Newbie Here!

TonyLunn

Hellos All!

For Christmas, I am getting a wireless Davis Vantage Pro2 weather station. I also plan to order the Weatherlink software for USB connection. Following are my concerns:

1- I plan to attach the sensor suite to the side of our chimney. Once attached, the sensors will be positioned approximately 2 feet above the chimney top. I am assuming this would be a satisfactory, if not great, location for the sensors. Any feedback would be appreciated ............. especially those who have done this or know of others who have done this.

2- I have read where some individuals have had problems with the USB connected software. Are there any individuals here at Stormtrack who have the USB connected software and have had good results? Surely, Davis wouldn't continue to sell the USB version if it has serious flaws ......... correct??????

Thanks in advance for helping!

TV

1- I plan to attach the sensor suite to the side of our chimney. Once attached, the sensors will be positioned approximately 2 feet above the chimney top. I am assuming this would be a satisfactory, if not great, location for the sensors. Any feedback would be appreciated ............. especially those who have done this or know of others who have done this.

The closest to ASOS-type heights and distances, the better... Especially if you plan on sharing the data. You'll want to research that.

-John

Ideally you want your temperature gauge at 2m and the anemometer at 10m. This is ideal and the closer you can get to these heights the better.

I have a Davis Vantage Pro connected via USB with no problems.

Besides what has been mentioned, you will undoubtedly get some inadequate temperature reading from the chimney/flue (ie..heat source). It is extremely important to have those units located away from anything that can be obstructed. You'd better off placing it somewhere else on the roof..

When I worked on TV, the yahoos installed the weather station next to the school's flue/exhaust for the boiler/heating system. The highs were 180F with lows near 5. Quite a warm frontal passage must have occurred. DOH.

Thanks for the information!

We are located in South Carolina and it doesn't get extemely cold here. Of course, cold enough for some heating .............. but we do not use our fireplace for heating at all. We have a heat pump, so there are absolutely no fumes or exhaust going up the chimney.

I would still like to mount the wind sensor as high as practical. And, the chimney will put it about 35 feet off the ground. So, based on everyones input, I think I will mount the other sensors about 6 feet high out in the middle of the lawn.

Now, for my final question: The anemometer comes equipped with a 40 foot cable. This will not reach from the chimney to the other sensors on the ground. I will therefore need to order additional cable and extend the cable run by approximately 75 feet. Would it be a mistake extending the cable run? Will I encounter any signal loss? Any other thoughts?

Thanks so much! TV

Back