PYKL3

Tom Mull

EF0
I have PYKL3 on an older Android phone. I am wanting to upgrade to a newer phone. I know that PYKL3 is no longer supported and you cannot download it from the Google play store. I believe PYKL3 is still available from another source. Does anybody know where I could get PYKL3 if I get a newer phone?

Thanks for any help.

Does anyone know if PYKL3 has been finally broken by changes from NWS radar data to higher resolutions?

AllisonHouse alleges the app cannot be used now, although it seemed to work fine for me until recently. I noticed yesterday my GRLevel3 feed was down from AllisonHouse, and when I went to check PYKL3 it was broken and never came back.

Does anyone have Caprock data and PYKL3? There is still NWS low res data out there as far as I can see from the NWS sites stating they made other arrangements to restore the low bandwidth data. I just need a source this app can talk to.

It would be a real shame to lose the best radar app on a phone finally. Radarscope lacks in many areas.

“AllisonHouse alleges” is an interesting way to frame it.

1) PYKL3 doesn’t support the HTTPS transition on NOAAs servers.
2. The app only worked with AH data. (No, Caprock no longer exists AND it wouldn’t matter if they did, because…)
3. NOAA only sends Super-Res data via NOAAPORT now. PYKL3 doesn’t support SR, thus… you guessed it.

AH isn’t out here spouting stuff that isn’t true. You’re choosing to use an app that isn’t supported by the developer AND AH is making every effort to keep things working for PYKL3 users.

An up-to-date “AllisonHouse alleges” is that we’ll have these lower resolution NEXRAD Level 3 products back later this summer. This is due to our efforts to get the larger educational community access to the standard Level 3 products once again. The only way to receive these products currently is through NOAAs servers and that’s only because they don’t have the bandwidth for the SR products. If NOAA had their way, it’d all be Super-Res and PYKL3 would simply not work, no ifs ands or buts.

Feel free to independently scrutinize and evaluate my comments above.

“AllisonHouse alleges” is an interesting way to frame it.

1) PYKL3 doesn’t support the HTTPS transition on NOAAs servers.
2. The app only worked with AH data. (No, Caprock no longer exists AND it wouldn’t matter if they did, because…)
3. NOAA only sends Super-Res data via NOAAPORT now. PYKL3 doesn’t support SR, thus… you guessed it.

AH isn’t out here spouting stuff that isn’t true. You’re choosing to use an app that isn’t supported by the developer AND AH is making every effort to keep things working for PYKL3 users.

An up-to-date “AllisonHouse alleges” is that we’ll have these lower resolution NEXRAD Level 3 products back later this summer. This is due to our efforts to get the larger educational community access to the standard Level 3 products once again. The only way to receive these products currently is through NOAAs servers and that’s only because they don’t have the bandwidth for the SR products. If NOAA had their way, it’d all be Super-Res and PYKL3 would simply not work, no ifs ands or buts.

Feel free to independently scrutinize and evaluate my comments above.

Apologies, maybe my word choice was not the best. I should have used the word "said" instead of "alleged" and that is what I meant anyway. I was just posting here to seek other user experience since other members (as this thread implies) seem to have thought the app still worked. I am well aware PYKL3 was discontinued long ago. I contacted you first because GRLevel3 was only working on NWS servers, and I checked PYKL3 as a backup. PYKL3 had worked the last time I used it, I don't recall exactly when that was, but it is still listed on your site. The only response I got to my inquiry about AH data not working in both apps was I was using an unsupported app.

I'm truly sorry if you feel offended or slighted in some way, but my intention was just to figure out what was up with my apps data, and secondarily to understand if PYKL3 still works or not, nothing more. Thank you for providing more information here now.

Last edited:
Back