Questions from a Canadian Mac user

Guy Crittenden

I'll be storm chasing in the Oklahoma/Kansas/Texas area for two weeks in late April/early May. I live in Collingwood, Ontario, Canada and chase locally -- this will be my first time chasing on the plains.

As a Canadian I face a few technical challenges from the get-go, as I can't use an existing wireless provider from Canada to meet my cell phone and roaming internet needs in the rural areas of the American Midwest. I am also a Mac user, which complicates things a bit.

My goal is to arrive with suitable equipment, and not needlessly overspend. (Note that my goals is not to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars too much on gear. But I'm happy to spend "a little extra" to get the right equipment or data plan, etc.)

After reading some message threads here, I've arrived at the following initial plan. I'm interested in comments and guidance from more experienced chasers as to the soundness of these ideas.

1. ROAMING CONNECTIVITY: I managed to get my iPhone 5 "unlocked." (As I've owned it for a while this cost only $50. The carriers in Canada used to make this very expensive.) So I can put any SIM card in there I like, as long as it's compatible with the iPhone 5.

2. DATA PLAN: I have the impression from these boards that Verizon gives the best coverage in the rural areas through which I'll be driving. So I'm thinking about getting some kind of Verizon SIM card with a pay-as-you-go plan or short-term contract. (Please share insights into any plan you recommend, and what would be a sufficient data package for two weeks of chasing. I'll try to use hotel/motel internet for internet and movies, etc. but don't wish to be "penny-wise, pound foolish" in not buying enough data.)

3. CAR SET-UP & POWER: I plan to use my iPhone (with the Verizon SIM card and data plan) as a wireless "hot spot" and tether it with Bluetooth to my iPad and MacBook Air laptop. I plan to mount the phone and iPad to the dashboard and position the laptop on the passenger seat. (I'll be driving alone.) I'll bring whatever power adapters/inverters/plugs are needed to keep all three devices fully charged in the car and overnight in the motel. (Interested in any tips about set-up and adapters.)

4. SOFTWARE: I know there's a lot of radar and weather software/apps out there. Thus far it looks like, for a Mac user, WeatherWall Mobile is a good basic choice. (https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/weatherwall-mobile/id446302859?mt=8) It appears to be designed specifically for iPhone and iPad. I'm making a list of other software people recommend on these boards, but would appreciate learning about any other useful software that's good on Apple products. Because WeatherWall is designed for the USA, it appears I can't use or test it fully in Canada. I'd also like to know if I need to subscribe to a special weather data service related to this.

5. CAR RENTAL: I'll be driving a rental car, and will likely fly into Dallas as I notice on Expedia that car rentals seem cheaper there, and flights are easy to get. However, if anyone has a suggestion about a good car rental outfit, I'd appreciate tips. One of my issues will be to get unlimited mileage if possible as I'll be driving a heck of a lot during those two weeks!

Thanks in advance for all your help! I'm thrilled not only at the prospect of this trip but also by being part of this supportive online community! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely go for a Verizon SIM card or Mifi. Also if you have a relatively newer Mac, you can probably run Windows with Boot Camp if you feel so inclined. That greatly widens the options for radar data such as any of the Gibson Ridge products. If not, you can also consider RadarScope for laptop use, which is a decent option.

...you can also consider RadarScope for laptop use, which is a decent option.

Yes, Radarscope is on my list. I notice in the App Store that RadarScope is optimized for iPhone 5 and works on iPad and laptops, so I will buy that for sure, as well as WeatherWall. RadarScope has added Canadian locations so that has the advantage that I can use it for Canadian storm chasing and get practice with it before my USA trip.

I'm still curious as to whether or not I need to subscribe to a weather data feed.

I don't have too much to say because I think you have made some pretty good plans. As you may have read in an earlier post I made, you won't need all that many GB for two weeks. 3GB ought to do it, but I would maybe go with 4GB for lots of breathing room. (Using motel WiFi when possible, etc., etc.) I typically use around 1GB/week while chasing. I don't download Cloud Tops, 4 tilts of velocities, rainfall totals, blah blah, 14 hours/day. Two reasons: Wouldn't get all the auto updates while driving half the time, plus I'd use way more of the data allowance. Last year my (Verizon) data stayed updated about 95% of the time, even in unbelievably remote locations where you could NOT believe anyone could possibly get a tower connection.

I have had to rent cars several times when chasing just because of my own car breaking down, etc. At least a couple times I ended up with a rental that HAD NO FUNCTIONING CIG LIGHTER (12V outlet)! That was, obviously, a big problem. Most newer cars have functioning outlets, though, because of the proliferation of devices needing to be charged, but nevertheless NEVER drive away from the rental lot without testing the outlets.

I'm wondering how you're going to "mount" devices to the dashboard in a rental. In olden times I used to stuff my passenger-side footwell with a quilt so that an emergency braking incident didn't result in my seat-sitting laptop being destroyed. I have also used a trash bag with sand in it to secure the GPS to the top of the dash. True redneck. GitR Dun.

Before I relaced my HP lappy and built my sun-shielding cage laptop mount I needed to use a "privacy filter" (kind of expensive) on the glossy screen to cut down on the glare. That screen was otherwise unreadable with any sunshine at all.

12V adapters are preferable to inverters. Just saying.

I don't think any rental policies have a limit on miles anymore. Don't tell the rental company you are going chasing.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Kinda goes without saying, but if you arrive to beach weather, use the opportunity to test everything. Do a dry-run.

One of my issues will be to get unlimited mileage if possible as I'll be driving a heck of a lot during those two weeks!

Several rental companies have unlimited mileage included, but you can also go through some place like Travelocity and they will include unlimited mileage. Also check with your insurance to see if a rental car is covered, otherwise you might want to find the place with the cheapest damage waiver (don't assume hail won't hit you). I've used a handful of the major companies, and so far no issues.

I'm wondering how you're going to "mount" devices to the dashboard in a rental.

Painter's tape ;)

On the topic of car rental, avoid renting from the airport unless you have no other choice. You are better off taking public transportation or a taxi to a local car rental office. It looks like Enterprise doesn't have unlimited miles out of Dallas locations. Budget does offer unlimited mileage out of Dallas, and they do have local rental offices around town. Make sure you either get the damage waiver, or that your credit card covers damage because Do not tell them that you are going storm chasing either. As I said before, avoid renting from the airport, they add on every fee possible and a location 5 miles away will be half the price so I cannot reiterate that enough. The airport location make look like it has a cheaper weekly rate, but trust me it will not end up that way.

On the data side, Verizon is the way to go and if you have multiple devices it might not be a bad idea to get mifi. It is $60 for 3GB prepaid. I would say that trying to use multiple devices might be overkill while driving by yourself on your first trip to the Plains, and also it will use up more data then is needed. Whatever you can mount best, the laptop or ipad is going to be the easiest and safest to use.

Also, think ahead on your plan for mounting because if you are renting a car then your options for mounts will be a little different then the permanent mounts.

I don't think any rental policies have a limit on miles anymore. Don't tell the rental company you are going chasing.

I didn't think that either, but I was just looking at Enterprise locations in Dallas and Oklahoma City and they only allow unlimited mileage in bordering states. I was going to recommend Enterprise, but the mileage thing caught me off guard because its always unlimited when I rent around here in the Chicago area.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! You guys rock!

Any dashboard mounts will be ingenious items that are removable. Yes to the 12v adapter idea. Thanks for the tips about car rentals away from the airport! I would not have known. And I'll make sure my insurance covers damage to the vehicle.

Back