Saturns and Softball Size Hail = Hole

As soon as I get the video from our chase, I will put it up here. The window smashing on my side scared the living cr@p out of me. As soon as it went, I could feel the hail hitting my leg.

I have 2 bruises on my thigh from the hail, and about 15-20 minutes after it ended, I found a tennisball (hail) sitting in the floorboard.

The car is getting new windows tomorrow -- A new windshield and new drivers window for around $297 incl Tax is NOT bad!

Crazy... when I locked my keys out of my car (with car running AND after I just got pulled out of a ditch) back in 2002... I bashed out the vent window to prevent stuff from getting wet. Just the vent window was $220 to replace because of the odd size. Doh!

Aaron

We're being watched.

I'll admit that I sort of enjoy punching hail cores if there's nothing else worth looking at - assuming I'm in someone else's vehicle (cough) - but, even so, the sound of a large hailstone smacking the car from out of nowhere will shake me more than anything else in the field.

On May 4, 2002, Amos and I found ourselves in a neverending hail core near San Angelo that did a number on the windshield (if you have his "Seven Years on Cyclone Road" DVD, the chase is on there), and I honestly thought I was going to have a lap full of glass before we got out of there. I had the video camera in one hand and a jacket in the other, lest I have to cover my face in a hurry should the windshield give. Thankfully, after what seemed like ages (actually, it was), we made it out of the core - with the windshield somehow intact, albeit badly damaged. In retrospect, it wasn't even gorilla hail. Big, yes. Gorilla, no.

One of the things I remember are the people on the right side of the car wigging out when I faced that side of the car to the hail to turn around. The guy in the front seat was pratically in the middle of the car trying to get away from the window!

Not that I blame them...

Despite being the first on the storm, and despite sitting watching the storm for literally hours, this sort of video is what makes me glad we missed this particular tornado. There'll always be more tornadoes.......

That would've made me sick watching that happen to our Tahoe......no thanks.

KR

Video

I think your video clip was awsome Mickey and look forward to purchasing a video from you. Screw what a few fools on a blogger sight had to say, there probably not serious chasers anyway! :D :twisted:

Originally posted by Karen Rhoden

That would've made me sick watching that happen to our Tahoe......no thanks.

KR

I do not blame you Karen. I could have lived with out that experience myself even though it was not my car (which in this case I wish it were and not Chads) but it did happen and it was dramatic video. I hope I never get into that situation again however.

Mick

Re: Video

Originally posted by Craig Maire II
I think your video clip was awsome Mickey and look forward to purchasing a video from you. Screw what a few fools on a blogger sight had to say, there probably not serious chasers anyway! :D :twisted:

I don't care what they think. I was just making a point of it. lol Seems to me this thread is getting a lot of hits coming from (probably) that one blog page. I knew there would be people here or elsewhere that would bash me but I do understand that everyone has the right to their own opinion and that my friends is a wonderful thing. I do not take anything personal when it comes to this stuff.

Mick

Mick

LOL! what a bunch of morons, have nothing else better to do than BASH people. You had two choices, and you walked away, with some great footage, i might add. Put me down for an order. Storm chasers, should support one another, not criticize. JFC.

the hole is about 2-3 inches wide and about 4 inches tall. The windows are fixed, and I am ordering the new plastic panel for the side. Super easy to take off and replace the panel (like 6 screws).

Duct tape will patch the hole for now.

Back