Post Your 2013 Chase Stats!

I love stat threads. Here's mine:

Chases: 19 (slightly below average)
Tornadoes: 12. (near-slightly below average) 4/17(1) 5/18(2) 5/19(1) 5/20(1) 5/27(2) 5/28(1) 5/30(1) 10/4(1) 11/17(2)
States: IL, NE, CO, KS, OK, AR (Way below average)
Tornado Days: 9 (47% success ratio - slightly above average)

New career milestones:

- New record for consecutive chases with tornadoes: 6 (April 17th, May 18th, May 19th, May 20th, May 27th, May 28th)
- First time with 3 days in a row with tornadoes (May 18,19,20)
- First rear windshield blown out by strong winds instead of hail (October 4th)
- Latest tornado of any season (November 17th)

My phrase to describe 2013 has been "quality over quantity." While the tornado count is comparatively low, the tornadoes I did catch were almost all top tier both in terms of photogenic-ness and historical significance. After coming off the worst year of my career (2012) I entered this season with a new approach that seemed to pay off. Call it luck, call it me finally figuring out the style of chasing that best works for me, but whatever it is, I seemed to do just about everything right this year. My biggest blunder was missing El Reno after a bad navigation call while following other chasers I was caravanning with. At the time I questioned the move, but figured they knew some sort of shortcut since they were from the area, at least we got a different tornado near Tuttle to salvage the day from being a total bust, but still, missing the largest tornado in recorded history will always sting just a little bit...despite what it did.

Chasing with (and driving) the TIV was an awesome experience. I hope I get to have the chance again in 2014. I would love to put that thing inside a tornado, unfortunately the early April days I chased with it were flops. 6 consecutive chases in a row with tornadoes was quite an accomplishment and one that will be hard to beat. I chased in an unusual low number of states this year and had a below average number of chase days, probably due to the overall slow nature of the season. On a similar note, I seemed to do a good job picking and choosing which setups to chase. Unfortunately I do have a real job and can't be out there for every marginal 5% but my job is fleixable enough that I can get out there for all the big days, plus a few marginal ones that fall in between.

There weren't really any tornado days I didn't chase that I wish I had. Hattiesburg maybe, because I did consider chasing that setup, but chose to work instead. I missed a couple scuddy tornadoes in my home state on June 12th, but I purposely ignored that target in favor of sticking closer to home just in case something big happened there. There was a nightime wedge in TX (May 16th?) but night-time tornadoes do little for me in the satisfaction department.

The only reason this is not the best season of my career is the tornado count doesn't come close to 2010 or 2011, but it is definitely #3 - a very successful year for me. I eagerly await 2014 in hopes I can keep the momentum going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chases- 6
Tornadoes- 3 (5/18-19)
Tornado Days- 2
States Chased- TN, TX, OK, KS

This year was the first time I saw tornadoes on consecutive days.

Well, I may as well submit myself for the record. I had to schedule leave (I am stationed in SE Alabama) over a month out and ended up chasing the first two weeks of May. Rough, to say the least! I have also chased 2% days twice here in Alabama.

Chase days: 8
Miles: 6500+
Tornadoes: 0
Severe warned storms (category just for me): 5
Largest Hail: 2.5'' (5/8)

worthy of note:
The 5/9 Winters TX cell made a 2 minute attempt at producing a tornado, and I swear that there was a faint sign of circulation on the ground but due to my distance I can not confirm it.

Lesson learned:
All farm roads in Kansas look equal but they most certainly are not: Get out of your vehicle and confirm the rock/mud ratio before you turn onto it!!!

2013 was an epic failure for me, a complete comedy of errors and a study in ineptitude and buffoonery from start to finish. Some days had good forecasts but bad field strategy, and other days had blown forecasts. One day we got stuck on a muddy road. It is particularly embarrassing to write about these failures, given that I have been chasing since 1996, but perhaps sharing them will make others feel better about their own foibles - although I am sure no one had quite as many screw-ups in 2013 or ever, for that matter:

5/18 - Rozel - perfect target area near Spearville, but went after the first cell to go up further north near Ness City, and followed it north for far too long, while another cell coming up from the south, through the same areas we had been, became the Rozel storm

