recommend a wx radio

Dan Cook

EF5
I'm thinking of getting a new weather radio in the next few weeks to replace the one I've got, a Midland 74-250C and while it works fine, I don't like the SAME feature it has that it won't automatically broadcast alerts; it has that squelch tone that old radios used to have.

Anyone have any good ones? I'm thinking of getting an Oregon Scientific one.

Consider a bearcat scanner. That way you could get the weather and listen to some spotter frequencies. One disadvantage though would be not having the automatic alert. I usually use an older weather radio when I'm out, because I can normally tell when a tornado warning is coming by watching my xm. Happy hunting.

I'd agree with the scanner idea. But read the specs on the model, my buddy bought one for me the other week and i'm 90% sure that it wont pick up local NWS (162.400). I think it only goes to 160.000mhz on the 2 meter band. But it sure is nice listening to the spotter frequencies. I use the scanner to listen to select freqs. and then if i need to I'll switch the HAM over to that freq. if need be.

-Shawn

As a chaser, SAME is not only unnecessary, but undesireable IMO. If there is a tornado/severe warning anywhere in the CWA, you'll want to have the alarm to go off for all of the counties, not just yours. At least that's my feeling. I have a SAME, but never programmed it because I want it to wake me up if something is happening anywhere in my region. If it's just my county that sets the alarm off, I'd miss 90% of the stuff that happens 1 county away at night or when I'm not paying attention.

I usually use an older weather radio when I'm out, because I can normally tell when a tornado warning is coming by watching my xm. Happy hunting.

That's not always true...Sometimes I experimented that there was no update in XM warning map and instead the tornado warning was already come out: you did hear siren but your XM didn't point out anything.
So as to me, it's better to have two things than one, if you can.

The only times WxWorx has not shown an active warning is when I've been zoomed in very close on the storm. Zoom out and there it is. Every other time, the warning shows up on WxWorx before the tones go off on the radio.

I have had most every model over the years. I still get radio shack units as well as OS units. Use of SAME Radios while chaseing is not a problem as there is a code for all alerts.:D

Back