Shed a Tear?

Have you shed a tear for the victims of Katrina?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am torn between feeling sorry for the people that lost everything and resenting the people that ignored warnings and are looting under the premise of survival. I am having a hard time comprehending the magnitude of the disaster. I haven't shed any tears, but I do feel very bad for the innocent victims and I will do what I can to help.

Yes, men cry. At least those that are even remotely in touch with themselvs. (IMO!)

So far, none from me. Maybe I should feel guilty, or less human, for it. The thing is that I'm torn between sympathy and contempt and haven't (emotionaly) figured out what's going on.

I haven't watched much TV, but tonight I saw a healthy woman, carying an infant, bitching about how "They did so much for Florida... Where's MY help?!" Rather than saying "I was a dumbass, I should have gotten out," she was indignant that it was taking so long for her share to arrive.
I couldn't help but think "You chose to 'ride it out' with your baby? WTF? If you didn't want to leave, at least have the decency to send your kid away with the neighbors." I know she's doesn't represent everyone in NO, but it's hard for me to make the clear distiction.

OTOH, some of the stories "You watch after the kids..." are just heartbreaking. There are also the obvious true victims that couldn't get out for one reason or another.

The Looters don't much phaze me. I've a pretty dark opinion of the 'capabilities' of the human animal. :?

-Greg

Well, I guess next time you're out chasing the ass end of a wedge on the plains, and you come across a obliterated farm house, and you see a dazed and injured family staggering about you should just keep on truckin' - they live in tornado alley, they know the risks, and yet they refused to build a storm shelter.

Well, I guess next time you're out chasing the ass end of a wedge on the plains, and you come across a obliterated farm house, and you see a dazed and injured family staggering about you should just keep on truckin' - they live in tornado alley, they know the risks, and yet they refused to build a storm shelter.

The difference is that of leaving from an inpending, and VERY well-warned, disaster versus taking shelter from an event (tornado) that has an enormously small probability of effecting you. Even in the heard of tornado alley, the prob of getting hit by a tornado is tiny. Compare that with a massive hurricane, that generated warnings from officials (mayor, state leaders, NHC, NWS, etc) unlike anything we have ever seen in recent memory, that was expected to be a catastrophe. Little comparison. Again, my deepest condolences to those in New Orleans and all other areas that have been impacted by Katrina. Most folks no longer have anything, and it's a sad, sad realization.

I live on the caprock. In my experience, anyone in this area is well aware and educated about the dangers and risks that come with the terrority each season. Most have a shelter, some don't. Over time, I really can't think of anyone around here who hasn't used their shelter at some point. I have sympathy for everyone in New Orleans. Some of these people couldn't evacuate, some could. Most couldn't. Those that could likely have little understanding of meteorology or atmospheric sciences and perhaps living in such a large city gave them a false sense of security. I don't remember such a lack of compassion for the Florida victims of previous hurricanes, Mississippi either.

Years before the Edmonton tornado in 1987,i never thought much about
All forms of severe weather disasters.Now were ever it happens i get a
numb,sick feeling.Hurts to see such good people down there go through
this.

It takes quite a bit for me to cry, so I haven't shed a tear yet. I do feel very saddened for the victims, and the video of the guy who lost his wife (the "lost it all guy") did make me very sad, but not enough to cry. Maybe there is something wrong with me, I don't know...

Then, I can't help but think that alot of these folks could have saved themselves, but then I also remember that their decision to stay may have been based not on distrust in the weather forecast, but moreso out of love for their home and their entire life's work. Quite simply, they didn't want to abandon the ship (a.k.a. home) they loved.

Back