Program similar to FX-Net?

Does anyone know who bought the FX-Net program? I have seen it before, but can't find it online now. I know that it was sold or contracted to a company to allow distribution for public use since they were going to dedicate more severs for the data. I know that the government can still use FX-Net from the FSL servers, but there was a company that changed the name. Anyone know what the software is called now or anyone that can direct me to a website? Thanks!

Does anyone know who bought the FX-Net program? I have seen it before, but can't find it online now. I know that it was sold or contracted to a company to allow distribution for public use since they were going to dedicate more severs for the data. I know that the government can still use FX-Net from the FSL servers, but there was a company that changed the name. Anyone know what the software is called now or anyone that can direct me to a website? Thanks!

It's metwise and it is avaliable at
www.extremeforecasting.com

Interesting... They just might have a new customer. I've messed around with FX-NET quite a bit, but the newer / licensed version has alot of cool features that lack in the older versions.

MetWise has quite a bit less than FX-Net actually. They took ALOT from the program since it was no longer government based. They don't have access to some things within the private sector I don't believe. FX-Net will remain my prog of choice.

Well, it looks like they have 2km national NEXRAD, they added quite a few more models (APRS, etc.), the satellite data has a higher resolution, the text-based data is available, etc.. It looks like it has everything the public version has, and then some. It also looks like the model names are updated; NAM, GFS, etc..

What I like about FX-NET is that you can easily control and manipulate the model data on-the-fly, versus a resource hog like GEMPAK. Of course, with GEMPAK you can create web images, create graphical products, and perform calculations within grids, but that stuff usually takes awhile and requires at least decent knowledge of *nix based operating systems and scripting.

FX-NET is quick... If I want to see 0-1km CAPE grids, it takes me no more than a minute. Cross sections are also very easy to generate in FX-NET... The only problems that I've had was 1) satellite data was grainy, 2) there was no national radar, 3) can't modify soundings, and 4) can't choose an individual timeframe. Since two of those four are now fixed (satellite, national radar), I'm seriously considering the switch.

Okay, I paid the $9.99 for a one month subscription and here are the differences;

Pros;

National Nexrad
Full satellite imagery
Text browser works
ARPS analysis grids

Cons;

No lightning data
Higher resolution models are missing

I'm going to see if there's a way I can converge or configure the software's data locations. On it's face, I shouldn't have paid $9.99 for this when the other version has more to offer in terms of model data.

Okay, I paid the $9.99 for a one month subscription and here are the differences;

I'm going to see if there's a way I can converge or configure the software's data locations. On it's face, I shouldn't have paid $9.99 for this when the other version has more to offer in terms of model data.

That was my main con, Rob. I did the order last night and cancelled about 15 minutes after the order. It would be nice to be able to feed some of that data into FX-Net wouldn't it. :-D

I can explain MetWise Net

Hi guys - I'm the Project Manager for MetWise Net from ENSCO, Inc. (http://www.ensco.com). ENSCO is a $100M systems engineering company with about 1000 employees. Some of our meteorology customers include NASA at KSC, JSC & MSFC, United Airlines, Korean Airlines, USAF and NWS.

Robert, we've talked via e-mail previously. First of all, MetWise Net does NOT have quite a bit less than FX-Net. And MetWise Net is government based - NOAA/ESRL/GSD (formerly FSL) is our developer and MetWise Net is FX-Net...with a few minor differences.

We have a partnership with GSD. FX-Net was not sold or contracted to a company. GSD was looking for a commercial vendor to provide FX-Net to the many non-Federal Government employees that wanted it. By law, GSD is not allowed to maintain data servers to supply the general public with data. We were already marketing AWIPS as a commercial product (called MetWise) with GSD, so it seemed natural to do the same with FX-Net and provide a service many people were asking for. If someone has a copy of FX-Net, it is illegal unless they are using it in a NWS office. FX-Net was originally designed to emulate AWIPS for Federal NWS Fire Weather Meteorologists.

Now, what are the differences in the software/data? Virtually none. FX-Net is not available to the general public, MetWise Net is for only $9.95 per month or $99.95 for a year (http://extremeforecasting.com). GSD builds MetWise Net based on their latest versions of FX-Net as well as our improvements based on our user's requests. We are about to deploy V4.6 with an auto reload feature. MetWise Net does not have lightning yet - it is VERY expensive to buy and there are only 2 vendors (Vaisala & USPLN). We are working on it but also want to keep the cost at $10 per month. FX-Net has Vaisala lightning which, by contract with the NWS, is only allowed to be viewed by government employees while at work. We have the same model data as FX-Net except NAM12 and NAM40 which we are testing to see if we want to add them - we probably will. We have GFS90 which is not in FX-Net and covers all of North America and we have our own implementation of OU's ARPS model. We run it a 12 km, 8 times per day with 30 minute forecast periods. We are about to switch to WRF at about 9 km over CONUS in late winter. Other than that the data is identical...oh almost...our visible satellite imagery is higher resolution than FX-Net because we don't compress it as much as they do. It takes a bit longer for an initial download but it provides for fantastic resolution.

Robert, you cannot converge or configure the software's data locations - that is done by GSD and is an integral part of the server and client. Again, you shouldn't be hung up about paying $10 for something you can't get anywhere else - we like to work with our users, so if there is a viable request for a particular data set, we will consider adding it (as with NAM).

