Poll: Print edition of Stormtrack

Did you recieve/read Stormtrack hardcopies?

• I never knew before there was a print edition in the past.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I knew of the print edition, but never subscribed/read a hardcopy

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • I subscribed to Stormtrack Magazine for whole or part of it's hardcopy history.

Votes: 37 43.5%

• Total voters

Jason Foster

The threads about the old days and other comments of how Stormtrack has changed got me thinking....how many here actually remember the history of Stormtrack or even realize it started as a printed Magazine.

So I'm starting a poll asking just those questions. I also wonder for those who did get the print edition remember most about it.

It should also be pointed out that many past issues are found online too. There was an old thread that I found (will have to find it again) and post the link.

Wow, that sure takes me back. I dug some of my old copies out that I have saved from the 1997-2001 timeframe. I haven't looked at those in years. I'm flipping through some of them while I am waiting on the day 1 outlook to be posted!!!

The print editions of Stormtrack were great, I was subscribed to it from about 1995 on, was also subscribed to the Weatherwise magazine for about the same duration. Not sure if Weatherwise is still printed.

The print editions of Stormtrack were great, I was subscribed to it from about 1995 on, was also subscribed to the Weatherwise magazine for about the same duration. Not sure if Weatherwise is still printed.

Yeah Weatherwise is still around http://www.weatherwise.org/. I used to subscribe to it as well, but now I think you can find most of the articles online. Nice magazine, but you'll pay $5+/issue if you want the print version. I have only seen the magazine offered in one book store around town and I think it was Borders.

Just checked out Weatherwise... $45 for 4 issues!

I would have loved to get StormTrack but that was before my time as a weather nut. I'd love to get an archive on CD or something if it was made available.

I couldn't even wait to get back into the house before flipping through each issue as I pulled them from the mailbox! That was before I even had a computer & knew there was a Stormtrack website. I recently purchased the Stormtrack Collection on CD-ROM from Tim Marshall at the convention last month. Good stuff!

Just checked out Weatherwise... $45 for 4 issues!

Wow, it is up to that much now? I quit subscribing a few years ago. I think it was $32 for 6 issues back in 2007. I am no business guru, but I wonder if it ever crossed their mind that maybe lowering the price would add more business? If I ran a company I would rather sell my product for a lesser amount and have more customers as opposed to jacking up the price and only end up with a small group of customers.

I loved getting those print editions...I'd usually start reading before I got in the house with them :D

I had a subscription to Weatherwise off and on too, but now I just grab a peek at Borders. You can access the articles online?

When I started chasing in 1991, Stormtrack Magazine and chaser videos were basically my only links to the world of chasing for 50 weeks of the year. I owe a great debt of gratitude to the folks who spent all of the time and effort to write the articles, draw the diagrams, put the issues together, etc. You know who you are, and thank you very much! When Stormtrack Magazine was retrieved from the mailbox, I did absolutely nothing until every word was read! To this day, if someone asks me how to improve as a chaser, I will suggest that they read all of the back issues of Stormtrack Magazine (by getting the CD-ROM).

On this web site it indicates the year that each member joined. Why don't we indicate when each member began subscribing to the publication that got it all started (for those of us who did?).

Bill Reid

I think what I remember most about the old ST mags (more like newsletters, really) were the pretty hilarious drawings. Don't remember who did those. I also remember my dad, way back when, purchasing a "tornado simulator" for my XT computer via the classifieds in the back. This was a tremendous waste of money, since the "simulator" was really just some program that would animate a 2D black and white blob up and down into a cloud, but I would sit there and stare at it, anyway.

I think what I remember most about the old ST mags (more like newsletters, really) were the pretty hilarious drawings. Don't remember who did those. I also remember my dad, way back when, purchasing a "tornado simulator" for my XT computer via the classifieds in the back. This was a tremendous waste of money, since the "simulator" was really just some program that would animate a 2D black and white blob up and down into a cloud, but I would sit there and stare at it, anyway.

That would be David Hoadley, founder of Storm Track back in 1977 and did many of the drawing and cartoons.

From Wikipedia:
Storm Track was the first magazine for and about storm chasing. It was started in 1977 by chasing pioneer David Hoadley, following an informal meeting of storm chasers at an American Meteorological Society conference. The magazine was published bi-monthly. In 1986 editorship was handed over to Tim Marshall, a storm damage engineer (and meteorologist). Production of paper issues ceased in 2002 after a 25-year run, however, the online version was started in 1996 and continues to this day primarily in the form of a large discussion board.

I believe Tim Marshall wrote the Wikipedia and here is his write up from 1987 in the Print edition about David:
http://www.stormtrack.org/library/people/hoadley.htm

Bump!

With all the talk about the $5 fee in the other thread, and a comments about the old printed edition, reminded me of this thread I started.

I need to start a similar thread to see if anyone would pay for a new printed version....unless there is a thread already.

As of this post it is:
13 choice #1
25 choice #2
32 choice #3

I need to start a similar thread to see if anyone would pay for a new printed version....unless there is a thread already.

I would love to see StormTrack Magazine come back and would totally subscribe to it if it ever did. I wonder if someone would be allowed to revive it again? Popularity in storm chasing has grown tremendously with a lot more people involved in storm chasing or interested in it than back in the 70's, 80's and 90's I wonder if more people would subscribe to it now than back then?

I would love to see it come back or something similar to it.

I have been thinking lately about getting with Tim Marshall and David Hoadley to do a one-time special print edition of Stormtrack to raise money for a good cause. I miss those old publications. There's no way it would be a resurrected thing, though, as it's too much work and is made largely redundant by the Internet.

Tim

I subscribed intermittently for several years toward the end.

I miss David's illustrations and am downright distraught at losing Funnel Funnies. :(

Tim, does Dave have the spare time to whip up an occasional comic we could share on the forum? I'd gladly send him some beer money! :)

Last edited:
Back