Quick NetStumbler Question

Alright...got this HP up and running...finally getting everything where I want it, but one new problem i discovered today. I've downloaded NetStumbler to help me find "networks", but my windows wireless utility cant configure them to get on the internet. It says something about starting the Wireless Zero Cofiguration service, but i have NO IDEA what this is. HAH :blink: Just wondering what exactly this all means and how i can just get this ole thing to just log on to an unlocked network.
Thanks to all
Nick

P.S> I had multiple "pings" of different unloaked networks at one time, but none would allow me to use them.

IIRC you can't run Netstumbler and the XP config at the same time.
[/b]

Alrighty Thanks but how do i get NetStumbler to connect to one of these unlocked networks?
I apoligize...im just trying to find out a bit of intel here since im new to the whole WIFI thing. (Been using dial up too long :huh: )

This is a very interesting site, with a forum that answers many questions about Wi-Fi antennas, etc.: the Bluebox.

I got one of these and have tested it at home, but didn't take it on the road this brief season, so I can't really speak to its effectiveness for chasing. However it is very, shall-I-say, full-featured. Among other things, it can scan and connect automatically to the best open signal. It connects through the computer's Ethernet port, so you can flip pretty easily between it and your other Wi-Fi.

The inventor asserts that his experience shows the built-in WRT54G antennas represent about the best compromise of range vs. directionality, though you can use others if you want.

If you run XP, you don't actually need Boingo or any other program to effectively find and connect to wireless networks. Use the Wireless network configuration utility and simply refresh the list when you want to find a network.

Some people find Boingo a bit easier to use, but some have had problems with it. I ran it last year during chasing and found that it would crash periodically.

netstumbler is great if you're looking for more infomation about the networks; but for chasing it's a bit of overkill and as others have alluded to, something of a pain to operate in some circumstances.

I like to use netstumbler while chasing b/c it brings up available networks and associated signal strength so quickly without any user interaction. I will drive around until I find a good AP locate where the signal is strongest, park, close netstumbler and access the internet.

I like to use netstumbler while chasing b/c it brings up available networks and associated signal strength so quickly without any user interaction. I will drive around until I find a good AP locate where the signal is strongest, park, close netstumbler and access the internet.
[/b]

This sounds like a plan! B) For my setup...i can't just take my eyes off the road to refresh the XP's utility. So Stumbler will find em and i'll use XP to connect.... Thanks for all the help everybody and hope all had a nice 4th. Take care
Nick

NetStumlber disables the Zero Config Service, a main element of XP's wireless card management. However, I have a Intel 2200BG which uses its own software. I'm able to connect to wireless networks while using Netstumbler. Not sure what card you have.

Back