"Professional" storm chaser LSR

I noticed that too . . . thought it was rather odd. Maybe they told the person logging the report that they were professional chasers and the logger just typed it in. Or maybe they were TV news chasers. Oooh, I wanna be a professional too!

Yeah... guys.

I just got signed on to a 5-yr, $50 million contract, plus a signing bonus of another $5 million. It's great being a professional!

:)

I would imagine that this is the case being referred to (from the 6/6 TALK thread):
Originally posted by Bill Hark
I just heard from Charles Edwards of Cloud 9 Tours at 7:25 EDT. He is filming a white stovepipe tornado 5 miles north of Arthur, Nebraska in Arthur County. That's north of Ogalla. Not much else in htat area. Congrats to Charles!!

If your definition of "Pro" is getting paid to do something, then I suppose a tour company owner/employee qualify as professional chasers, as would somebody who is getting paid to do research, etc. like a Tim Samaras. In chasing, however, "Pro" does not necessarily indicate "professional conduct" (as we saw from the "F5 Tornado Safari tour" guys in this thread) nor does it mean that their skills are necessarily better than an experienced amateur. If your definition of "pro" is that you derive all of your income from chasing, then I doubt there are many in that category.

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE
Girls only want guys with great SKILLS. You know. . . Nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer hacking skills, storm chasing skills . . .

I don't really know the definition of a "professional storm chaser", but I know numerous mets consider themselves "professional spotters", and that is how they're referred to in the LSR...

Professional storm chaser

So if your a chaser who gets paid your a professional? Then I guess I'm a professional because besides chasing storms as an obsessive hobby I also chase storms for KWWL Channel 7 and get paid 50$ to more than
100$ for good storm footage (made a quick 50$ on 05/05/06 for some shelf cloud footage I shot in Bremer County Iowa) Feels good to be a highly paid professional chaser...LOL :lol: Where are my personal STALKERS/fan clubs? LOL :D

To me, a professional storm chaser is one that derives a large portion of their income from chasing. There are very few in that category. I would include tour group operators such as Charles Edwards and Jim Leonard, chaser/photojournalists (Warren Faidley comes to moind) and maybe some of the chasers hired by local television stations. I think the list is fairly short.

Bill Hark

Dean Cosgrove was out there two and as far as Dean or Charles being called Pro's, well yes they are.

I would imagine that this is the case being referred to (from the 6/6 TALK thread):
I just heard from Charles Edwards of Cloud 9 Tours at 7:25 EDT. He is filming a white stovepipe tornado 5 miles north of Arthur, Nebraska in Arthur County. That's north of Ogalla. Not much else in htat area. Congrats to Charles!!

If your definition of "Pro" is getting paid to do something, then I suppose a tour company owner/employee qualify as professional chasers, as would somebody who is getting paid to do research, etc. like a Tim Samaras. In chasing, however, "Pro" does not necessarily indicate "professional conduct" (as we saw from the "F5 Tornado Safari tour" guys in this thread) nor does it mean that their skills are necessarily better than an experienced amateur. If your definition of "pro" is that you derive all of your income from chasing, then I doubt there are many in that category.

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE
Girls only want guys with great SKILLS. You know. . . Nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer hacking skills, storm chasing skills . . .

Back