Please, try to have some compassion.

I still agree with what Mike Gribble had to say...he was only making a point that people who could have evacuated didn't, which makes them idiots.

This was never an all inclusive statement! And it is in no doubt correct.

When people are told to leave and they choose not to, the consequences are of their own creation.

Does any person enjoy the fact that some that chose not to leave may die? Hardly! No person ever made that point..least as far as I can tell.

Pat

Another little thing that sort of fits in with this...I've caught some static for thinking this was a great storm. Why? Wasn't it?

No person can control what happens in the end...that doesn't mean those that enjoy storms need to feel any guilt just because one did tremendous amounts of damage....No storm watcher likes that, but they still like the storm.

Any of you guys have any thoughts on this?..Yo can't control what a storm does, but you can still admire it for what it is!

Thanks for the understanding Mike. And always stick to your guns.

I have asked the question myself, "Why didn't they leave?" Then I extend the question, why didn't the government build the levees higher? Certainly they knew this could happen. Why didn't Gulfport, of all places, after Camille, enforce building codes like there are here in Okinawa? (which suffers almost no damage from strong typhoons) Why didn't New Orleans hurry up their slow place of rebuilding the levees to prevent this? Why did Brett Farves' mom and grandfather have to ride out the storm in their attic? (certainly they had the means to flee) Why, why, why....

The sad thing is that it will happen again, probably in our lifetimes. Heck, it looks like a strong typhoon is on its way to Okinawa with winds forecast to be 140 knots. (and no where to evacuate to!) Needless to say, at least for this generation, most people in the US will evacuate.

Have a great day!
Tom

I have read several posts recently that have been very critical of these people's choices to stay in harms way. Hear me when I say that I agree with the fact that they should have left IF they had the means to.

They chose to live in an area that floods. We should not have to subsidize them for risky behavior. The looters sure look fit (or fat) enough to carry off big screen TVs. The looters don't look they are starving...

I wonder what the dog walker is thinking today?

Why did Brett Farves' mom and grandfather have to ride out the storm in their attic? (certainly they had the means to flee) Why, why, why....
people stay for several reasons.... afraid they cant get back to their house after storm.. protect it from looters... cant leave... no where to stay...no gas...and then some stay so they can loot. ( like half the people in new orleans).
I live in pensacola area and have experience many evacuations. I chose to stay with my property with the knowledge my home survay puts my house at 33 feet. may not seem like much but its enough elevation for me. my folks live at 14 feet, they leave.
99% of the home owners around here do not know the elevation of their property. The elevation in This lil ole blue coller neighborhood is worth more than that beatiful view. [/list]

Why are people who are going to do nothing more than be cold-hearted and critical even coming to ST and reading this forum (much less participating in it)? I guess they believe it's best to kick people when they're down. Some of the responses from regulars on this forum have made me shudder at what it must cause some of the guests to think of storm chasers.

Chasers have enough of an image problem already. But they are also human. It is no more surprising that we would have a variety of beliefs just like every other group of people does. No handful of people here posting those beliefs is going to be perceived as speaking for the entire group by anybody of moderate intelligence.

And who cares what those of less than moderate intelligence think? :lol:

Back