So What's Next?

Well, the upper air pattern doesn't look very promising over the next week or so. I'll probably keep an eye on Nebraska and Iowa for the next few weeks, as climatology still pretty decent and close enough for day chases. Avg. dewpoints and # of thunderstorm days typically increase over Iowa this time of year. During this time, I'll keep doing my little noon hour forecast in the FCST or TALK thread if it is at least a slight risk area over any portion of the plains, even if too far for me to chase. Later this summer, I'll likely be moving back to Charleston, South Carolina and live with my wife. Her house is about 5 miles from an island beach. Last year, we had 3 tropical systems come through down there. Then, hopefully next spring I will come back and stay w/ my sister here in Kansas City or my other sister in Wichita for another chase season. My work is portable, and I have alot of family back here, so it is very possible I may continue to make the plains my second home in the spring. My only regret at age 45 - wish I would have studied meteorology in college. You young guys, keep chasing your dreams!

Season's over for me. Had so many things taking up my time this year I didn't get to chase as much as I wanted to, but I got a few good chases in. I am already starting to save up money for next spring, when I plan to hit the chase season hard.

Last year I tried to make the northern season as well during the summer, but this year I won't do that.

I will be getting a new chase vehicle for next year, hopefully with a few cool gadgets. I'm trying to decide between a Crown Vic and an Impala. Really looking forward to next year.

With the southern plains going quiet and my rib injury it is the end for me and Kanani. It is always sad to go into "wind down" mode but we do have normal lives and responsibilities we need to catch up on and start getting ready for our second season in September. The truck has already been in the shop for new brakes and will be going back in for a tune-up (guess I am hard on it durning the season). Also time to start saving $$ for next years season. I think we spend more and more time off work and roaming the plains every year which takes $$.

As for sleep. No doubt I have been catching up all this week since I was stuck on "bed rest".

This season seemed to get started late but once it got going it flew by so fast some of the dates get mixed up. Just hope next season doesnt wait until the end of april to get going.

When I ended my chasecation, I was grateful to sleep in my own bed and chill out at home. But, 2 days later, I was frantically looking for some sign in the models for a weekend chase somewhere. LOL!! Unfortunately, a monster summer ridge looks to take over the country and shove everything into North Dakota and Canada. Hmmmm....I wonder what kind of road networks they have north of the border? ;-)

I do suggest having SDS parties in August though to help bridge the summer doldrums into fall. Munchies, all-day videos, weather weeniness, war stories, much humor, etc. can really soothe the SDS...well...at least for one day. ;-)

The only thing that gets me by in the summer is tropical activity, but to me personally falls short of a raging tornadic supercell unless of course you want to go chase a hurricane. That might be fun to try once.

Im a new college student, with no summer plans and money to blow. (oooh to be young without a million bills, eh? ) My season aint over til the snow hits the ground. Illinois has no defined season, though there is a sure peak in May and June. But, even in 2003, we had a record July severe weather season...July usually brings more mcs activity, however...see the July 13 2004 violent tornado for a recent exception. August usually brings back a few good tornadic sup set ups...so, there's really no point at which I 'pack it up'.

Just thinking about some ways to prevent end-of-season onset of SDS - how about a few of these things to do during the off season:

*Get a chart and track all the hurricanes this summer

*Edit chase video

*Make a DVD

*Journal and organize your chase accounts (while they're still fresh in your mind)

*Attend a Skywarn class

*Study equipment setups for radio, data and communications and troubleshoot problems you may have had in the Plains while they are still fresh in your mind

*Back up & archive your digital images

*Plan for next year's chase conventions such as Denver and TESSA

*Get involved with a weather organization or club in your town

*Follow Severe Weather Central on radio.nhcwx.com

*Enhance your Web development and coding skills

*Memorize all the cloud types with a field guide

*Shoot other aspects of weather such as tropical systems, Nor'easters, coastal weather, snow, wind, atmospheric optical effects, clouds and aurora.

*Take a photo/video class at your community college

*Give a weather lecture to schoolchildren

*Attend your local science museum

*Make a weather photo collection and hang it at a local coffeehouse

*Learn everything you can about lightning safety and tornado preparedness and post links on your Web site

*Hone your forecasting skills

*Chase severe weather in another location

Stay busy 8)

Winding down .... sad to hear it but it is true.

Chased the plains in May for the "great storm drought of May 2005" and then ran out to Iowa for an "empty red box" well it was not really empty just tors after dark.. and that is worse. Also chased the thumb of Michigan.

My work allows for me to watch the skys for a Moderate risk and drive anywhere within 14 hours so from OH I could hit most of the plains once again. I live in Ohio and we are due for a tornado or two so although it is not over it has winded down.

What I learned this season:

Upslope rules !!
Colorado, Western Kansas and Nebraska are filled with excellent chase terrain. I love the shortgrass praries and the sand hills. Seems like a High pressure over the main plains pulls moisture up there and action is nice. The whole "denver cyclone" thing .. I need to look that one up.

I may park myself in Goodland or North Platte next year for a month. Added bonus...Tony and the Colorado crowd are a friendly and knowledgeable bunch .

Seems like good chase terrain decent roads and the weather is prone to supercells when it happens.

As another bonus the park in North Platte has peacocks and elk to watch when you need to kill time. Caged elk are sad but the peacocks do not seem to mind.

The thumb of michigan is chaseable
I had no idea. When Bad Axe is getting tornadoes like it did in 2004 I will get up there and check it out.

Hurricane spawned tors...
I know they can be messy but last year had so many of them and within 600 miles that I can hardly resist. I reckon I will head South once or twice.

Strange year without a doubt. Who knows what happens next.

--
Tom Hanlon

Back