker, A. Dimitrov, D. McGowan, J. Miller, L. Hedien

C group: K. Leszke, T. Laubauch, J. Zemek, D. Neal

D group: B. Hark, D. Robinson, S. Olson, S. Currens, P. McConnell

E group: none

F group: none

G group: none

I will post the answer at 8pm CST tonight and will include a few of the photos taken in sequence mins. after this storm structure panorama photo (stitched image) was captured. I will try to put together some more of these quizzes as we bide our time until March :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll slide a last minute vote in for B.
Looks as if a clear slot is thinking about forming in that area, as well as it looks like the precip is lighter.
I'm assuming the storm is moving with the mean layer of the cloud bearing level based on the upshear tilting- if the storm is moving from left to right.

These types of quizzes are awesome! Thanks.
Laura

The answer is....

Storm Structure Quiz Answer = B
The storm structure photo was taken on Sept. 16, 2006 from US Highway 81 to the northeast of Bridgewater (McCook Co. SD). The resulting F2 tornado severely damaged a farmstead shortly after the third photo (below) was shot. Zone B marked the centralized focus of rotation on this somewhat elongated tornadic supercell. Initially when we pulled up to the scene, it looked like A was going to produce, but then it became very apparent right away that B was the real deal. Thanks for participating...some great explanations were presented. - Brian Stertz

structurequiz.jpg

quizresults1.jpg

quiresults2.jpg

quizresults3.jpg

Great work team B! Loved all the explanations from everyone :) Enjoyed the quiz, someone put another one up - this is educational and fun at the same time.

Back