5/19 - Shawnee - chose what I thought was a perfect target area along I-35 east of Enid - OK, so on 5/18 we had jumped the gun and went after the first storm too early, today let's wait and not go after the stuff down south near OKC right away!!! Alright, so now we're in a black hole of inactivity and drying skies between the Wichita action and the OKC area action - time to move - but too late, catching up to storm in Drumright and watching successive supercells shrivel up and die as they come into town

5/20 - Moore - chose a reasonable target in southwest OK and ended up on the Bray storm - not only did I miss Moore, but somehow also missed the tornado on the Bray storm

5/26 - southern Nebraska LP - hung around Alma until 6PM - not a cloud in the sky - already had rooms booked in Hays because of Memorial Day Weekend - bailed out and you know what started about an hour later...

5/27 - Smith Center Wedge - hung around all day in Russell right near the triple point; stuck by this area for too long, ignoring the storms going up to the north

5/28 - Bennington KS Wedge - totally blew the forecast today - treated it as a repositioning day, to get to the panhandles for 5/29 - saw opportunity in northeast CO but decided it would put us out of range for 5/29; completely overlooked setup in the Salina area

5/30 - scheduled last chase day of trip, with flights out of Wichita the next morning - finally on a nice isolated tor-warned supercell near Kingfisher OK - got stuck in a bar ditch on a muddy dirt road - our storm goes on to tornado in Ripley and near Tulsa.

5/31 - scheduled to leave today - briefly thought about staying an extra day, but it would have meant a 6AM flight out of Wichita the following morning, my only option for getting home in time for family obligations... never did a full analysis, just read SPC... you may remember that the 13Z outlook was not quite as optimistic as the overnight one... Figured with the luck we were having, combined with the personal obligations back home, plus the pessimistic realization that so often just one ingredient can make a setup fall apart, and we decided to stick with our original flights and leave the Plains... missing a watershed day in storm and stormchasing history...

So glad it is 2014. I look forward to what I'll refer to as "Stormchase 2014 - Redemption."

Eh, why not.

Chases: 8
Miles: 4000+
Best Day: May 19th
Tornado Days: 4
Tornadoes: 0 (Though I was on several storms that did produce them, I never saw the tornadoes themselves)
Strongest Tornado: N/A (Abandoned the May 20th Moore, OK storm minutes before it dropped)
Largest Hail: 1/2 inch
Worst Busts: 10-14-2013 (Saw a spectacular rainbow though)
Days I Wished I Chased: I wish I had been able to chase the recent Illinois outbreak
Windshields Cracked: 0
Times Stuck: 1 (Not weather related; car broke down on our way home from my first chase in Dallas)
Speeding Tickets: 0
Firsts:
First chase period
First chase in Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico.
First 'Tornado Emergency' (Wichita, KS on May 19th)
First time running across the Dominator Team (south of Chickasha, OK May 20th)

Lessons learned:
DO NOT CHASE INTO A HEAVILY POPULATED AREA. Made that mistake on May 19th in Wichita after the Viola, KS tornado dropped and the system moved into the city.
Avoid central parts of squall lines.
Trust your eyes over what your equipment says. Missed a potentially nice storm in mid-October in favor of a storm I didn't have a prayer of a chance to catch because radar said it was better despite my original target looking better visually.

These statistics include only days in which I chased setups with potential for significant severe weather, not local lightning, rainbow, etc. outings.

