Prepaid SIM-card with data - live overseas

I live in Sweden and chase the plains for somewhere between 1-3 weeks a year, which I am very grateful to be able to do living so far away from the action. I always have to rely on my fellow chasers' data, Starbucks wifi etc to be able to check radar, tweet / read tweets which obviously is quite annoying so this year I am determined to get data.

I looked through this section but most threads cover packages for US citizens. I need a prepaid SIM-card that I can use that does not require me to have an address in the US or at least not require a US-citizenship etc. What are my options here?

- I, obviously, want great coverage. I will be riding in cars with amplifiers as well but I want it to work in rural Oklahoma. Coverage is not absolutely crucial though since my data won't be the one we rely on.

- I will be using the data for: Radar (primarily), Twitter/Facebook, occationally as a hotspot.

- I am not a US citizen but can, if needed, provide an address for it to be sent to.

- I will not really be needing phone/text-services. Just data.

I have checked online and found a few but it is very difficult to determine what I should go for. Especially in terms of coverage.

Any suggestions?

It depends whether you really want to invest in technology, or simply hire it. I've always done the latter, because it means you're not tied to what equipment you buy. I get a Mifi on Verizon from wifirents.com.

Hi Paul,

Glad to see another overseas chaser here. Is that like a USB-wifi thing? I checked out the website but couldn't really figure it out. Basically, all I need is a SIM-card for my phone. Ever tried that?

Hi Paul,

Glad to see another overseas chaser here. Is that like a USB-wifi thing? I checked out the website but couldn't really figure it out. Basically, all I need is a SIM-card for my phone. Ever tried that?

Hi Christoffer. I'm from Denmark and I've been chasing for 11 years. Until recently I've used a router and a usb-modem and a booster and an antenna, but have always had to rely on my American friends and their account with fx Verizon.

Last year however I discovered the Verizon jetpack that has a much better signal. It was a little tough to get a prepaid sim-card but it was possible. This year I also bought a mobeil hotspot for AT&T.
Of course you can just use your phone, but it drains a lot of power when using it as a hotspot and the jetpacks are designed for this.
You can buy them on eBay or at Wallmart, at least the Verizon jetpack at prices around 30-50 dollars.

Hope this helps.

Kai-Asle

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses, guys. The Verizon jetpack could be useful but maybe a bit over the top. I will be relying primarily on my chase partner for radar but it would be useful so that I could plugin my iPad for radar.

My basic need, however, is the sim card itself. You say it was difficult, but how did you do in the end to get that pre-paid? When I arrive I will start chasing the next day so it would be great if I could arrange with everything beforehand.

Cool to see a fellow Scandinavian chaser btw. I have not seen anyone at all during 5 years (except for some Danish guys that came along on a tour once).

Thanks for your responses, guys. The Verizon jetpack could be useful but maybe a bit over the top. I will be relying primarily on my chase partner for radar but it would be useful so that I could plugin my iPad for radar.

My basic need, however, is the sim card itself. You say it was difficult, but how did you do in the end to get that pre-paid? When I arrive I will start chasing the next day so it would be great if I could arrange with everything beforehand.

Cool to see a fellow Scandinavian chaser btw. I have not seen anyone at all during 5 years (except for some Danish guys that came along on a tour once).

Tjänare, Christoffer. Läget?

AT&T was so easy to buy. I just went to a store and asked for a prepaid simcard for my cellphone. No problem. At Verizon it was a little more difficult as the required an US address. However I managed to convince the guy at the store that it would be so much easier for me to be independent of my American friends. So he used a fictive address I think. This year in February I went to Tampa to visit my friends and while there I wanted to buy and activate simcard for my Verizon Jetpack. No problem at all. The only thing is they expire after two months therefore he gave me an activation number to use when I arrive in Dallas in May.
Who were the Danes? Did you talk to them? Could be fun to meet up, Christoffer.

All the best
Kai-Asle

Cool. Is there a difference in coverage between AT&T and Verizon? I mean, is that something to consider? I guess so since you went out of your way to buy Verizon.

In fact the two danes names were Lars and Ulrich, which is kind of fun if you are a Metallica-fan :)

I actually live in Malmö so it would be fun to meet up. Let's have a private chat about that.

Cool. Is there a difference in coverage between AT&T and Verizon? I mean, is that something to consider? I guess so since you went out of your way to buy Verizon.

In fact the two danes names were Lars and Ulrich, which is kind of fun if you are a Metallica-fan :)

I actually live in Malmö so it would be fun to meet up. Let's have a private chat about that.

Verizon has the best overall coverage in my opinion, but there still are spots where AT&T has better coverage. That's why I got both. Were they a reporter and a photographer? Because then I met them too.
I work in Copenhagen, so let's meet.

Like previously mentioned we use a verizon Jetpack (cheap on ebay) connected to a antenna. We buy 10gb when we arrive, seems to last about 2 weeks. At&T sim card in the phone to cover any dead spots in the verizon coverage.

Sorry for the late reply - I missed seeing this thread again! I think the guys above have given some great answers - for me, it's about getting a signal for the laptop as I like to run GRL3, as well as using mapping software and web browsers (the latter for SPC mesoanalysis, and general model output). The beauty of a wifi hotspot is that I can also have my iPad running RadarScope, so when we stop for photo-ops, or whatever, I can be outside the car and use it. You can have up to 5 devices (I think) hooked up to it.

Back