Brett, it's too bad you cancelled 15 minutes after the order. You couldn't possibly have evaluated MetWise Net that quickly. If you had taken some time to check it out, you would have realized that except for lightning, NAM12and NAM40 MetWise Net is the same (with ARPS and GFS90). We also have regional radar mosaics which GSD implemented in FX-Net V4.5 based on our user's needs - not NWS. Plus FX-Net doesn't have a Southeastern radar mosaic while MetWise Net does which would come in handy in Alabama. And yes, from your blog on TalkWeather Forums I know Justin Balbierer - he works for me and he's a great guy and great meteorologist. We have a number of FSU grads on our weather team!

We currently have a free trial deal going on MetWise Net that we'll probably run through the Annual AMS Meeting coming up in mid-January. If you'd like to try the software again at no cost it's available. There is one minor problem right now - the Christmas Day tornadoes in Daytona Beach knocked out our primary MetWise Net servers that are housed in the meteorology department at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU). Although we are on our backup servers at our Cocoa Beach office our e-commerce servers are down. But, until we are running at ERAU again, I can provide you with a link to download MetWise Net and try it without having to login - just install it and go. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll give you the ftp link.

Hi guys - I'm the Project Manager for MetWise Net from ENSCO, Inc. (http://www.ensco.com). ENSCO is a $100M systems engineering company with about 1000 employees. Some of our meteorology customers include NASA at KSC, JSC & MSFC, United Airlines, Korean Airlines, USAF and NWS.

Robert, we've talked via e-mail previously. First of all, MetWise Net does NOT have quite a bit less than FX-Net. And MetWise Net is government based - NOAA/ESRL/GSD (formerly FSL) is our developer and MetWise Net is FX-Net...with a few minor differences.

We have a partnership with GSD. FX-Net was not sold or contracted to a company. GSD was looking for a commercial vendor to provide FX-Net to the many non-Federal Government employees that wanted it. By law, GSD is not allowed to maintain data servers to supply the general public with data. We were already marketing AWIPS as a commercial product (called MetWise) with GSD, so it seemed natural to do the same with FX-Net and provide a service many people were asking for. If someone has a copy of FX-Net, it is illegal unless they are using it in a NWS office. FX-Net was originally designed to emulate AWIPS for Federal NWS Fire Weather Meteorologists.

Now, what are the differences in the software/data? Virtually none. FX-Net is not available to the general public, MetWise Net is for only $9.95 per month or $99.95 for a year (http://extremeforecasting.com). GSD builds MetWise Net based on their latest versions of FX-Net as well as our improvements based on our user's requests. We are about to deploy V4.6 with an auto reload feature. MetWise Net does not have lightning yet - it is VERY expensive to buy and there are only 2 vendors (Vaisala & USPLN). We are working on it but also want to keep the cost at $10 per month. FX-Net has Vaisala lightning which, by contract with the NWS, is only allowed to be viewed by government employees while at work. We have the same model data as FX-Net except NAM12 and NAM40 which we are testing to see if we want to add them - we probably will. We have GFS90 which is not in FX-Net and covers all of North America and we have our own implementation of OU's ARPS model. We run it a 12 km, 8 times per day with 30 minute forecast periods. We are about to switch to WRF at about 9 km over CONUS in late winter. Other than that the data is identical...oh almost...our visible satellite imagery is higher resolution than FX-Net because we don't compress it as much as they do. It takes a bit longer for an initial download but it provides for fantastic resolution.

Robert, you cannot converge or configure the software's data locations - that is done by GSD and is an integral part of the server and client. Again, you shouldn't be hung up about paying $10 for something you can't get anywhere else - we like to work with our users, so if there is a viable request for a particular data set, we will consider adding it (as with NAM).

Brett, it's too bad you cancelled 15 minutes after the order. You couldn't possibly have evaluated MetWise Net that quickly. If you had taken some time to check it out, you would have realized that except for lightning, NAM12and NAM40 MetWise Net is the same (with ARPS and GFS90). We also have regional radar mosaics which GSD implemented in FX-Net V4.5 based on our user's needs - not NWS. Plus FX-Net doesn't have a Southeastern radar mosaic while MetWise Net does which would come in handy in Alabama. And yes, from your blog on TalkWeather Forums I know Justin Balbierer - he works for me and he's a great guy and great meteorologist. We have a number of FSU grads on our weather team!

We currently have a free trial deal going on MetWise Net that we'll probably run through the Annual AMS Meeting coming up in mid-January. If you'd like to try the software again at no cost it's available. There is one minor problem right now - the Christmas Day tornadoes in Daytona Beach knocked out our primary MetWise Net servers that are housed in the meteorology department at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU). Although we are on our backup servers at our Cocoa Beach office our e-commerce servers are down. But, until we are running at ERAU again, I can provide you with a link to download MetWise Net and try it without having to login - just install it and go. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll give you the ftp link.

William,

Thanks for clearing that up. I will likely consider a re-evaluation of the program in the coming few days. I know that the support for FX-Net has basically ran out and I'm sure MetWise will only get better as time goes along. I had no idea that it was still government based and supported. Also, good to know that you guys have many Met majors working for you so I know a good future lies ahead. I will shoot you an e-mail soon. :)

Back