Running programs in the background

B Ozanne

EF5
Does anybody know about how to force a program to run in the background even if that function isn't built into the program itself?

I want to put my Davis Weatherlink software in the system notification/icon tray so it can upload data to the internet without the risk of somebody accidentily closing the program.

Is there anyway to do this or does this functionality need to be written into the program? Currently the program is set to open/run everytime the computer starts, but I'd like it be a little safer.

I don't remember the command to find it (some of the techies here may help), but you might be able to run the program as a "service" so that it starts up with windows. If it's possible which I don't know enough about programming to know.

Here's a little program that may let you do this.
http://www.coretechnologies.com/products/AlwaysUp/
and another:
http://www.application-as-service.com/
And here's something about MSCONFIG. This may help you some too:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10165_7-5554402-1.html

"Is there anyway to do this or does this functionality need to be written into the program? Currently the program is set to open/run everytime the computer starts, but I'd like it be a little safer."

Your program is always running in the background - that's not really an issue like it would have been in the DOS days. I think you are referring to not having it show up on the taskbar, but only in a clock-area icon, and if so - that has to be written into the software by the developer.

- Rob

I think you are referring to not having it show up on the taskbar, but only in a clock-area icon, and if so - that has to be written into the software by the developer.

Yes, that's exactly what I am trying to do. I contacted Davis to see if they offer any module that will do this for me.

Meanwhile, some of those programs John listed will do exactly what I am looking for. I'll revert to those if I can't figure out a "free" way to do it.

You could hide the window using another program. The problem with this of course is that you won't get a system tray icon to make it visible again with ease, but it will be hidden and out of the way. I seem to remember the program I used to do this being called 'detach.exe', you might be able to find a copy via google or I'll look to see if i still have it when I get home.

Caleb - wow, that is exactly what I was looking for. Its perfect. I was wondering if you understand some of those command prompts. I can't get them to work. I have placed a shortcut to PowerMenu in the startup menu so it runs when the computer is turned on. I also placed Weatherlink there, so it runs when it turns on. Now, how do I get PowerMenu to automatically place Weatherlink in the systemtray when the system boots?

Also, what else are you typically doing with this program? It's clearly a powerful program, but why else do I want it?

I actually have an older version - I haven't tried out the custom commands thing on the new one, sorry to say. I'm not sure if it's programmable to minimize Weatherlink (or any application) to sys tray automatically or not...if I ever find out, I'll let you know.

As for my uses, they're similar to your own, actually. Mainly when I have a lot of windows up, and I minimize the ones that don't have an automatic 'minimize to tray' option; such as when you hold down the shift key and minimize mIRC. It's handy getting a window you're afraid to close out of the way.

Hope this works out decently for you; sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

I think I have another work around for this problem. I'll let you know how it works out.

In Windows XP setup another user account and allow "fast switching." I think that is what its called. It basically keeps the other user account running along with any programs they had open. Leave Weatherlink running under the alternate user account and work under your main user account. That way it is very difficult to accidently shutdown the program.

Of course, both accounts need to be opened when the computer boots up and the computer needs to remain on.

Just another work around idea.

Update:

I emailed Davis and they said that future versions of Weatherlink will have the ability to run in the notification tray. They don't know when though.

In the meantime I'm using PowerMenu and an old PC with no keyboard attached. Weatherlink runs on startup and nodbody else can use the PC since there is no keyboard. This is a good reminder to save those old PC's, they may be good for something.

Back