RainX Questions/Problems/Etc

I just put RainX on my vehicles. The anti-fog on the inside and the RainX on the outside.

Now I've got a haze that I can't take off.

#1 - Why did the haze happen?

#2 - How do I get it off and maintain the usability of the RainX products?

I've never used the anti-fog Edward, so I won't speak to that. The Rain-X on the outside...........I have to ask the simple question first :wink: You did buff it off after you applied the Rain-X right? It will turn to a haze and, like waxing your car, you have to wipe it off.

Just starting with the basics..........

I have had instances where I had to buff two or three times to get the haze down, but I think that was when I used the wipes as opposed to the liquid version.

Tim

I've never had that problem... Are you sure you buffed it off well? Try buffing it again... The only other thing I can think of is that your windshield was not very clean to begin with, in which case you'll probably have this haze for a little while since the RainX essentially seals it in. I've had a very spotty, minor haze for a short time occassionally, but it's largely been because I didn't buff it well...

Is the haze on the inside or outside of the windshield?? did you wipe it off after it became tacky?? The proper way to apply RainX is like wax. Let it set up for about 10 minutes then buff off with a dry cloth. it will always leave a film which is how it works but it should be clear.

I have used RainX for years on the outside and have never had a problem. It is a chasers best friend without a doubt. The more it rains the less you use the wipers. Especially good for trying to shoot video from inside. I have been in extremely heavy precip cores and didnt touch the wipers whe other people were having to pull over. Ofcourse I apply it before every chase.

I have never tried the anti-fog so I cant comment on that. Just give me a good defroster.

EDIT: looks like the other posters beat me too it by seconds so I was just blowing air. :wink:

I've never had a problem, either. I can't speak for anti-fog as I've never used it, however, I will say RainX has been a great thing to have. You do need to buff it pretty good to avoid the haze issue, and as mentioned above, clean your windows prior to applying. There is also a Rain-X windshield wiper fluid which I use as well, which is great for on the spot applying! Worth a shot as well! Doesn't do as great of a job as Rain-X, but it works well on the fly!

Originally posted by rdewey
While I can't speak for Edward, I think I know what my problem was... I had the wipes (I found them in the garage), and they expired in 1997 :shock:

I tried the wipes and found they didnt work near as well as the regular liquid application. Just squirt it on a rag and apply by hand in small circles. let dry until tacky then buff off.

Ofcourse being 7-8 yrs old may have also been an issue :wink:

You know I tried that anti fog stuff once too and had the fogging problems as well and never used it again. I do however LOVE the windshield rainx stuff!

I was reading on a camera forum the other day about some news photographers put this stuff on their lens, well I guess not on the lens itself but maybe the protective filters over the lens. Anyone else tried this? I am thinking about trying that this year!

I would suggest you use your cheapest, crappiest, don't-give-a-rat's-arseiest lense to test it before you actually go out in the field with it. Could make your pictures come out looking like crap or it could damage your equipment.

Originally posted by JHadorn
I would suggest you use your cheapest, crappiest, don't-give-a-rat's-arseiest lense to test it before you actually go out in the field with it. Could make your pictures come out looking like crap or it could damage your equipment.

Well yeah again, putting in on a $10 UV filter that (hopefully) your using to protect your real lenses. I thought I said that,

I was reading on a camera forum the other day about some news photographers put this stuff on their lens, well I guess not on the lens itself but maybe the protective filters over the lens. Anyone else tried this? I am thinking about trying that this year!

Yes, I did say that. Being that it's a video camera I don't exactly have an assortment of lens anyway.

You know? I've never used the RainX before, but I finally got a bottle of the stuff you mix into the windshield wiper fluid. Going to give it a shot and see how it works.

I also like the idea about putting it on a UV filter too. I've got the covers and stuff to keep the camera from getting soaked and seeing myself go up in a big blue spark, but always had trouble with rain on the lens. This sounds like a good idea.

There's also a product on the market that you guys with the deep pockets and big budgets might want to look into. There's a motorized glass filter that spins at a very high RPM and when rain hits it, it simply vanishes. Great for the Professional Cameras. I don't think the folks running with the handy cams are going to quite go that far though. I know I'm not. I don't remember it being cheap. RainX on the filter sounds like a better solution and far less expensive.

I used the anti-fog inside 5 years or so ago and had a heck of a time getting it off because it left a film.
I used a premix one time last year and it would leave a haze for a few seconds after the wiper ran across the windshield.
I've gone back to the spray bottle and some elbow grease..

The Rain-X haze goes away once you run your wipers with the wash function, or once it rains.

Bear in mind that hail usually abrases the Rain-X away. So when will someone invent Hail-X? :)

Back