Pentax K200D: Smallest and cheapest WEATHER-PROOF DSLR body

DSLR camera debates around here normally tend to come down to Nikon vs Canon. If you have invested in a particular manufacturer's mount for your lens arsenal, then (unless you are independently wealthy) you probably won't be looking to change camera manufacturer anytime soon.

However, if you have yet to invest in extra lenses or are still deciding on a DSLR, I think the Pentax K200D warrants your consideration. Two features in particular deserve your attention:
  1. The most significant change of the K200D is its weather-proofed body. This mean that the K200D becomes the smallest and cheapest weather-proof DSLR
  2. It also becomes the only weather-proof DSLR that CAN use Alkaline AA batteries.
Note that it can also use Li-ion and NiMH rechargables, but it is nice to know that in a pinch you could use the AAs available at any convenience store (a boon to anyone who's ever run out of juice unexpectedly).

The "weather-proof" could be a HUGE plus for chasers.

The camera is getting rave reviews from users at Amazon. Digital Photography's review is here. Reviewers even like the KIT lens, it seems!

I also like the fact that you can use older mount Pentax lenses on the camera (with adapters). Naturally you lose many of the capabilities of the modern auto-everything lenses, but it is nice to have that option.

Perhaps a more significant advantage to Pentax's approach is that you get image stabilization with any Pentax lens. (Their anti-shake reduction is built into the BODY). Which can be a significant money-saver over having to buy dedicated image-stabilization lenses.

The K200D seems to also have plenty of power for advanced photographers (23 custom programmable functions) but also has features beneficial to those who are new to shooting with a DSLR. Ergonomics sound impressive also: Changing exposure values on the fly (for example) or switching to RAW or RAW+JPEG mode on the fly. Even switching resolution on the fly (if you are concerned about filling your card, for instance).

FYI: There is also a $100 cash rebate on the K200D until July 26th.

Official Pentax product page.
Steve's Digicam Review

Last edited by a moderator:
Weather proofing seems like a non-issue to me for chasing, unless one plans to take the thing swimming somewhere.

Pentax's site uses the term "weather resistant" instead of weather-proof. (With "weather proof" people DO think they can take it swimming.) :) I think the weather resistance is a big deal. Realizing you don't have to dive into your car at the first rain drop to protect your precious digital body would be a peace-of-mind factor, even if I don't PLAN on standing out in the rain to take photos. Heck, Canon's own specs on the XT say:
Code:
Working Humidity Range: 85% or less
Not exactly a peace-of-mind-inducing spec.

I think this camera and kit lens has A LOT going for it, particularly when (with the $100 rebate right now) you would be comparing it with a (much) older Canon XT or a Nikon D40 (for the same outlay of cash). It has far more capabilities and build/optical quality than either of them.

I think a BIG plus is the kit lens. The Pentax kit lens was already considered superior to either Canon or Nikon's. Now they have upped the ante with the Next Generation of that lens: Amazon reviews. In addition to sharper optics, Pentax has a metal (stainless steel) lens mount (compared to plastic on the others).

Another plus seems to be the way the Pentax performs at higher ISOs (noise). I love Canons, but they seem to be trailing the pack in this area.

I also like the fact that the Pentax has a stainless steel chassis. I don't mind the extra weight (22.2 oz without batteries, 24.3 oz with batteries compared to the XT's stated 17.1 oz). I dislike the plastic-y feel of the digital Rebels (as opposed to the "real" camera feel of the 20D, for example). Sounds like the K200D is more substantial and I like that.

I also like that the K200D has spot metering available (in addition to center-weighted metering).

The LCD is 2.7" as opposed to the XT's 1.8" (huge huge difference of 230,000 pixels to 115,000 pixels).

And the sensor itself is not only more megapixels (10.2 vs 8), but 12% physically larger than the XT's.

Add to that the previously mentioned body-based shake reduction (as opposed to Image Stabilization in the lenses). Dollar for dollar, this camera has a LOT going for it. The only real CON I can find against it, is its continuous shooting buffer performance. From what I'm reading, this can be partially dealt with by using a higher performance SD card. I don't think that CON offsets all the PROs for the money.

My only point is you don't have to go diving into the vehicle at the first drop of rain as it is with the other cams.

This is actually what I did with mine the very first day I had it: http://www.extremeinstability.com/06-4-27.htm I played in the rain!

I've put both my "not exactly a peace-of-mind-inducing spec'd" rebels through pretty much all anyone is going to while chasing. Not even the slightest problem. Blizzards(as in 70mph + ones and standing out in them), extended periods out in -25F, plenty of rain, dust, etc. All fine and dandy. No mechanical meltdowns.

But hey, if someone thinks they really need that extra "protection" have at it. I just hope it's not one of the biggest deciding factors.

Hell, here's the last location I had my rebel shooting from, lol.

http://www.extremeinstability.com/stormpics/2008/08-7-4-6283.jpg
http://www.extremeinstability.com/stormpics/2008/08-7-4-6362.jpg
http://www.extremeinstability.com/stormpics/2008/08-7-4-6363.jpg

The K200D is a nice looking camera, and would definitely be worth a look. I already had some Canon glass so the XTi was a natural choice for me. I've also had mine out in the rain and snow with no issues.

The image stabilization goes both ways. In-camera IS would be nice as it works with all lenses. However, the system can work better in the lens as it can be optimized for the specific focal length. So, that advantage just depends on what you intend to do with the camera. If I were planning to shoot with long telephotos, I'd go with in-lens IS.

