Storm structure quiz

Answer to this quiz as disclosed 11/19 is B

structurequiz.jpg

On this photo, there are 7 zones to look over. Only one zone will be the correct location of where tornadogenesis occurred shortly after this photo was taken. This is a tornadic supercell photo so this is not a trick or loaded question. Feel free to add comments as to why you selected the zone you did. Thought this might be a good storm structure quiz for newbies and veteran chasers alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian, great photo quiz. At first glance, I thought it was easy but the more I look at it, the more difficult the quiz becomes. I am thinking "D" since there seems to a be a hint of a lowering and it is under the main updraft. There appears to be an inflow band coming in from the right. Since it is a still, looking for rotation is difficult. My second choice is "B" especially with the possibility of a clearslot forming just to the left. E and F are too far into the precip core.

Answer: D

Bill Hark

My first observation is to follow the apparent inflow band coming in from the right to lead into the location of the meso, which would seem to be somewhere between area D and B. A wall cloud can barely be made out in the vicinity of D, so, I'll concur with Bill and go with D.

I am also favoring D, there appears to be an inflow boundary, likely between the FFD and the inflow to the right. The location looks slightly lowered and appears rain free. There is some sunlight coming through near the 'Storm' lettering, either suggesting some RFD or that this is the edge of the cell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to go with B on this one. From the photo, it looks like a good area of rotation to me.

2 gut feelings for myself leave me to believe it will only be either "A" or "B" simply because of the distance from the rain curtain to the right. Looks like D,C,E,F are too close to the rain curtain.

My final Guess= B

-gerrit

My thought is that a meso appears to be hidden between B and D, B appers to be influenced by both the Meso closer to D and the RFD in the top left portion of the image.

My choice is B, will be looking for the truth on Sunday.

My very first thought was B. Then I studied harder and D jumped out. However, first impressions are always the safest bet. I go with B as my final.

Great idea Brian, keep them coming.

Back