Oroville....California's version of Moore

Jeff Wear

EF5
Tornado causes damage in Oroville CA on Saturday afternoon.....

http://www.chicoer.com/Stories/0,1413,135~...2643816,00.html
http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KSAC/0501090140.nwus56.html

This was the fourth tornado to do damage within the Oroville city limits since 1992.....here are the others (data from the NCDC Storm Events database)

Code:
Location or County   Date      Time   Type   Mag  Dth   Inj  PrD

BUTTE                12/17/1992 1620 Tornado  F1    0     4  2.5M

Oroville             02/10/1994 1428 Tornado  F2    0     2  5.0M

Oroville             03/10/1994 1930 Tornado  F0    0     0  500K

The most amazing news bit I have seen about the series of storms to affect CA is from a CNN article currently listed as a "top story":

"The string of moisture-laden storms has dropped up to 19 feet of snow at elevations above 7,000 feet since December 28 and 6 1/2 feet at lower elevations in the Reno area. Meteorologists said it was the most snow the Reno-Lake Tahoe area has seen since 1916."

19 feet of snow is an absolutely unbelieveable total. I can't imagine 228 inches of snow in a whole season or even three seasons here in the NM mountains....much less in just 1 1/2 weeks.

Haha, this is interesting since my aunt lives in Oroville. I haven't heard anything from her about this one though.

What's interesting is she can get in the car and drive up the hills and in about ten minutes be in all the snow....

Originally posted by Austin Ivey
The most amazing news bit I have seen about the series of storms to affect CA is from a CNN article currently listed as a \"top story\":

\"The string of moisture-laden storms has dropped up to 19 feet of snow at elevations above 7,000 feet since December 28 and 6 1/2 feet at lower elevations in the Reno area. Meteorologists said it was the most snow the Reno-Lake Tahoe area has seen since 1916.\"

19 feet of snow is an absolutely unbelieveable total. I can't imagine 228 inches of snow in a whole season or even three seasons here in the NM mountains....much less in just 1 1/2 weeks.

Makes me wonder just how the heck they dig out from all of that, it has to go somewhere...

I have not hear any additional information on the ventura twister. The nws had issued a warning plenty in advance, while the cell was still over the pacific. Only thing is we have no tornado sirens, shelters, etc out here.

Back