RainX Questions/Problems/Etc

I have switched over exclusively to the windshield wiper fluid additive.

When you first use it, you won't notice a difference, but just as applying Rain-X the old-fashioned way requires you to rub it in, so goes the additive.

As you use it, the windshield wipers actually take the place of the rubbing in you do with the regular product. Over the course of a week, I ran the washer fluid tank empty "applying" it. The next rain that came ran off just like regular Rain-X does.

I have noticed the effect doesn't last quite as long as the original product, but that's no problem. You don't have to go outside and apply... just push a button.

That works only, of course for my front and back windows where the fluid can be applied. Everything else gets the standard stuff. I have been impressed.

mp

RainX

I used it years ago and once the haze went away, I ended up with wipers that would squeal, sweek, croak or whatever you call the noicse - drove me nuts. Never used it again.., but maybe they re-formulated it and those issues are no more. I fiind my wipers do okay w/o it. Take care all.

Christopher, N3QXX

I have switched over exclusively to the windshield wiper fluid additive.

When you first use it, you won't notice a difference, but just as applying Rain-X the old-fashioned way requires you to rub it in, so goes the additive.

As you use it, the windshield wipers actually take the place of the rubbing in you do with the regular product. Over the course of a week, I ran the washer fluid tank empty "applying" it. The next rain that came ran off just like regular Rain-X does.

I have noticed the effect doesn't last quite as long as the original product, but that's no problem. You don't have to go outside and apply... just push a button.

That works only, of course for my front and back windows where the fluid can be applied. Everything else gets the standard stuff. I have been impressed.

mp

Sounds like a pretty cool deal, though I'd be concerned that, if the wipers are doing the action of applying the old fashion stuff, you'd only get RainX protection on the part of the windshield that is in contact with the wipers. That means the places where the wipers don't touch (the top and sides) don't get RainX'ed..

I always use Rain-X. Wouldn't chase without it. You do have to work at it (Buff it in) I have not noticed any benifit from the washer fluid additive. I used Fog-X once when it first came out. I will never use it again. Maybe it stands for EXTRA FOG. The only downside to Rain-X is it will eat away at your rubber wiper blades. After a isty day where I use the wipers a lot, I notice black residue that has wiped off of the blades. No problem. At only $2.97 it is no big deal to replace the refill blades every couple of months.

I always apply a coat before every chase ... there are many times that wipers become unnecessary when a person uses it. Now if they could only come out with a 'Bug-X' ... by far the biggest issue I have when chasing is the problem of bugs on the windshield.

"Now if they could only come out with a 'Bug-X' "

They have, but its in the washer fluid form. If I recall, its called Rain-x with bug guard. I have used it a time or two, and its works fairly good. When bugs hit they seem to bounce off rather than splatter. I have yet to try to rain-x you have to rub on, but I'm wonder how both the fluid (with bug guard) and rub ver. would work together?

Thats a good question, how would both those work with one another. I have 2 boxes of the original Rain-X(kind you rub in) and a brand new jug of the "Bug-X"(Rain-X with bug remover). So in the time to come, I will let you know, but I imagine it will work fairly well.

Just like Charles Edwards, I never go chase without Rain X applied to me windshield, this stuff is just amazing!

I never tried the Fog X and from reading the comments here, I don't think I'll try it, but is there other solutions for fogging?

The best solution for fog is to run the defrost for just a few second with the temp turned up. One cheep solution is to wipe on some dish detergent with a paper towel. it only taked a drop for the entire windshield. You will need to buff it in untill it is clear.

Back