spotternetwork crumb trail?

I wonder if the spotternetwork crumb trail is still active. It looks like activity on the old placefile has ceased since 2011. Anyone have any updates or a new active link?

I wonder if the spotternetwork crumb trail is still active.

Are you looking for a crumb trail of one of your own chases? I didn't even know you could get such a thing until I stumbled onto it recently. I downloaded my 130531 crumb trail.

If you're referring to something else, sorry, I don't know...

Yeah, I would like to have my recent crumb trail. How do you set it up? Link? Where do you get the number 130531 from? I thought spotternetwork numbers were longer/text?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, my last reply didn't really answer the original question, just how to get your position history off the SN site. Generally use that data for after the fact type uses. I haven't seen personalized position history placefiles. Maybe they exist, but I'm not aware of them. It should be possible to make one with the data that's available though. I remember seeing those trails from years ago, but I thought of them as kind of a curiosity rather than something really useful.

Oops. I posted in this thread then didn't check back for any further activity until just now. Not that I now have anything useful to add...

I also don't know how those animations of radar+"ants" are created, though it would be cool to know, if it's not too complicated!

I made a number of 'antcam' files a few years ago, including the trails link referenced above. The problem with the trails is that it quickly became unreadable on the most interesting days, as there were just too many lines. This got worse as more and more people started getting on SN. When it eventually stopped working correctly, I didn't see a need to try to fix it. The animations themselves were created using scripts to load placefiles into Grl3 for the correct point in time, doing a screenshot, and then repeating. Very 'brute force' but it worked.

I made a number of 'antcam' files a few years ago, including the trails link referenced above. The problem with the trails is that it quickly became unreadable on the most interesting days, as there were just too many lines. This got worse as more and more people started getting on SN. When it eventually stopped working correctly, I didn't see a need to try to fix it. The animations themselves were created using scripts to load placefiles into Grl3 for the correct point in time, doing a screenshot, and then repeating. Very 'brute force' but it worked.

I know that with all the many users on SN the trails would be extremely crowded. I would like to just use my personal trails and nothing else. Do you know a way to just do one user at a time or even a script that would just run off the points in the download file you can get off of the SN user homepage?

Back