Chase Days: 10
Chase Miles: 4,856
Tornado Days: 1 definite (5/18, Rozel, KS), 1 possible (5/29, S of Sayre, OK)
Tornadoes: Same as above
Most photogenic and strongest tornado: 5/18, Rozel, KS EF-4. Not just the most photogenic and strongest for this year, but ever for me.
Tornadoes I did not see that occurred with storms I was on: 2 – I left happy but concerned about finding a motel room before the chaser hordes after the Rozel tornado, thus missing the subsequent tornado near Sanford. Then, the very next day, I was on the tornadic storm near South Haven, KS, but somehow managed to miss the tornado.
Interesting Weather Phenomena Seen: Tornado, thundersnow, non-tornadic funnel clouds, haboobs, gustnadoes, shelf clouds, dust devils (including one interacting with a supercell), microbursts, flash floods, and numerous supercells.
Largest hail:1-inch, 5/30, east of Chicasha, OK.
Highest wind: 71 mph, 6/17, east of Sheridan Lake, CO. This was measured by a spotter near my location.
States chased: CO, KS, OK, NE, NM
Lessons learned:
1. Being patient and sticking with a promising storm for hours can pay off big (Rozel, KS, 5/18)
2. Storms can rotate intensely and repeatedly, get tornado warnings, and produce funnel clouds without ever producing a tornado (Chicasha to Purcell, OK, 5/30). Still well worth chasing, though.
3. You can have a great chase day without ever seeing a tornado. (6/17 in eastern Colorado, when I encountered gustnadoes, a towering dust devil interacting with a supercell, the strongest wind I encountered this year, spectacular storm structure, hail accumulations, and pleasant, chatty, uncrowded chaser convergence).
4. In parts of southern Kansas and northern Oklahoma, they have a different idea of what constitutes a road than is the case in much of the rest of the world. On a non-chasing overseas trip, I learned that this is also true of Easter Island.
Broken windshields/speeding tickets/times stuck in mud, etc.: None of this, thankfully. Although I did have to replace a windshield broken by a flying rock in a non-chasing situation.

Chases: 8
Miles: 4,258.3
States: 6 (IA/IL/KS/NE/OK/TX)
Tornadoes: 6
Tornado Days: 5
Strongest Tornado: EF-5 (Newcastle/Moore, OK)
Tornadoes By State: KS: 2, OK: 2, IL: 1, NE: 1
Strongest Wind: 75-100MPH
Largest Hail: 1.00"
Days I Wished I Could Have Chased, But Couldn't: 5/27, 5/28, 5/29, 5/30, 5/31
Days I Shouldn't Have Chased: 4/9 - OK/TX ana-front nonsense.

Milestones/Firsts...
-Most consecutive chase days with tornadoes: 3 Days - 5/18, 5/19, 5/20
-Most consecutive calender days with tornadoes: 3 Days - 5/18, 5/19, 5/20
-First Fall tornado.
-First November tornado.
-First pre-birthday tornado.

Chases: 9
Mileage: 4706
States: TX, OK
# of Tornadoes: 5
Largest Hail: 3"
Tickets: 1 (Speeding / Hamlin,TX.)

I missed chasing many of the big days but I'm happy overall with what I saw. This year was a little sparse for me as other life issues were aggressively competing with my chase funds and time. Hopefully 2014 will be a little kinder.

Between getting married, and house hunting, I worked hard to get in a few chase days this year, and the lackluster effort showed.

No tornadoes for me in 2013. Things are settling down, and I'm hoping 2014 works out better for me, as well as all of us!

Tim

Tornadoes - 2
May 27 Esbon, KS
Oct 4 North of Sloan IA (started the day about 60 miles south of Wayne but did not see that tornado)

Largest Hail - Tennis ball sized May 27

Clearly most miles traveled, only been at this seriously though for 3 years.

My 2013 Chase Stats

Probably the most consistent 3 week chasecation I've ever had, despite seeing more tornadoes in both 2010 and 2011. 21 days with only a couple of chases I consider us not being on the storm of the day! Stats as follows:

Dates Chased - May 17th - June 7th
Miles: Approximately 7200
Tornado Days: 5(ish)
Tornado Day 1: - 18th May - Rozel and Sanford tornadoes
Tornado Day 2: - 19th May - Edmond, Arcadia, Carney, Prague Tornadoes
Tornado Day 3: - 20th May - Moore EF5
Tornado Day 4: - 27th May - Smith Centre - Weak spin up seen from distance. Only really satisfied it was a tornado having seen other video of the event
Tornado Day 5: - 31st May - El Reno

Biggest Bust: 28th May - Stayed in Salina overnight, but played down towards Great Bend and then got suckered south rather than heading back to storms forming near our overnight hotel. Missed the hour long Bennington Wedge.
Best Structure: Tied between May 26th Broken Bow, Nebraska and June 3rd near Booker, Texas, arguably any bit as good a chase as the tornado days.

Chases: 5 +
Chase days: March - May
Tornadoes: 2
States: CO,OK,TX

BUST: 5/18, 5/20, 5/31
GOOD: 5/15 (Cleburne,TX Wedge), 5/17 (Eliasville,TX Tornadoes)

Back