Semi-DIY filmtools mount

Those looking into the filmtools gripper 115 mount, ever try to source the parts and assemble yourself?I bought a 4.5" pump suction cup from here and a Manfrotto 155 with camera plate from here.

Used a 1/4-20 bolt to secure the two together (don't use the threaded insert in the seasucker)...I now have a "filmtools" mount.:D

If you're leery about the seasucker cup at all, search some boat/yacht sites for reviews on them. 100% reliable. The 4.5" cup is rated at 90 pounds straight pull and 30 pounds off-angle.

Total cost including shipping was $78.68 including the 19 cent bolt I already had vs. Gripper 115 including shipping @ $91.30, so it's like getting free shipping.

I'll post pics of my setup later tonight.

Looks like that should work nicely. For my DIY camera mount, I bolted a piece of thick smooth plastic to my dash to have a place I could attach a suction cup, and then assembled a mount using RAM components. I think it's a 3 inch suction cup and then double ball joint with a plate and quick release deal on that. Its small and low and not attached to my windshield. But I realize most folks are not into screwing things into their dash.

Back