Reports allowed in Weather & Chasing

Tim, does this mean that first hand chase reports will be mixed with after storm forecast analysis, comments on media etc?

It might be nice to keep a formal REPORT thread for each event, plus a couple of other threads as needed for post event analysis and discussion.
I do like being able to see specific first hand chase reports indexed by event and not having to wade through discussion and analysis.

Bill Hark

Originally posted by Bill Hark
Tim, does this mean that first hand chase reports will be mixed with after storm forecast analysis, comments on media etc?

Not necessarily. We hope that if there is a "4/26/06 OK: Media circus" thread that someone back from a chase will [wisely] pass on that and put their pics & story in "4/26/06 OK: Anadarko chase". The moderators and myself have the power to split threads if the subjects are diverging, and we will encourage different perspectives to be posted in separate threads.

Tim

No clue whatsoever on why this change has been made... The rules are hard to follow when your tired after a chase? I have made quite a few reports in the Maproom after a 20hr chase and I don't see many "rules" that had to be followed when making a REPORT. The Maproom is the most uncluttered and organized forum on the board... REPORTS have been there since the original Target Area. I love looking through the Maproom threads just because they are perfectly organized and unbelievably easy to sift through (due to the fact there is not hundreds of worthless posts) when researching past events.

If anything, make an entire separate board called "REPORTS and DISCUSSIONS" with strict guidelines like the Maproom. I hate to see first hand REPORTS get lost in all the W&C threads... I just cannot find a single reason for this change.

Originally posted by Tim Vasquez
story in "4/26/06 OK: Anadarko chase".

Wooo the sound of that gets me excited! Back yard chasing? What's that? lol

I see the point in having them in the Weather & Chasing section. I think the map room is made for reports only, at least that is the way I understand it. If someone would like to talk about why, when, and or how something did or didn’t happen this new rule will help.

Two thumbs up! Good decision. It would be nice however, to keep them in one section in which they could be well organized and such though. Just a thought though.

Mick

Originally posted by Mickey Ptak

I see the point in having them in the Weather & Chasing section. I think the map room is made for reports only, at least that is the way I understand it. If someone would like to talk about why, when, and or how something did or didn’t happen.
Mick

No... All REPORTS go in W&C now... That was apart of the new rule (which was my above argument).

Originally posted by nickgrillo+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nickgrillo)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Mickey Ptak

I see the point in having them in the Weather & Chasing section. I think the map room is made for reports only, at least that is the way I understand it. If someone would like to talk about why, when, and or how something did or didn’t happen.
Mick

No... All REPORTS go in W&C now... That was apart of the new rule (which was my above argument).[/b]

Ooops. I didn't read the last line. Hmmm. Not real sure I like that though, but whatever. The mods and Tim have a plan so we might as well give it a shot.

Mick

If you all want to have the option of using REPORT threads in Map Room, let's discuss it. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. My primary concern is that nowcasts & forecasts stay in Map Room.

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Vasquez
If you all want to have the option of using REPORT threads in Map Room, let's discuss it. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. My primary concern is that nowcasts & forecasts stay in Map Room.

Tim

I liked the old way and I think leaving REPORTS in the Maproom suits absolutely perfectly. As for the discussion on previous events, I would leave those (like they have always been) in W&C (a new board soley for discussion would be nice, but not sure how many people would be interested in it). As I said in my previous post above, the new rule would REALLY clutter up things, and doesn't cater to the chaser who actually chased the day (will guarantee that below each report will be 100 posts from people who didn't even chase it). It would get highly confusing... This is why I liked the REPORTS in the Maproom (by keeping it all less cluttered) given the strict rules.

Chasing is why we have this board :wink:

Originally posted by nickgrillo+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nickgrillo)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Tim Vasquez

Tim

I liked the old way and I think leaving REPORTS in the Maproom suits absolutely perfectly. As for the discussion on previous events, I would leave those (like they have always been) in W&C (a new board soley for discussion would be nice, but not sure how many people would be interested in it). As I said in my previous post above, the new rule would REALLY clutter up things, and doesn't cater to the chaser who actually chased the day (will guarantee that below each report will be 100 posts from people who didn't even chase it). It would get highly confusing... This is why I liked the REPORTS in the Maproom (by keeping it all less cluttered) given the strict rules.

Chasing is why we have this board :wink:[/b]

I agree with you here. I think that Reports belong in the MAPROOM, just because for one, it's been that way for so long, and two, because it's more organized and easier to look through, if you going back later on in time to research a previous storm event, then it really saves a lot of time. I also believe it's very consice and easy to look through wuthout any mis-interpretation from excessive cluttering chatter.

I still like the idea of a clear and concise REPORT thread. Simply one post by each person which chased on a particular day. Makes it real easy to go back and see what others' catches were on any given chase day. Perhaps MAP ROOM is or isn't the place, but it would be nice to have some area of cyberspace with just reports and no small talk.

Aaron

Originally posted by Aaron Kennedy
I still like the idea of a clear and concise REPORT thread. Simply one post by each person which chased on a particular day. Makes it real easy to go back and see what others' catches were on any given chase day. Perhaps MAP ROOM is or isn't the place, but it would be nice to have some area of cyberspace with just reports and no small talk.

Aaron

Yeah, exactly... And the Maproom has never really had a problem handling REPORT threads. While not only putting REPORT threads in W&C lead to massive noise posts, but it will also make the REPORT threads extremely hard to find out of all the other W&C threads (most have nothing to do with chasing). I absolutely vote to keep REPORTS in the Maproom...

For Map Room (Target Area), expediency is the operative word: it's a mechanism for letting chasers get quality information quickly as events unfold. Beyond that, we don't really have any obligation to sort stories for chasers, and I don't feel we should be shutting out legitimate discussion about a storm event. Experienced chasers stuck at home may have quite a few pertinent observations, comments, and theories about what they saw on a certain chase day on radar/satellite/grapevine/etc, with those who were in the field or amongst themselves. Of course we don't want clutter, either, so it's an issue we may have to address.

Tim

I vote (though we aren't voting) for keeping reports in Map Room--it makes for expedited one-stop shopping on busy wx days, whether in the field or at home wishing.

Dave Gallaher
Huntsville, AL

What about keeping REPORTS in the Map Room but allowing post-event discussion in the Weather and chasing forum? This seems to be a pretty good compromise -- folks can still post their REPORTS in an organized thread, yet there is still a place for informal, post-event discussion in Weather and Chasing. So, type your official report in the REPORTS thread, and talk all you want in a Weather and Chasing thread.

Back