Shed a Tear?

Have you shed a tear for the victims of Katrina?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
With all of the DEVASTATION around the Gulf Coast, I think we have all tried to put ourselves in the victims shoes and wonder what they could possibly be feeling? Has this overwhelming catastrophe hit home for you, as it has so many Americans?

I teared up when they showed some poor sea lion that was beached in the middle of some neighbourhood and one lone guy was trying to keep it from baking by pouring water over it.

I think he was probably the only guy in the neighbourhood that wasn't busy looting.

I feel guilty if I'm not watching the television, except when I go to work. But watching this all day and night, flipping between FOX, CNN, and MSNBC, is the most depressing regime I can imagine. It seems like every image or video clip is more sad and shocking than the last.

Even with all the hooligans that live in New Orleans, I can't help being immensely saddened by the suffering that many decent people are enduring. Many of the folks that rode out the storm simply had no means of evacuation. Others had a false impression of their own safety (e.g. "I live > 1/2 mile from the coast, I'll be fine.").

If you watch the stories (not just gawk at pictures of the devastation), you understand that the people that have received the brunt of this catastrophe are like all of us. If the story of someone losing their spouse or children doesn't move you, then you might want to check to see if your blood is still pumping.

Gabe

I have not shed a tear. Why? This was a natural disaster that everyone knew was going to happen. N.O. is in a cereal bowl, and the officials knew decades ago that this event was a real possibility.

Am I glad this happened? Absolutely not. The loss of life is saddening. I do believe that they will learn from this, and the new city(s) will be in much better shape than now.

It is what it is, and now it will be handled.

I actually did shed a tear, gas prices are going to kill me.

I know you meant this comment in jest, but it does come across as a little calloused considering the catastrophe that has befallen those along the Gulf coast.

Gabe

It was a joke. Calm down.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven...a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance" (Ecclesiastes 3:1,4).

Gabe

all of gods creatures

for the human kind, they control their own fate...however, the 4 legged creatures are at the mercy of us humans, we control their fate...i feel for the poor animals that were left behind to fend for themselves, the human kind should have taken warning from everyone starting with the mayor of the city right on up to the president of the united states that told them to get out...i know it is to much to ask...but do you think the smartest creature in the food chain would take heed of even one warning seriously...i know this in the minority and this is no way to learn a lesson...but i do believe lesson learned. God bless all their hearts and watch over them now.

This has caused quite an upset in my home. My husband does not believe men should cry and when he saw the guy on TV who had just lost his wife and was crying, he spouted off. I responded and it ended up in a shouting match that was probably heard in New Orleans.

It has quite depressed me, seeing all this coverage. I had given up Wellbutrin, probably at the wrong time.......

I don't know where to start... Have I shed a tear? Yes, a few actually. I have visited New Orleans and driven along the coastline in that region.
Selfishly I am saddened that I will not get to visit the same place again, rebuild, or no rebuild.
I am saddened that people and animals have died and been injured when perhaps they could have been saved.
I am saddened that we sometimes lack the compassion to put ourselves in someone else's shoes. I wonder if I would have stayed or left? I have the benefit of being a long-time lurker on this site and I have read of the destructive power of storms. Many do not have that knowlege. Many have history behind them of storms that they have weathered that made them decide that they could ride this one out too. Many tried to leave, saw the traffic and decided they'd be safer to stay put than to try to leave. Many wanted to protect their homes, their pets, their history. I can't imagine what my choice would have been. Thankfully I've never had to make it.

I feel a bit numb this week. I've been glued to CNN, this forum, other weather sites. I vacillate between being fascinated by the science of what is happening, and being horrified by the destruction. I look forward to a good night's sleep and I feel lucky that I have a safe home to have one in.

Anastasia
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Shead a tear?? No...But I can't tell you how bad a feel for these people. It is just unreal on the damage, looting,and flooding that I have seen on T.V. In Wichita back in January we an ice storm and we lost power just power for a few day that sucked. But compared to this it was nothing.

Back