I haven't played with a K200D so I can't comment personally on the high ISO noise, but I question the comment about Canon trailing the pack in this area. My research prior to purchasing the XTi showed a consensus that Canon was the leader in low noise at high ISO's. This is changing somewhat as the new Nikons appear to be better, but Canon is by no means bad.

Puttin' my money where my mouth is...

Well, I've been agonizing over this decision and it came down to the Pentax K200D vs the Canon XSi. (Comparing it with the not-yet-available Canon XS would have been a fairer comparison). I have no digital glass inventory to affect my decision.

HTML:
Pentax 	Canon
K200D	XSi			
_______|______

x			Weather-resistant/Dust-resistant sealing (60+)
x			True spot metering
x			Shake reduction built into body ($$$/slower IS 
			lenses unnecessary)
x			Metal chassis (HATE the cheap plastic-y feel 
			of Rebels, Nikon D40 not much better)
x			Stainless steel lens mount (others are plastic)
x			Kit lens you don't have to be embarrassed over
x			ISO/sensitivity-priority mode available
x			Takes AA (not proprietary) batteries
x			Top LCD display
x			Ability to use old glass (K-mount and even 
			screw mount w/adapter)
x			Ergonomics - button/wheel placement
x			After rebate: $300 left in my pocket (over 
			the XSi)
5	4-1/2	No. of stars in Amazon.com Reader Reviews

Also like: That K200D image quality is always mentioned. 
		Pentax has excellent lens/coating 
		reputation. Also, higher ISO noise is often specifically 
		mentioned as being very good in reviews.

If I were independently wealthy or making money off of my photography, I'd defininitely be reaching for the Nikon D3, (and if wasn't paying for three daughter's weddings I'd be comparing the Canon 40D with the Pentax K20D). If I had an investment already made in one mount's lenses, it would take a lot to move me off that brand. But since I'm starting from scratch, I can evaluate from scratch.

Just can't ignore those things that are important to me, just because it doesn't have a Canon or Nikon name badge on it. At an after-rebate price of $500, it is just too much bang-for-the-buck. Order placed.

I have gotten my K10D quite wet on a few occasions with their non weather proof lenses and have had no problems yet. The K20 / K200 series is supposed to be better yet so you surely couldn't have went too wrong.

I have used my D40 in the rain, and just last night I was camping, left my camera just in the case, didnt close it, in the morning there was dew all over it, no problems yet, hopefully none to come either.

Just a short update. After reading everything I could get my hands on, and checking out forums, etc. I decided to "pull the trigger" before the rebate period expired and ordered the Pentax K200D kit from Amazon.

The camera is everything that I had hoped it would be and I'm very pleased with my choice. I'm hoping to become very familiar with it by next chase season, so using (by then) will hopefully be second nature.

If there is anything that Pentax really needs to improve in, it is their marketing. Your company isn't deriving the full benefits of an exclusive feature if nobody knows about it. For example, a forum post made me aware of something I have available to me on the K200D that I don't even see mentioned in the official manual:
Another thing not often mentioned is the efficient and convenient Hyper system for Program mode and Manual mode. This allows instant intervention and control in Program mode, and very fast, efficient operation in Manual mode. You mention precision spot metering. Well, that used in Manual mode, combined with the Hyper system instant set with a touch of a button, will provide the fastest operation in the industry for taking multiple spot meter readings of a scene in the Manual mode, which is often used for spot metering.
Furthermore, when using the Hyper manual system, you can activate tandem operation for even faster control. Say, for instance, you have hit the button for instant set of exposure, but would opt for a different shutter speed while keeping the exposure as set. Just hit the AE-L button to lock exposure, then simply turn the dial to the desired shutter speed, and the aperture will follow suit!! Same with choosing the aperture- the shutter speed will follow suit! No other brand provides this kind of operational superiority. With others, you have to adjust the shutter speed control and the aperture control separately, until your meter reading indication reflects a good exposure, in the usual slow manner. In reviewing the K10D, dpreview referred to the Pentax Hyper system in terms of- simplicity itself, and a stroke of pure genius.

With all the research I did, I didn't find out about this until after I had purchased the camera!

Figured I would make my first StormTrack post about my K200D.

I love my K200D, got it from Amazon also.

My first DSLR and I agree finding all the features on it are a pain.

For one the dust reduction is turned off by default?

Otherwise I love the camera, just need to drop some bills on a couple of lenses now.

My understanding is that the K200 is using the K10's sensor? I would be curious to see how much improved processing there is.
That is correct, my boss has the K10 and was the one who convinced me to buy the camera. I have to confess I really don't know that much about it yet.

He did say the menus are much different on my camera, we have both been searching how to increase the sharpness and contrast in the JPEG conversion.

Another problem has been the new raw format is not supported in CS2 and needs CS3 to open directly.

I only have the kit lens, for auto-focus. One nice thing about the Pentax is that, unlike most kit lenses, you don't have to be embarrassed over it. It's widely respected as pretty decent lens, in its own right. My goal is to have an ultrawide by Spring (I'm hoping that Pentax announces their version of the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 at the upcoming Photokina.)

Other than that, the manual focus 85mm Zeiss will be my medium telephoto and I'm planning on picking up a vintage manual focus Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 for my effective 200mm lens. That should cover me for a while without having to spend a ton of coin.

Oh yeah, then there is my special project Macro lens:
2754888119_f064ddddce.jpg

2755721080_0f0d2950ba.jpg

A 1930 Zeiss-Ikon Maximar that I made into a 105mm f/4.5 macro for my K200D.

Assuming you want to go the more traditional autofocus route there is a good range of Pentax DA and DA* models, and a lot of respected third party lenses, like Sigma.

Back