• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Decent Radar Software (That's Free)

That means you are trying to connect to the EDEX server on your machine. Don't do that, since you don't have EDEX installed.

Do connect to the EDEX server that it defaults to, and that the instructions tell you to.
The only other option it gives me is localhost and when I do that it crashes me out.

Then you installed it all wrong. Uninstall. Then go step by step through Unidata's installation guide for the beta.

Then you installed it all wrong. Uninstall. Then go step by step through Unidata's installation guide for the beta.
I uninstalled and then reinstalled it through the beta. I got it to work now, BUT, the options under Radar are blank. For example, 0.5 Reflectivity does not have numbers, just blank dash lines.

I don't understand either. I'm telling you to use the dial-up radar menu option at the bottom, or the regional radar menu option at the top.

I don't understand either. I'm telling you to use the dial-up radar menu option at the bottom, or the regional radar menu option at the top.
Okay. I am using Regional and National Mosaics. Dial Radars are giving me the same dashes. What can I do for WFO?

Okay. I am using Regional and National Mosaics. Dial Radars are giving me the same dashes. What can I do for WFO?

Since I'm configured for GRR, I just click the 'kgrr' option next to Satellite.

If you want another site, you click Radar/ Dial Radars / Other Radars /and select your site there.

Since I'm configured for GRR, I just click the 'kgrr' option next to Satellite.

If you want another site, you click Radar/ Dial Radars / Other Radars /and select your site there.
For some reason I don't have the kgrr option. I will mess around with the Other Radars. Thank you so much for your guidance on all of this. I appreciate it.

Now that I have gotten AWIPS to work (for the most part), the only other thing I wish I could back on it is the split-screen. I used to be able to do that through the Radar section.

You still can do it. You can do a 4 panel, you can do a three panel border with one main screen, and much more. Have you read the documentation?

With professional grade radar available in the palm of your hand for $10, how is it worth this much trouble (and far more than $10 in the value of time) messing with this?
I strictly use Apple products, ie MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad and have to say RadarScope is awesome. If you have a iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro running at least macOS 13 and have an Apple ID you can get RadarScope on all three devices. Once you purchase it iCloud lets you download it on your additional device at no additional charge. Just did it 3 weeks ago when I upgraded my MacBook Pro and my iPad and had absolutely no problems installing it once I was signed into my Apple ID. Well worth the $10.00 and as good if not better than GR level 3.

Back